• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From aportnoy's picture, my Edwardian swatch looks like it's between maple and acorn, with a slight lean to maple. You can now see why I'm so hesitant to order anything in that material.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Edwardian Oundle and it's more of a light tan color mixed with a hint of gold. Some seem to be on the yellow side. I agree it's a tough leather to know just what you're getting. You can try and put in a request and show photos, but it's never guaranteed.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm...well it is harder to make a leather lighter than it is to make it darker, which makes me want to just roll the dice on Edwardian rather than go for chestnut. Somehow chestnut looks more like a wingtip than a Dover to me. Not sure why. I think if I were going to go darker, I'd get Burnt Pine instead.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ragazzo, just saw your post about tobacco suede.

I was between tobacco, coffee, and nutmeg for a while. Tobacco seems too eccentric and orange-y for my taste, but that doesn't mean it's not right for others. I liked coffee and nutmeg better, but all this is just from online photos. Again, I may be able to give you a better impression when these swatches come, which should be next week. Nutmeg to my eye seems like a slightly less orange-y version of tobacco.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Somewhat related, TSR, a blog I really like but is unfortunately no longer updated, has this interesting article on suede.

http://www.thesimplyrefined.com/brown-suede-shoes-hot-cold/

Thought you may be interested. It may be good to think about when choosing suede colors, esp since you're considering both G&G and EG, both of which are mentioned in that post.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Raggzo, just saw your post about tobacco suede.

I was between tobacco, coffee, and nutmeg for a while. Tobacco seems too eccentric and orange-y for my taste, but that doesn't mean it's not right for others. I liked coffee and nutmeg better, but all this is just from online photos. Again, I may be able to give you a better impression when these swatches come, which should be next week. Nutmeg to my eye seems like a slightly less orange-y version of tobacco.

Thanks for the comments - I think your assessment is correct from the pics I have seen too. Now that I'm committed to getting the GG St.James II in polo suede, I think I'll go for calf on these Dovers. But if I did suede, I'd get nutmeg instead of tobacco. Polo is already perhaps one eccentric suede too many.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Somewhat related, TSR, a blog I really like but is unfortunately no longer updated, has this interesting article on suede.

http://www.thesimplyrefined.com/brown-suede-shoes-hot-cold/

Thought you may be interested. It may be good to think about when choosing suede colors, esp since you're considering both G&G and EG, both of which are mentioned in that post.

Ah yes I remember that post - unfortunate (for me) that he has moved on to write exclusively on watches or some such.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ah yes I remember that post - unfortunate (for me) that he has moved on to write exclusively on watches or some such.

Yea, I'm still upset about that. Good for Hodinkee, but a sad loss for people like me. TSR was a great site.

Regarding the calf, I think I'm getting a pair in burnt pine, but was also considering chestnut. However, I thought if it were to be chestnut, it might be better in the boot form of the Halifax. No idea why I feel that, but the color seems better as boot leather to me.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks gents. I'm thinking of getting a Dover, 606 last. Suggestions for a leather? I was thinking a mid brown plain calf. I have the GG split toe blucher in dark oak peccary and will also get one in mid brown hatch grain.

10.5 eg. hald size up from cj, same size gg.

dark oak is the only acceptable dover. no grain.

btw - photos of your dark oak peccary GG?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm...you see chestnut as a boot, I see it as a wingtip. We both agree it's not a Dover! I tend away from boots in straight calf. With the extra expanse of unadorned leather, I prefer something with more surface interest - a grain, suede, or cordovan...which doesn't have a rough finish like the others, but develops waviness over time and also just looks different from the normal calf shoe and is therefore more interesting purely by virtue of its rarity.

I have talked myself into the burnt pine on the Dovers. Done and done.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to, just not sure I can get there today before the Edwards of Manchester sale ends

Sky is still clearing out all of their EG Inventory. IIRC they are at about 25 - 30% off ( and they had Dovers in Dark Oak last weekend). Not Edwards pricing, but decent and they are great guys...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmm...you see chestnut as a boot, I see it as a wingtip. We both agree it's not a Dover! I tend away from boots in straight calf. With the extra expanse of unadorned leather, I prefer something with more surface interest - a grain, suede, or cordovan...which doesn't have a rough finish like the others, but develops waviness over time and also just looks different from the normal calf shoe and is therefore more interesting purely by virtue of its rarity.

I have talked myself into the burnt pine on the Dovers. Done and done.
mistake

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

10.5 eg. hald size up from cj, same size gg.

dark oak is the only acceptable dover. no grain.

btw - photos of your dark oak peccary GG?

If I didn't already have the Hoves, I'd get dovers in dark oak (if you're lucky and your size is available, Sky Valet carries this exact shoe). Wearing the Hoves right now:

I got them from Leffot, their pictures are surely better:

http://leffot.com/shop/gaziano-girling-hove/

If I had to choose, I'd probably prefer the MH71 on these shoes (that's what I'm getting on my hatch grains), but that's very picky.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sky is still clearing out all of their EG Inventory. IIRC they are at about 25 - 30% off ( and they had Dovers in Dark Oak last weekend). Not Edwards pricing, but decent and they are great guys...

I think the Dovers were ~$1k...they didn't have my size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads