1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Ancel: [​IMG] I wonder if EG can switch the elastic strap with a leather one...

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

FWIW, I do not recommend the metal toe taps. I had them (factory installed) on one of my EG MTO, and there are two drawbacks:
    1) Conspicous tapping/scraping sound whenever you're walking on tile, cement, asphalt, or any other hard surface.
    2) Lack of traction as you push off of your foot, as the metal slides rather than griping like leather would.

These are not insurmountable depending on taste, but I highly prefer my EGs that do not have metal plates.

Also, in my experience, 888 lasted EGs with very extensive all weather wear have not worn badly at all at the toe. For my 82 and other round-lasted pairs, even though they wore down to the bottom of the stitching in not too long, once that square edge in front is worn off, the wear slows down dramatically. I have some 82-lasted Clavertons that I've worn for 3-4 years once a week, all weather, in NYC walking to/from work, and they are not yet at risk of being worn to the welt in front, since the sole just rounds off from the bottom of the shoe to the front with normal wear.

This may vary depending on gait etc.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

I have other shoes with steel taps so I was aware of both these 'issues' and I admit it took some time to get used to it, but now I prefer the steel and hence
    I wanted it with the factory installed version since I think it looks much better.

But you do have a point in that it might not be everyones preference.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Metal heel plates are noisy as hell, but I find metal toe taps all but silent. I'd have them on every shoe if I could.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Always have toe taps (metal is my preference) since I do wear the toes down quickly. Good to know the factory can do flushed.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Not my thing ....

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

9. pwy95a

pwy95a Senior member

10. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

+1. I actually dozed off looking at those models.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

PSA - Sky Valet website is showing most models on sale for $875. Unfortunately they are showing in all D widths and I really need a E in EG.

12. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Thank You Sir

13. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

yep, I posted a thread about this last week. unfortunately, the majority of their D sizes are sold out. too bad because I was eyeing their EG Beaulieu's for some time and was bummed that my size was sold out almost immediately.

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

The CBD gods will shun the non-believers.

15. laufer

laufer Senior member

I believe the Galway has unlined shaft. Is C&J shaft fully lined? Which of these two do you find more comfortable?

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

feel your pain. wanted to instakop Beaulieu and Claverton

17. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Both the boots have unlined legs. In fact, most models of this type of boot have unlined legs - I can only think of a very few similar models that don't, and I very much doubt that they would appeal to the aesthetics of most members on here (Alfred Sargent's Selkirk or Kelso models being the most obvious).

They're both wide-fitting, and are very comfortable for tramping in. The C&J boot would be better if it were half a size smaller but I'm coping admirably with it...

18. laufer

laufer Senior member

Thank you. I have C & J Avebury model with the fully lined legs but this is dress boot. I recently tried AS Cambridge and that boot had fully lined legs too albeit the area in shaft was very soft. Thanks for the input.

19. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

All my dress (Shannon, DCLewis bal boots, C&J Somerville, AS Miller, G&G Wigmore) & country (Tricker's Stow, C&J Islay, AS Fordham) boots are fully lined but it's my preference to have more ankle support. However, I heard many of the traditional veldtschoen boots have unlined shafts because zug leather was pretty durable.

20. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Yeah, and veldt boots and shoes have double uppers; the inner upper is welted normally and the outer upper is turned out and stitched down to the midsole to give the boot a double level of protection from the elements. That, and the combination of heavier leathers, mean that the boots tend to be hefty enough without having an additional lining.