• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing

fromuio

Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

RLPL 44R nailhead suit end in 45 minutes at $100, no bids yet.

Mini-houndstooth check, actually.

I'd been watching it for a few days and I put in a snipe but the price was already above my bid - it looks as though everyone sniped in the last 30 secs of the auction.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Mini-houndstooth check, actually.

I'd been watching it for a few days and I put in a snipe but the price was already above my bid - it looks as though everyone sniped in the last 30 secs of the auction.

Hard to tell on my phone
tounge.gif

Were they all SF members or is sniping catching on?
eh.gif

theChangalang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I'm selling NWT solid navy and solid charcoal Southwick for Robert Talbott suits. Starting at $.99 Navy 38R
Lovely suit in just my size... Though I'm afraid someone who's not restricted to a college kid budget will probably snipe it out right under my nose.
frown.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theChangalang
Lovely suit in just my size... Though I'm afraid someone who's not restricted to a college kid budget will probably snipe it out right under my nose.
frown.gif

devil.gif

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An eBay noob question here...what is the protocol when checking with a seller whether he would be willing to convert an auction to a BIN for a negotiated price? I am talking about a case where the auction is setup to start at a particular price (say $250) but also has a BIN (say $400) and you want to negotiate a price somewhere in between. There are no bids yet on the item.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
An eBay noob question here...what is the protocol when checking with a seller whether he would be willing to convert an auction to a BIN for a negotiated price? I am talking about a case where the auction is setup to start at a particular price (say $250) but also has a BIN (say $400) and you want to negotiate a price somewhere in between. There are no bids yet on the item.

If he has a BIN set up, hes most likely not going to go low early in the auction, unless there is a best offer function. Id maybe ask him early on if he would be willing to entertain an offer between the prices a few days into the auction if it does not sell. You might want to gently remind him he would save about $75 in fees by doing it off eBay, so by no loss to him, he might pass the savings on to you.

Alternatively, you can gamble that the item does not sell, and message him "posthumously" and see if he he would do it off eBay for an even lower price than the opening bid.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ezlau
Ebay charges that much?
ffffuuuu.gif
how many % does ebay charge? Is it based on the range of sale prices or is it a fixed set %?

Maybe that was a little high, but yeah, its up there. Its a sliding scale up the dollar ladder. I just sold something for $355, and the FVF was $32, listing fee was $3, PP fee was like $18.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
If he has a BIN set up, hes most likely not going to go low early in the auction, unless there is a best offer function. Id maybe ask him early on if he would be willing to entertain an offer between the prices a few days into the auction if it does not sell. You might want to gently remind him he would save about $75 in fees by doing it off eBay, so by no loss to him, he might pass the savings on to you.

Alternatively, you can gamble that the item does not sell, and message him "posthumously" and see if he he would do it off eBay for an even lower price than the opening bid.

Thanks Spoo!

The bolded part (suggesting a transaction outside of eBay) - doesn't that constitute breaking some sort of eBay rules?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
Thanks Spoo!

The bolded part (suggesting a transaction outside of eBay) - doesn't that constitute breaking some sort of eBay rules?

Of course! But if you see my above post regarding the fees taken, most sellers are quick to see that logic for their net take.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads