1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ebay noob question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Feb 6, 2012.

1. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

How long should I give a buyer to make payment before I make a second chance offering? The auction ended on the 26th, and I haven't heard a peep from the winner. I've sent two invoices and messaged him once.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

After 10 days I consider all bets to be off.

3. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

I would warn him. 'Pay in 24 hours or I relist'. Check with ebay to make sure you're doing it rite.

4. theyare

theyare Senior member

I would open an unpaid item case (can only be done after 4 days). Then the case will be open for another 4 days before you can close it.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I agree, absolutely correct protocol and perfectly applicable in the days when buyers and sellers could neg each other. Now in the buyer dominated world of eBay, he could retaliate with negative feedback and seller could do nothing about it. I would just second chance offer it and if it works out with the other buyer, he would only be a buck or two short of the total.

6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    This. Also, check to see if you have a second chance offer available like Mr. Klobber said.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

7 days, move on. State that in your auction terms though.

8. Gravis

Gravis Member

+1...I sell a lot on ebay and this is the procedure I use. But I must say that I've been fortunate...this problem has not been a particular problem.

9. rollafan

rollafan Senior member

I never understood why some people can't pay the items immediately (within 24 hrs of auction ending). If they can't pay, why bid in the first place?

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I've been hit with a pretty high number. One guy was nice enough to say he couldn't pay but I hate the ones that ask questions and talk before hand, win the auction and then disappear

11. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

after 2 invoices and a message with no response I think it's time for 2nd chance offer. Yeah I hate how you can't neg buyers anymore. Now people just bid on a bunch of stuff and if they check in later to see that they won, they think about it then pay for the ones they really want, and just ignore the ones they impulse bidded on.
    Sure you get free relist, but subsequent relists don't mean shit, cause some of the bidders who lost and woulda paid move on or won't see the new listing. I haven't had someone accept a 2nd chance offer, probably because the price was at the top of their range and they probably think you colluded with someone to shill bid your stuff up to get the max gain. The other thing that annoys me is the time it takes to get rid of stuff. Say you do a 7 day listing Monday night, 1 week later it sells, if you wait 7 days for the asshole to not pay and relist it, by the time your auction ends the 2nd time around it's been 3 weeks

1 person likes this.
  12. theyare

theyare Senior member

To those who don't go through the whole process of opening an unpaid items case and seeing it through before offering a second chance offer to someone else:

What happens if the second chance offer is accepted and then out of the blue the original buyer shows up and pays? You would still be on the hook to the original buyer, no? Thus opening yourself up to an easy neg. feedback?

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive had this happen -

When sending a second chance, I message the buyer saying that the original buyer still has xxx amount of days to pay, but I am offering it to you preemptively. If the SCO takes it first, and its clearly noted in the auction terms that payment from the original buyer has xxx days to pay, I simply refund the original buyers money and refer them back to those terms.

14. theyare

theyare Senior member

15. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I am on my second day of waiting for payment for something.... I send an invoice within 15 minutes of the auction ending. Hope they pay [​IMG]

16. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Buyer wants to return an item I sold him; we are in disagreement about item quality, although I sold it in absolute good faith. He is asking for a 'significant price discount' which I have refused.

But my :violin: woes aside, whose responsibility is it to carry the cost of return shipping of the product to me?

And when I reimburse him after he returns the product, should I pay him his cost plus PP fees, or pay him just cost, so he east the PP fees (as I ate the fees when he paid me?)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  17. thebac

thebac Senior member

By Ebay/Paypal rules, return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer.

However, if the item is in fact of a lower quality than described, I would refund the return shipping, both because in that case you would be at fault and the buyer would almost certainly leave negative feedback if you don't. If you find that the item is exactly as described, you would be under no obligation to refund return shipping, moral or otherwise, but negative feedback is more likely. Of course, if you have already sufficiently ticked off your buyer you might get negative feedback regardless of whether you refund the return shipping or not.

With respect to the Paypal fees, if you refund the original payment, PP fees are refunded, so no one is out any PP fees (do not send a separate payment to the buyer, simply refund the original payment).

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I received a SC from a huge ebay seller (ebay consignment) only to find an hole in the fabric that was not listed. I offered to split the cost of repairs with her ($70 from without a trace, so $35 each) Is this against some sort of protocol? If she does not accept I will probably just return it. Item cost $120

19. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Thanks.

I want to make sure-- I refund after the buyer sends back the product, right?

Edit - just saw on eBay that I need to refund only when I get my product back.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  20. JiltedBuyer

JiltedBuyer Member

PiperSon is sending me so many weird emails, I had to join this forum to get to the bottom of this.

He posted the following in an ebay auction, after trying to sell the same shoes here for $300 without success:

"This is a brand new in box, first quality (not a second) burgundy shell cordovan Allen Edmonds Bradley. Please see pictures.
    I am letting it float at the minimum starting price so we can find it's fair market value.
    These retail for $550 plus shipping so get yourselves a bargain here.
    Please see pictures and ask me any questions because this item is NOT returnable (unless I have made material errors in representation)."

So, thinking these were as described, I won the auction. Only two pictures were posted, one view of the uppers, and one view of the soles. What is there to worry about though? After all, they are "BRAND NEW IN BOX" and "FIRST QUALITY (NOT A SECOND)"? Oddly, they were shipped Parcel Post, no signature confirmation, (in other words, if I claimed I never got them, without signature confirmation for over $250, I would have gotten a full refund back regardless of whether I sent them back or not) when it would have been cheaper to send them Priority Mail in a flat rate box. Anyway, here is what I received:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now, far be it from me to be a stickler, but this is not a "first quality" pair of shoes, and it really irked me that this person went over the top to describe them as "first quality (not second quality). You cannot really see it in these iphone photos, but the insoles say "Dalton" on them, and were bleached out. It is something not possible to NOT notice. Who knows what other flaws could be lurking in this shoe? To say they are "first quality" is an outright fabrication.

So, I had the gall to say to the seller "Unless you are willing to significantly discount the price, I want to return these."

Apparently, great offense was taken to this by PipersSon, and I was accused of all sorts of things, but my inquiries regarding the bleaching of these insoles was ignored.

In fairness, he did offer to take them back for a full refund, but since the item was blatantly mis-characterized, I maintain he should also pay my return shipping.

On an unrelated note, I can confirm that the Bradley Shell in Burgundy is a fantastic looking shoe (the uppers on these are nice, but the lining does have a bubble in it, which is another way to be 100% sure it is a second AT BEST, as if the wrong insole weren't enough of a clue).

So, I appeal to the jury of this Board, if I am over-reacting, then I encourage you to buy from PipersSon if he ever tries to sell anything else. If, however, you agree that the above pictures cannot be squared with a description of a "first quality" AE shell, then you have your warning for this fellow.