• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating in DC

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love scoring some Moby Dick when I am in DC.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were you replying to my question about delivery?

b

Originally Posted by spreadcollar
I haven't read the whole thread and don't know what you want exactly, but here are favorites off the top of my head from my days in DC:

Lunchy - Five Guys (chain), Amsterdam Falafelshop, The Greek Deli
Pasta Mia
Two Amy's
Fogo de Chao (chain)
Bistro du Coin, Montmartre, Les Halles
Almost any of the Ethiopian around Howard University
Russia House
Brunch - Cafe St. Ex
The sushi doesn't hold a candle to NYC, but the best are Sushi-Ko. and Sushi Taro

spreadcollar

Reaction score
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, delivery options are not a forte: Chinese, Thai, pizza, etc. If you're near Chix, it looks like they're starting lunch delivery soon. And, sorry, I didn't notice this was a resurrected thread from last year...
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Were you replying to my question about delivery? b

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this post is so long I didn't read it all if it hasn't been mentioned THE BEST
italian resurant in DC is al tirimisu on P ST NW between 21 and 22nd.
The staff is AWESOME and the food is consistently excellent.
If you need a table and they don't have one say "Mauro sent me" they will hook it up.

My favorite places to go in general are

AL TIRIMISU ( naturally)
Granville Moores on H ST
Pho 76 on Conn AVE NW ( quick and yummy)
Belga's on 8th ST SW
Mini Bar ( for a good night out)

I will think of more later but this is getting me hungry

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mauro, what about Champps?
laugh.gif

Family's coming to town this weekend, but I think we're going to hit the same old places: Dino, Bistro du Coin, etc.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only with you do I hit up Champps.
You should try bistro duck.

xtreamskyr

Reaction score
Many of these places haven't been mentioned, so here's my two cents:

I'd consider all of these very similar as far as pricing goes - $20-35 entrees.

Vidalia - Excellent American food with a southern flare. Great wine as well.

DC Coast, Acadiana, and Ceiba - all under same owner / management - Ten Penh is the last in this group, but I haven't been there. Each of these is very good though - DC Coast (seafood), Acadiana (southern flare), and Ceiba (probably my favorite of the three).

D'Acqua - Italian Seafood. Very good. Try the salt cod appetizer - excellent.

I Ricchi - probably the best Italian in the city, although rather pricey. Consistently getting awards. Very true Tuscan dining - lots of meats.

Cafe Atlantico - really good South American type food. A bit more lively than the others above.

Brasserie Beck - a bit loud but food was pretty decent. Large selection of Belgian beers, with a lot on tap and constantly rotating.

Zaytinya - priced differently, Greek/Lebanese tapas, but probably would amount to same bill total per person. Awesome food. Go with a somewhat large group so you can try a bunch of different things.

West End Bistro by Eric Ripert - his Le Bernardin in NYC is the best restaurant I've eaten in. This, although completely different, cannot compare to the restaurants listed above. It was overpriced, mediocre service, and food was a bit boring (it is very new so kinks could have been worked out by now or in future).

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I love scoring some Moby Dick when I am in DC.
I bet you do... ...because they have some of the best kabobs in the city.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xtreamskyr
Many of these places haven't been mentioned, so here's my two cents:

I'd consider all of these very similar as far as pricing goes - $20-35 entrees.

Vidalia - Excellent American food with a southern flare. Great wine as well.

West End Bistro by Eric Ripert - his Le Bernardin in NYC is the best restaurant I've eaten in. This, although completely different, cannot compare to the restaurants listed above. It was overpriced, mediocre service, and food was a bit boring (it is very new so kinks could have been worked out by now or in future).

I agree on the quality of food at Vidala and on the bland, plain fish prep at West End.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite restaurant just outside of D.C. (near my home) is Cafe Panache at 43135 Broadlands Center Plaza in Ashburn, Virginia -- definitely worth the trip if you're in the D.C. Metropolitan Area. Chef Jeff Galkin apprenticed at nearby L'Auberge Chez Francois, and he really knows his stuff. Try it -- you won't be disappointed.

Dr. J

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Ristorante Tosca, especially since some people were naming contenders for best Italian restaurant. I've enjoyed those mentioned (I Ricchi and Al Tiramisu) and many others (most memorably, the now-defunct Galileo, Laboratorio del Galileo, and Maestro). But Tosca is currently the best. (Obelisk, the only other possible contender right now, is a little unpredictable).

My wife and I are both obsessive foodies; we eat out for every single meal. But Tosca is so impressive that we keep a standing reservation for every Saturday night. For a great value, I think they offer a three-course pre-theater menu for $35. It should be available before 7pm.

rdawson: DC is very weak for delivery. Off the top of my head, the places that deliver in my neighborhood (Penn Quarter) are: Chop't Salad, Potbelly Sandwiches, Thai Chili, Sushi-go-Round, Wok and Roll, maybe Full Kee, and a few of the uninteresting Chinese restaurants that still cling to the area that was formerly Chinatown. Don't look for decent Chinese or Thai food in DC. Oh, you asked for good delivery. Ignore my post.

There are also a few delivery services like Alacarte Express, Takeout Taxi, and DC Snacks. Yep...
plain.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Full Kee is pretty good, although the frog stew really did have all the frog cloven up in it, so I guess that's fairly authentic.

harp

Reaction score
I took my mother to Komi last week and it was excellent. Very pricey at around $170 each but definitely an experience. We had the chef's tasting menu, which was 14 courses, but I believe it varies from meal to meal.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harp
I took my mother to Komi last week and it was excellent. Very pricey at around $170 each but definitely an experience. We had the chef's tasting menu, which was 14 courses, but I believe it varies from meal to meal.

I thought Komi was very good... so many mezzethakias with the tasting menu, but so very good. Chef Monis does like his salt though, which I didn't think was a problem, but could see how people would have issues. I remember talking to Monis after my meal in the kitchen (which is pretty tiny), since he had handwritten a copy of my particular tasting menu to take home, and telling him he had the neatest handwriting of any chef I've met. He laughed and said it was because he wants to make sure the other chefs he works with can read what he writes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads