• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating in DC

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There used to be a Russian place around 17th and G (or maybe F). I don't know if it's still open, or what the name was. I do recall that it wasn't very good.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Matchbox is OK once in awhile, but their no reservations policy can be annoying. Their pizza/sliders are good, but not worth a one-hour wait. In their defense, since they expanded I haven't had to wait that long--it's just good to have a backup plan if you plan to eat there. Ella's pizza is pretty good--it's just a few blocks away and I've never waited there.

I promised whodini I'd make some recommendations but my previous post in this thread pretty much stands. Updates in bold.

Has anyone tried the food at Marvin yet? I've been meaning to try there and the Belgian-ish place on H St, I think it's like Dr. McGillicuddy's Infamous Feedbag or something?

I think you're thinking of Dr Granville Moore's. Friends of mine have gone and recommend it for the mussels and fries. The belgian beer selection is also supposed to be pretty good. I've been meaning to try it out but haven't been yet.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
I think you're thinking of Dr Granville Moore's. Friends of mine have gone and recommend it for the mussels and fries. The belgian beer selection is also supposed to be pretty good. I've been meaning to try it out but haven't been yet.

Brasserie Beck on K and 11 or 12 NW has the best authentic Belgian food. Their beer selection is seriously the best in the city. Sure, Brickskeller has them beat on numbers (when they actually have the good stuff in stock), but Beck's have only the best stuff and they only serve Belgian beers. Plus, the beer menu is broken down by type and includes reviews and the alcohol content. The wine cellar is just as impressive there too. They have a full live bar as well.

Reservations are highly recommended, but this place is Nora's pricey. $$$-$$$$.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Brasserie Beck on K and 11 or 12 NW has the best authentic Belgian food. Their beer selection is seriously the best in the city. Sure, Brickskeller has them beat on numbers (when they actually have the good stuff in stock), but Beck's have only the best stuff and they only serve Belgian beers. Plus, the beer menu is broken down by type and includes reviews and the alcohol content. The wine cellar is just as impressive there too. They have a full live bar as well.

Reservations are highly recommended, but this place is Nora's pricey. $$$-$$$$.

Beck is definitely worth going to to sample their beers. I would say it's a bargain compared to the chef's other place, Marcel's, which was surprisingly good, although the boudin blanc should have been called boudin bland -- like eating air. Outside of DC, the only other place I found with decent mussels and frites with Belgian Beer is Mannequin Pis out in Olney... much cheaper than Beck if you can stand the drive. Unlike Nora's, Beck is probably worth the money.

I thought I read someone mentioning Palena (I only found this thread today), and I don't know why people think it's so great. The first time I went there, the food was pretty blah, but people at work kept saying it was great, so I tried the cafe instead, thinking that maybe it was getting rave reviews for the food quality at cafe prices; I didn't find that to be the case. I even had their famous burger -- the best part was the bun... the truffle cheese tasted like the truffled cheese I get at Whole Foods and the meat was just there. For a great burger, I would recommend Central -- that thing is loaded with rosemary and just has so many wonderful flavors, but the fries are disappointing. Anyway, I went back to Palena just a few weeks ago when I found out they changed the tasting menu, and it was definitely better than my first tasting menu, but still not "in the top 10" like people were telling me. I'd probably stick it in the top 20, around 16 or 17, of the places I've tried since moving to the DC area a few months ago.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Beck is definitely worth going to to sample their beers. I would say it's a bargain compared to the chef's other place, Marcel's, which was surprisingly good, although the boudin blanc should have been called boudin bland -- like eating air. Outside of DC, the only other place I found with decent mussels and frites with Belgian Beer is Mannequin Pis out in Olney... much cheaper than Beck if you can stand the drive. Unlike Nora's, Beck is probably worth the money.

Thanks for the reviews of the Belgian places. My wife and I are heading there in October and want a nice preview.

Does Marcels really require black tie? I thought I read that somewhere.

What about the rest of their menus aside from the beers? I'm not a beer drinker (though my wife is) so that's not my big interest.

thanks,
b

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins

Nora's is too stuffy, and the people eating there are so stiff, like they're afraid to have a dinner conversation or drop a fork. Not one person had their blazer off, and proper dress isn't even required. The prices aren't that bad and the entries are a decent size conpared to other pretentious restaurants in the city. The only way to do Nora's right is to order the tasting menu, it's the only thing there that's worth it.

You can leave Beck's for under $100 for two people if you a.) stick to apps (which are very yummy and large or b.) Don't drink that much. B isn't an option.

I thought I read someone mentioning Palena (I only found this thread today), and I don't know why people think it's so great. The first time I went there, the food was pretty blah, but people at work kept saying it was great, so I tried the cafe instead, thinking that maybe it was getting rave reviews for the food quality at cafe prices; I didn't find that to be the case. I even had their famous burger -- the best part was the bun... the truffle cheese tasted like the truffled cheese I get at Whole Foods and the meat was just there.
It has a good atmosphere for a date, that's about it. Neyla is better and cheaper for real Mediterranean food, and not that weird fusion going on at Palena (Le Tomate can fit that bill).

For a great burger, I would recommend Central -- that thing is loaded with rosemary and just has so many wonderful flavors, but the fries are disappointing.
Yup, wasabi meatloaf rocks too. I've been meaning to try their brunch.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Thanks for the reviews of the Belgian places. My wife and I are heading there in October and want a nice preview. Does Marcels really require black tie? I thought I read that somewhere. What about the rest of their menus aside from the beers? I'm not a beer drinker (though my wife is) so that's not my big interest. thanks, b
No, a jacket is required at Marcels, so a suit will be fine. It is a really good restaurant, but one that is a little too expensive for me to visit often enough to really get acquainted with the menu well. Their theater menu has always been decent. Marcels is more of a fine dinning atmosphere, Beck's isn't cheap by no stretch, but it's more relaxed and easy going... also, louder because people aren't holding back, not because of music. Beck's menu is more hearty fare, true Belgian food; with the starters being old Belgian peasant fare. Entries are more generous, but then again, they don't force you into courses like at Marcels. They are both very different dining experiences... I wouldn't even consider ordering beer at Marcels.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Thanks for the reviews of the Belgian places. My wife and I are heading there in October and want a nice preview.

Does Marcels really require black tie? I thought I read that somewhere.

What about the rest of their menus aside from the beers? I'm not a beer drinker (though my wife is) so that's not my big interest.

thanks,
b

Marcel's doesn't require black tie, at least they didn't when I went there. Granted, I was still in a suit and tie, but I only saw the piano player in a dinner jacket and bow tie. They have a special dinner menu for people attending performances at the Kennedy Center, so perhaps people were dressed in black tie for that.

With respect to Marcel's (I luckily have my tasting notes for that dinner on my phone still), I thought the amuse was excellent -- a smoked salmon with creme fraiche and chives... the creme and salt tempered each other perfectly so neither flavor was overpowering. The lobster bisque was good, but not great. The PEI mussels were amazing. The plating was colorful with cheese, spinach, and tomato sauce -- it was like mussel lasagna. The texture was good, with a crispy top layer, but a terrific gooey cheese and sauce beneath. The spinach was prepared to my liking and wasn't gritty or bitter. The mussels themselves were nicely firm and not chewy.

My slow cooked salmon with olives was, as my friend likes to describe salmon, "perfectly pink." It was better than the salmon I had at Westend Bistro, which was odd given Ripert's involvement with Westend. The boudin blanc was very bland and gritty, but melted in your mouth like a foam -- Palena put boudin blanc on their new tasting menu, and that was one of the courses I found memorable and improved my second Palena experience. I opted to get a course of seared foie gras instead of cheese, and that was very good, mainly because it was your "traditional" seared foie gras with caramelized pears... why mess with perfection?

My pepper encrusted bison came with a puree of spinach and haricot vert. I thought the puree was on the bland side, but the bison was nice and tender and juicy... not at all gamey. I thought the pepper was a little too strong. I ended with the mousse with a little sugar cage and raspberry. The raspberry sauce was so rich and sweet it was too much that I would have much preferred the chocolate alone. Overall, the food was very good, although some of the preps were a bit repetitive.

The only major issue I had there was with the service being very slow, a consequence being my wine pairings showing up well after my food, and my table captain was wearing a pretty heavy cologne.

Wow, that was a lot more than I was expecting to write about Marcel's.
laugh.gif
I'll be sure to keep any future "reviews" on the shorter side.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Nora's is too stuffy, and the people eating there are so stiff, like they're afraid to have a dinner conversation or drop a fork. Not one person had their blazer off, and proper dress isn't even required. The prices aren't that bad and the entries are a decent size conpared to other pretentious restaurants in the city. The only way to do Nora's right is to order the tasting menu, it's the only thing there that's worth it.

Yeah, it was near the hotel I was living out of for a few weeks, so I stopped by and had the tasting. The cocktails were interesting, but not great. When I was there for dinner, not many people were dressed up. There was a couple on a date and the guy was in a suit with a purple seersucker pocket square. I thought that was cooler than the food.
laugh.gif

One place with really great food and a great atmosphere was Restaurant Eve (my personal #2 favorite of DC restaurants). I was in the tasting room and it was pretty lively with conversation, something I didn't see at Citronelle. Although, Citronelle's food was definitely better, which is why it's still my #1 favorite spot for good, but pricey food. I was actually at Eve this past weekend and a random chick just sat down at my table and started talking to me, thinking I was a food critic. That definitely wouldn't have happened at the French Laundry, but it's definitely a more laid back attitude at Eve, which is why I keep going back.

sweisman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been to Buck's Fishing and Camping on Connecticut Ave...I have been to Comet Pizza, which the chef from Bucks also owns, also a few doors down which I like a lot. I know Bucks is totally different, just curious for some feedback. Thanks in advance.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
Has anyone ever been to Buck's Fishing and Camping on Connecticut Ave...I have been to Comet Pizza, which the chef from Bucks also owns, also a few doors down which I like a lot. I know Bucks is totally different, just curious for some feedback. Thanks in advance.

My wife has been to Buck's (once, fwiw) and every time we pass it she tells me it was disappointing (she might have used stronger language). On the one hand, she's not a snob about food, but, on the other, she knows her cooking damned well.

b

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buck's is pretty good in my opinion.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Buck's on Friday night and was not that impressed. I had the fried oysters and the steak (because it was my birthday). At $46, the steak was not up to par. Better than say, Outback, but nowhere close to a steak at Charlie Palmers or some other place with similar prices. Everything else that people ordered were pretty good and reasonably priced, but nothing was exceptional. I won't be going back anytime soon. If you do go, I'd reccommend avoiding the overpriced steak.

I had a bite of ~ half the menu (4 people all ordering different apps and entrees), so I think I'm being fair to the restaurant.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any particularly good delivery in DC? I'm not looking for anything in particular (though I'm partial to Thai and Vietnamese), but would just like to hear if anyone has any strong feelings.

We haven't found too much.

b

spreadcollar

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread and don't know what you want exactly, but here are favorites off the top of my head from my days in DC:

Lunchy - Five Guys (chain), Amsterdam Falafelshop, The Greek Deli
Pasta Mia
Two Amy's
Fogo de Chao (chain)
Bistro du Coin, Montmartre, Les Halles
Almost any of the Ethiopian around Howard University
Russia House
Brunch - Cafe St. Ex
The sushi doesn't hold a candle to NYC, but the best are Sushi-Ko. and Sushi Taro

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads