Eating in DC

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jun 1, 2007.

1. cheessus

cheessus Well-Known Member

Mid-range I like Cafe Saint-Ex and Les Halles (whatever, I like that place)

2. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Mid-range I like Cafe Saint-Ex and Les Halles (whatever, I like that place)

Not any more you don't; it closed.

3. scnupe7

scnupe7 Well-Known Member

Not any more you don't; it closed.

Which one closed?

4. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Here is where I went to eat:

Cafe Milano: Was really hungry in Georgetown and the only place without a line was Cafe Milano, we had appetizers and wine. It was pretty good but a little pricey.

Moby Dick: Decent hole in the wall place for the price. Persian/Mediterranean food is usually really over-priced for how simple it is but this place was pretty good. The rice was well done

Old Ebbits: The half off special is only Monday-Thursday (and even then I think the math is off, I only calculated 25% or so off). It was insanely busy at midnight on a Friday night and my first impression was that this was a tourist trap, however, the oysters were very good and comparable to the Oyster bar at Grand Central Station in NYC, even though I liked GCS a little more. The lobster was good too.

Pasta Mia: About as close to the Soup Nazi as you can get from an Italian grandma. The appetizers were awesome and they give you a ton of pasta (too much for me). We polished off a liter of the house wine while we waited. We left sloshed at about 11pm and there was still a line waiting to be seated.

Napoleon's: Stumbling back from Pasta Mia, we stopped in here for champagne and some sort of dessert. A bit gaudy and not really my kind of place.

5. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Which one closed?

Les Halles.

6. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Lil' thread necro: Looking to take the GF out for a nice dinner either in DC or NoVa. Not looking for absolutely insane prices, but somewhere where I won't see people in tee shirts, jeans, flip flips. Suggestions? Ruth's or Morton's see too easy of a choice and I'm sure there are far better suggestions from people in the know.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Looking to take the GF out for a nice dinner either in DC or NoVa. Not looking for absolutely insane prices, but somewhere where I won't see people in tee shirts, jeans, flip flips. Suggestions? Ruth's or Morton's see too easy of a choice and I'm sure there are far better suggestions from people in the know.
    This is a pretty wide range. What cuisine do you and your GF like?

8. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Yea I guess I was pretty vague. I'd say American, Thai, Japanese, or Italian would be safe bets. Neither of us are particularly picky eaters but those have always been safe bets for us both enjoying our meals. My main goal is to surprise her with somewhere we can get a little dressed up (she's a nurse and I work for a tech company with casual jeans dress, so our daily attire is always casual), have a nice meal together, and hopefully avoid people completely devoid of table manners (you know, the screamers, cell phone answerers, etc).

9. Ambulance Chaser

Yea I guess I was pretty vague. I'd say American, Thai, Japanese, or Italian would be safe bets. Neither of us are particularly picky eaters but those have always been safe bets for us both enjoying our meals. My main goal is to surprise her with somewhere we can get a little dressed up (she's a nurse and I work for a tech company with casual jeans dress, so our daily attire is always casual), have a nice meal together.
    For American, I like Equinox, Vidalia, and Mendocino Grille & Wine Bar. Mendocino was closed earlier this year for unpaid taxes; call them to check if they have reopened.

Dino is good for Italian. I have heard very good things about Palena as well.

I don't know any really nice Thai or Japanese restaurants.

10. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

For American, I like Equinox, Vidalia, and Mendocino Grille & Wine Bar. Mendocino was closed earlier this year for unpaid taxes; call them to check if they have reopened.

Dino is good for Italian. I have heard very good things about Palena as well.

I don't know any really nice Thai or Japanese restaurants.

Palena is at a bit of a different level. It's excellent, but it's definitely a good bit pricier than those other places.

Japanese: Makoto is generally considered one of the best overall restaurants in D.C. A fun, hipper, less expensive alternative would be Kushi.

Italian: Obelisk is fantastic, but a bit expensive. Bibiana is less expensive, and I've had good meals there.

11. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

I'm not so enamored with the aforementioned Equinox. It's not bad, popular among the DC power brokers, but I think there's better to be had.

Tosca is modern Italian. Upscale and very good. $35 three-course pre-theater is great deal.
    If you don't mind heading to Alexandria, Restaurant Eve is worth the trip, but definitely $$$$. Eventide in Arlington is a bright spot in an otherwise terribly annoying area.
    Blue Duck Tavern, perhaps... although I have had some not so great items there, I will gladly return anytime. Same deal with Corduroy.... very good option.
    If you really want a unique and adventurous "in-the-know" spot, The Atlas Room on H St would probably fit your desires.

I don't really care for Asian cuisine too much, but I have heard many good things from reliable acquaintances about The Source, if you want upscale Asian. Rather pricey, though. Kushi tends to be on the slightly rawkus side, as it's essentially a Japanese pub. Good food, but might not be the atmosphere you want.

12. gort

gort Well-Known Member

I am being dragged to a place in adams morgan tonight called Sutra by my gf and her friends. Any info on the place and typical wardrobe for a 27-year old white guy?

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Pizzeria Paradiso is my go to, for whatever that is worth

14. WhiskeyBent

WhiskeyBent Well-Known Member

Anyone eaten at Central Michel's? Girlfriend and I are going to DC for a weekend trip and have reservations there. Since we're both in college, we've neither eaten anywhere near this nice, so the whole experience will be different.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  15. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Yes, eaten there twice. Very good, casual food. Expensive though.

16. Ambulance Chaser

I have been to Central for happy hour, never for a meal. It is Michel Richard's "diffusion line" restaurant (his main restaurant, Citronelle in Georgetown, is one of the best restaurants in the city), so the food should be very good. From what I remember, the tables are pretty close together and the restaurant gets pretty loud -- it's more of a power lunch than romantic restaurant.

17. WhiskeyBent

Would either of you suggest a different place for a date? We are relatively young (I'm 21, she's 23), so someplace like The Prime Rib looks a little too old man-ish for me. And probably her, as well. But then again, this whole 'quality restaurant' thing is all new to us.

18. Joffrey

What are you looking for? I've been to Central on a date and it worked well. It wasn't candle-lights and violins romantic but it was definitely an impressive place to go to and was not stuffy at all especially at night.

Just to name some trendy places with good food and a cool scene: Church Key (gastro "pub" - not really a pub), Birch & Barley (classier sister restaurant to church key downstairs), Estadio (spanish small plates), Veritas (wine bar), Lost Society (new ), Lincoln (new). There are a shitload of restaurants here so I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. WhiskeyBent

I have a reservation at Blue Duck Tavern at the moment. I actually have heard of some stuff on the menu and it doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it's impressive and has a good atmosphere.

20. Joffrey

Never been there but I think it's supposed to be nice. Now that I remember, in Glover Park (north of Georgetown) is one of my favorite restaurants called Bistro Lepic. Restaurant is downstairs, wine bar is upstairs. Wine bar is slightly less formal than the restaurant and I recommend it.