• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames lounge chair repro recommendation

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
61401202707195841147343e.jpg
I can haz Eemz repro? This chair, IIRC (no label), is a Plycraft from the 60s or 70s, and is considered one of the better ones, but it simply is not as good as a "real" one. I don't care enough to worry about it or pay the premium, but the premium does buy you something. Whether you care about that is up to you. This particular knockoff also avoids one of the "design flaws" of the original (the rubber washer-thingies that wear out) which could be considered an advantage, or a cut corner. But with the better/real ones you get better leather, "correct" styling (don't think I've ever seen a repro with exactly the same styling, there are always differences), better foam/cushioning (my seat sinks all the way when I sit in it, still comfy but could use work), better fit/finish, better resale value, and more choices of materials assuming you buy new. I'd love to have an original but I can't justify paying what they cost, so I am happy with this.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Seems like your new friend is settling right in. Looks very cute.

odee911

Reaction score
Doing some research, seems there are some solid companies doing reproductions these days. I'm compiling a few companies right now that i'm very interested in purchasing. I have visited some of their showrooms and they have it side by side with the originals the quality these days for reproductions really amazes me. I found a thread here with someone also very happy with their chair form RoveConcepts, I just came back from their show room and am seeing if there are other ones I can compare

skeetybug

Reaction score
I am too obsessed with the eames lounge chair and recently bought numerous reproductions from eBay, amazon, kardiel and am greatly disappointed with qualities. I have since sold all of these on Craigslist but it did took me a while recoup my money. Recently I have come across a store in Maryland and saw an exact copy of the lounge chair down to the removable cushions with clips and rubber mount under the arms. The price is 1/4 of the original about $1600. I am totally buying this for myself.

skeetybug

Reaction score
Does rove concepts' version has removable cushions and rubber shock mount that connect the seat to the back that allows the back to stretch?

skeetybug

Reaction score
Anyone has any ideas about the mcmclassics version?

Last edited:

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
I will be getting my Eames lounge repro from Rove Concepts in a little over a week, hopefully. I will let you guys know what the quality is once I receive it. And if there's a way to post pics, I will do that as well. They said that yes, they have the rubber shock mounts and zippered leather. Supposedly they are upgrading it by having double sided veneer and are changing the tilt a little bit. Also they said they were upgrading the foam padding to make it more comfortable. We'll see. :)

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

That was such an insightful comment, so glad you shared it with all of us. What's up with all the snobs on this site?? Aren't the OP's searching for info when they start these threads? I was trying to help people because I myself have tried to find more info on eames reproductions and haven't come up with much.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's in the realm of fake Rolex's in my opinion. Why not buy a legit piece that fits your budget?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not use the current thread instead and I agree with FatGoomba

odee911

Reaction score
Does rove concepts' version has removable cushions and rubber shock mount that connect the seat to the back that allows the back to stretch?
Hey Skeety

Yes, all their cushions are fully removable, the way their cushion attaches to the veneer is exactly the same as the Herman Miller version. They showed me this in person, and I was able to also see the real thing 5 blocks down the road. Its essentially 3 hooks with a button that clicks in. The seat and ottoman cushions are exact dimensions and are interchangeable as well.

The rubber shock mounts that they use are the same as the Herman Miller, when you sit and settle into the chair you will feel that 1.5 inch flex when leaning back. It is pretty much effortless and makes the chair extremely comfortable.

They have since raised their prices to $1595, I have checked this out in person on the new revisions the inside of the shell is now finished with the matching veneer. They have also intergrated more down/dacron underneath the PU foam which will sit pretty much just like the Herman Miller version, you sink in nice and soft with the cushion reinflating when you get up.

I'm will be paying the $200 to update my current chair, which I am already satisfied with.

Leave you guys off with my sexy chair from Rove Concepts

Cheers
OD

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads