• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duchamp Ties

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recent thread on Marinella ties got me thinking about another line of ties: Duchamp. This is a London-based company, although I've noticed that a lot of their ties are made in Italy. They tend to run about 70 GBP retail (or about $130 US at today's exchange rate). Does anyone have one or more Duchamp ties? What's your overall impression of them? How would you tie experts see them in comparison with the top-rated ties like Marinella, Kiton, Borrelli, Hermes, Charvet, etc.?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They're all right. Good quality ties. Very, very loud -- Like RJ but a few seasons behind and much more colorful. Production used to be all-British and now is switching to Italy for the ties and shirts. Their cufflinks are instantly recognizable but also heavy and unbalancing to a shirt cuff. I wouldn't buy them now as I don't find them elegant. I haven't thought of them in comparison to the makers we all love, but construction is decent handmade -- not sevenfold; the silks are good although the weaves often catch on something and lose threads. Comparison to Hermes is hard since Hermes ties are very light, even their so-called "Heavy Silk" wovens. I'd say comparable to Charvet.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
agree with RJ - they first started out buy the gaffer finding a box of old cufflink in his grand folks loft and decided to get them produced a bit bling bling for most but ok for a bit of fun i guess!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own a Duchamp tie, but I've looked at them in Neiman-Marcus. I don't think their silk is as delicate as that of Charvet. In terms of construction and silk quality, I would put them more in the class of Turnbull & Asser, but the Duchamp designs are much more "fashion forward". I wouldn't wear most Duchamp designs, but I'm watching ebay for one or two designs, since I _would_ like to own just one Duchamp tie for fun.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Duchamp ties are very very pretty!
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Duchamp ties are very very pretty!
smile.gif

I agree that when they're right, they are very, very right. But when they're wrong....

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I agree that when they're right, they are very, very right. But when they're wrong....
How would you rate this one

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ok but not my cup of tea a bit too plain, but the color would go nice with a WHITE SHIRT AND GREY SUIT COMBO - ME THINKS!!
tongue.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
How would you rate this one
I'd wear it in social situations (i.e. not for business and as suggested, with a gray suit and either a white or lavender shirt), but I won't pay what I think it's going to sell for (my guess is something over $50). But of course if you like it, go for it. Edit: Oops! I see the auction already closed, for less than $50.

sicolorum

Reaction score
I have four Duchamp ties and I love them all , these two are my favorites :

19619148_1885484128393027_604330975_o.jpg

19578929_1885484125059694_1667038647_o.jpg

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Duchamp can certainly be fun and terribly nice, however their silk is rather course and should not be mentioned, comparatively, in the aforementioned company. The quality is just not there. I'd say Richard James offer more subtelty while maintaining a little fun.
Charvet for sophistication; Hermes for fun; Kiton & Borreli for whimsical sophistication (or silly school boy).

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duchamp can certainly be fun and terribly nice, however their silk is rather course and should not be mentioned, comparatively, in the aforementioned company. The quality is just not there. I'd say Richard James offer more subtelty while maintaining a little fun.
Charvet for sophistication; Hermes for fun; Kiton & Borreli for whimsical sophistication (or silly school boy).

Any English garment has any quality nowadays, specially when compared to the 2 best ever as you did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads