• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
I have only used black polish on my oxblood MIE boots so far.

After about a years' worth of polishing repeatedly with black/bordeux I finally got my MIE oxbloods to a really good patina and they shine like mad with a nice antique'ing to em.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Do you alternate colors each time you polish? Have you ever just done black? I'm just wondering if you really do get a different effect by alternating vs. just using black alone. Mine seem to have a nice patina and I haven't had them for a year, but they get nicer each time I polish. Looking forward to wearing them again in the fall. It's hard to wear boots in the summer in NYC. They get pretty hot. However, when I was in high school (Catholic school even) I used to wear 14 hole steel toe oxblood DMs all year round. Of course it was kind of pointless because you couldn't really see most of the boot with the pants I had to wear. I would have been a lot cooler in the warmer months with something low. Of course I was young and stupid! I thought I was cool wearing those boots. I'd never wear boots that tall again though. The 8 hole MIEs are just about right for what I want now.

-Ian

Vagran7

Reaction score
Haha, so I guess people usually make them shiny as hell? I'll have to go out and get some polish to fix them. Thanks for all the advice!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Yea for the most part I only use black. Every so often I'll do a black polish job, then go back over it with the bordeaux.

But the black polish is what makes it all click, esp as it works it's way into the creases and grooves.

Looking back I can't believe I used to wear 14i steelcaps, with jeans cuffed so high you could see about 10 of the 14 eyes
blush.gif

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Yea for the most part I only use black. Every so often I'll do a black polish job, then go back over it with the bordeaux.

But the black polish is what makes it all click, esp as it works it's way into the creases and grooves.

Looking back I can't believe I used to wear 14i steelcaps, with jeans cuffed so high you could see about 10 of the 14 eyes
blush.gif

HAH! totally.

I have my 20 year old steel toes on right now. they've been polished every week or so with black and cordo polish since i got em. all the nicks are filled in with black and burgundy. antiquing the hard way.
lol8[1].gif

Vagran7

Reaction score
I did a bit of polishing and the scuff is mostly minimized. It's pretty deep, so I don't think its really going to be completely gone. Thanks for the advice.

agordon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tetsuo
i would love to see some pics of your guys' oxblood patina antique'ing shiny boots

+1 I can't picture how they would look after 20 years of wear and polish, must be quite impressive?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my black 14-hole steel toe from 91 is still going strong but my oxblood steel toed 10 holes just finally bit the dust after 19 years. anyone know where you can still find a pair?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
my black 14-hole steel toe from 91 is still going strong but my oxblood steel toed 10 holes just finally bit the dust after 19 years. anyone know where you can still find a pair?

the only place I know is either Grinders if you want the oxblood ruboff

but the best oxblood steel toes are the re-issue of the ultra rare Southerner made by Solovair (scroll down towards bottom of page). They also have the normal oxblood steelcaps too. But not cheap, esp shipped.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to pick up a pair of Solovair 8 hole oxbloods off of eBay for about $150, all told, direct from the UK. Then I found a pair of MIE Oxblood Docs. I ended up BINning for $30 + $15 shipping. I got them in yesterday. The soles look brand freaking new, very little wear, some scuffs on the toes.. The leather looked... Odd. Just not very appealing. Got them home, threw on 3 coats of polish and they're looking very spiffy now. I'll probably hit em with a few coats a day for the next week or so until I get them where I want them. The fit is really good on these (UK 10), although I'm thinking I want to add some insoles for a little arch support. Odd, because I usually wear chucks and those have no arch support either, but maybe I'm just used to them?

On lacing: The guy that had them before me straight laced them in what I call the goober way: one string tied at the end holding it down at the bottom eyelet, and then you just lace it to the top and tuck it in.. Not a very secure lacing. So I undid it all, straight laced it (alternating holes up) so I could tie at the top... Still didn't like the look, so now I'm just lacing standard (left over right). Not so skinnish now.. With the polish and a regular lacing, I think they go well with my Indigo RRLs and I can imagine them going well with khakis. Maybe I should pick up some officer's chinos or a pair of Khaki 501 STFs?

I'm excited!

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of the James 8-eye this past winter, and also the Percy show from the same collection.

All I can say is that, other than not being made in the UK, this is an amazing interperetation of the DM classics. The leather has a deep chestnut-brown color, the 'pull-up' is amazing and subtle, and the contrast white stitching is really amazing in person. Well worth the price tag. Am looking forward to really getting these broken in.

I've been using brown polish sparingly and carefully, to preserve the white stitching, and only when they get deep scuffs. I've been using mink-oil polish which does darken them a bit, but has really helped speed the break-in and luster.

Ony drawback is that the rear leather pull-strap tore off on both boots within a week (not a big deal).

These pair nicely with some raw jeans. Cut and form are exactly like the classic 1461s, but the leather is neither high-polish or waxy. It's closest to what I'd call 'saddle leather' in it's finish, color and stiffness. These are beauties.

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-2627-james.aspx

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-2631-percy.aspx

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vagran7
What would be better to use on docs, the dr martens wonder balsam or sno seal?

As I mentioned in my other post, I've been using Kiwi mink-oil (slightly oilier/greasier than regular polish, dries colorless, and aids in break-in, softening and also waterproofs really well). Depends on where you live and how you use them though.

Note: mink oil will not give you a high-polish like a wax-based polish.

I'm thinking of getting the DM Wonder Balsam. Any reviews?

amnesiac

Reaction score
^^I have a pair of the james boots in black, and they're fantastic. I kind of regret not getting the brown, but if they have a sale around christmas again i'm on it. The leather pull tab on the back absolutely sucks, i can't use it to actually put on my boots because it's such soft leather that it stretches and would easily rip off. I can't bring myself to cut them off though. I agree, the contrast stitching especially around the sole is fantastic though i've gotten mine rather greyish these days. They also take to polish quite well. They aren't black corrected grain 1460 mirror shiny, but they're getting there, and the quality of the leather, especially since they're lined, is so much better than my MIC 1460s.

I also have a pair of 1460s in the brown oiled "grizzly" leather is actually turning out to have a decent shine on the toe box. I know you're typically not supposed to polish oil tanned leather, but i've been spit shining up the toe and i get a really nice shiny reddish brown with cordovan and black polish compared to the original dark dull brown that they were.

I swear by sno-seal, as do my friends who used to be boyscouts, which is good enough for me. I can literally stand in the melted snowy puddles along the curbs and not have any leaks. I recently took my docs camping and had no problems with waterproofing. Other people swear by Obenauf's, I think they're both wonderful products. I imagine that the DM wonder balsam is similar to obenauf's as far as ingredients and purpose goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads