• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does anyone watch law and order?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
How much do detectives make? Any clue?
Figure their salary, depending on years of service, is anywhere from 60-80k. With OT, they can definitely make six figures.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but in the low 6 figures can you dress like that and have a 2 seater merc?

although I don't remember what his family status was, if he doesn't have family or child support, maybe.....

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The car seems a bit of a stretch. Of course he could have got a great deal at a police auction.
wink.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In his off hours, he is Rachel's & Monica's pimp.  Two "how do they live like that" conundrums with one simple explanation.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
don't forget Joey, the often-unemployed actor. he needs to pay the rent, too.

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
Completely true story:

I used to be a prosecutor in Southern California and as a life-long sartorophile (bordering on sartoromania, past girlfriends might correct me to say) I would wear something more elevated than the usual Nordstrom white oxford button down with the ceramic buttons and the sack suit with a red rep tie.

One of my fellow DDAs was a big fan of Hugo Boss and Armani, and regularly had way more suits than I did, with better shoes and an up-market ride, a wife who wasn't dressed in JC Penny, a young daughter, and a new house in a better, newer neighborhood. I knew exactly what he made because we were hired at about the same time and civil service in California is nothing if not lock-step, particularly in the early years of one's career.

We worked in the same unit so I was friendly with him, and I asked him a couple of times how he could swing the cash. He would mumble something about how his wife's parents helped them out with the house and changed the subject.

A couple of years later, after I left the office, he was indicted on federal methamphetatime trafficking charges and pled guilty to an eight year sentence. He had been passing information on confidential informants to a meth manufacturing and distribution ring run by a friend of his from high school. The really funny part? His taste in expensive suits was mentioned in the indictment.

Real life is way, way more crazy than a cop show will ever be.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Completely true story:

I used to be a prosecutor in Southern California and as a life-long sartorophile (bordering on sartoromania, past girlfriends might correct me to say) I would wear something more elevated than the usual Nordstrom white oxford button down with the ceramic buttons and the sack suit with a red rep tie.

One of my fellow DDAs was a big fan of Hugo Boss and Armani, and regularly had way more suits than I did, with better shoes and an up-market ride, a wife who wasn't dressed in JC Penny, a young daughter, and a new house in a better, newer neighborhood.  I knew exactly what he made because we were hired at about the same time and civil service in California is nothing if not lock-step, particularly in the early years of one's career.

We worked in the same unit so I was friendly with him, and I asked him a couple of times how he could swing the cash.  He would mumble something about how his wife's parents helped them out with the house and changed the subject.

A couple of years later, after I left the office, he was indicted on federal methamphetatime trafficking charges and pled guilty to an eight year sentence.  He had been passing information on confidential informants to a meth manufacturing and distribution ring run by a friend of his from high school.  The really funny part?  His taste in expensive suits was mentioned in the indictment.

many years ago I had a friend who went on a sales call and took an army colonel out to lunch. they went to a very good resteraunt, and after lunch, when they brought around cigars, the colonel took two handfulls and dropped them in his bag to take home. it was a real piggish thing to do. m friend told me about it, and how piggish it was.

about 5 years later, this colonel was arrested in the biggest military purchasing scandal israel ever had, and went to jail for something like 20 years. luckily, none of my friends were involved. the party that had blown the whistle on him was one of the big american airplane engine companies.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely true story:

One of my fellow DDAs was a big fan of Hugo Boss and Armani, and regularly had way more suits than I did, with better shoes and an up-market ride, a wife who wasn't dressed in JC Penny, a young daughter, and a new house in a better, newer neighborhood.  I knew exactly what he made because we were hired at about the same time and civil service in California is nothing if not lock-step, particularly in the early years of one's career.

We worked in the same unit so I was friendly with him, and I asked him a couple of times how he could swing the cash.  He would mumble something about how his wife's parents helped them out with the house and changed the subject.

A couple of years later, after I left the office, he was indicted on federal methamphetatime trafficking charges and pled guilty to an eight year sentence.  He had been passing information on confidential informants to a meth manufacturing and distribution ring run by a friend of his from high school.  The really funny part?  His taste in expensive suits was mentioned in the indictment.

That is insane. Like Sean Penn from Carlito's Way.

Law and Order is a great show. I stopped watching one Jerry Orbach died, since I thought his character really made the show. If Farina's doing as well as you guys say, though, I may have to start watching again.

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy,May 13 2005,13:45
There are something like four different versions currently in production, plus a gazillion old episodes in syndication. Â I read somewhere that it is the most profitable TV franchise in US history.
And Dick Wolf owns the whole thing. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. Extremely bright gentleman.

armscye

Reaction score
Farina is a former real-life Chicago cop and a genuinely stylish guy. In an interview around the time of Snatch he remarked on his affection for custom shirts.

There are lots of well-dressed New York City detectives. Clothes are cheap if you know your way around town, and in a city where your car is rarely seen, your watch and your threads bespeak your status. Among the stylish NYC law-enforcement dressers are Bill Bratton and the now self-immolated Bernie Kerik.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Farina character. I, too, have enjoyed the many sartorial references (not without wondering, too, how many viewers understood them). It will be interesting to track the plot resolution of how he manages on a policeman's salary to afford the clothes habit which as we know can be costly.
Forget the clothes, how does he afford his car?
smile.gif
I love Farina's character. If anyone was going to replace the late Jerry Orbach/Lenny Briscoe, I'm glad it was Dennis Farina.
And Dick Wolf owns the whole thing. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. Extremely bright gentleman.
His lack of support for Michael Moriarty -- an acquintance of mine -- during his fight with Janet Reno over censorship, however, was less than impressive.

tgfny

Reaction score
(Etruscan @ May 13 2005,12:43) I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Farina character. Â I, too, have enjoyed the many sartorial references (not without wondering, too, how many viewers understood them). Â It will be interesting to track the plot resolution of how he manages on a policeman's salary to afford the clothes habit which as we know can be costly.
Forget the clothes, how does he afford his car? Â
smile.gif
I love Farina's character. If anyone was going to replace the late Jerry Orbach/Lenny Briscoe, I'm glad it was Dennis Farina.
His lack of support for Michael Moriarty -- an acquintance of mine -- during his fight with Janet Reno over censorship, however, was less than impressive.
"He came into my office and told me he was going to sue Janet Reno," Wolf said. "I said, 'Michael, this is the attorney general of the United States, not some local politician."' I can understand his point as well. Don't know if I'd support that as well.

redtree00

Reaction score
Tonights show he made a reference about his Gucci Loafers.
omg.gif
I guess we all have lapses in sartorial sense

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads