1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

does anyone watch law and order?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discostu004, May 13, 2005.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

dennis farina is their new detective and is a big clothes guy. he's always dropping reference to john varvatos or patek phillipe. just last episode he wouldn't reach inside an air conditioning vent b/c "c'mon (motions to his clothes) luciano barbera". i wonder how many people actually know what he's talking about.

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Distinguished Member

How about last week's episode when he and Imperioli are walking around the stables at the horse racing track and he says, "This is gonna be hell on the Belgian loafers." that was great.

3. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

In 'Snatch' I saw him wear shirt that I could never pull off. But somehow it looked just so cool on him [​IMG] It was a light yellow shirt with a white collar. Somehow it just seemed right for him.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

Law and order is almost the only TV I watch, love it. I don't know how much goes over people's heads, but I am waiting for the story as to how he offirds the clothes- I am sure it will be a big plot issue eventually.

5. Patrick Bateman

I've seen him a couple times filming downtown; his trailer is often parked near my building. Whenever I saw him he was always dressed sharp, but that was because he was in costume.

6. Patrick Bateman

(discostu004 @ May 13 2005,08:09) dennis farina is their new detective and is a big clothes guy. Â he's always dropping reference to john varvatos or patek phillipe. Â just last episode he wouldn't reach inside an air conditioning vent b/c "c'mon (motions to his clothes) luciano barbera". Â i wonder how many people actually know what he's talking about.
    Law and order is almost the only TV I watch, love it. I don't know how much goes over people's heads, but I am waiting for the story as to how he offirds the clothes- I am sure it will be a big plot issue eventually.
    Paul Stuart sample sale?

7. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

i just figure that there is NO WAY that 98% of the poeple who watch L&O and maybe 99.5% would know Luciano Barbera or a Patek Phillipe.

8. Patrick Bateman

Patek more people would have heard of. They advertise in a lot of Conde Nast magazines. Luciano Barbera is obviously more esoteric.

9. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

The last episode I saw, he was wearing a great DB camelhair polo coat in one scene, and a nice vicuna-colored SB topcoat a couple of scenes later. I haven't been over-awed by his shirts and ties, though - can't really remember any. What about the infamous Shatner on The Practice/Boston Legal? Usually pretty interesting, I think.

10. Patrick Bateman

Yeah, that DB camel polo coat has quickly become his signature look. Great-looking coat.

I remember another episode when he had to take some clothes from a suspect (or suspect's wife) as evidence, and she seemed worried about the police taking the clothes. He said something like, "I know exactly how you feel--[we'll return them] without a wrinkle."

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

He asked a suspect in one show if his shirt was a Paul Smith. It was. He pointed out the designer of a dead woman's coat (from 10 feet away) once to indicate she was wealthy. He's a great character.

12. Cliff

Cliff Senior Member

I've watched Law and Order for some time and the addition of Dennis Farina is fantastic. The way they have made the character a clothes horse is brilliant, I usually love his look and his use of clothing references.

The Boston Legal (Shatner) character, Denny Crane is also well done.

13. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

I was wondering when someone was going to mention the Farina character. I, too, have enjoyed the many sartorial references (not without wondering, too, how many viewers understood them). It will be interesting to track the plot resolution of how he manages on a policeman's salary to afford the clothes habit which as we know can be costly.

14. Patrick Bateman

Well, there a lot of sample sales and of course the great Century 21. Still, most of his coats look like they would run a couple grand (retail).

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Never underestimate the power of irresponsibility.