• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does alcohol ever go off? Also, recommend me some core spirits for a liquor cabinet?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mount Gay Eclipse
This might actually be called a budget rum...I have bought it in stores where they charge less for it than a fifth of bacardi although lately the prices have been going up...the [ripoff] store closest to my apt. wants something like $25 for a bottle.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
Ha, it does. Honestly though, does anyone over the age of 18 or 19 drink Captain Morgan anyway?

I'm well over 18 or 19, double that auctally and I drink Captain Morgan. I know several others who drink it as well. I'm going to have to look into this higher end rum and give it a try.

Milpool

Reaction score
My bar is pretty simple; whiskeys, brandies, and dark rums make up the spirits.

Other various things for making cocktails from the above, and finally a few girlier things for my lady friend to drink, although it seems she doesn't tolerate drinking things straight the way I do. I need more mixers for her.

I'm not a fan of the clear spirits. They are either too plain, or, in the case of gin, they give me stomach problems.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Zaya, its ~$30 a bottle. El Dorado 12 is pretty good too and not expensive.
+1 on Zaya; good **** for a relatively cheap price. Flor de Cana (Centenario 12 or 18) is a bit pricier, but still in the same relative bracket, and is also great. A big step up in complexity and body from Zaya for a modest step up in price, IMO.
Originally Posted by BP348
I'm well over 18 or 19, double that auctally and I drink Captain Morgan. I know several others who drink it as well. I'm going to have to look into this higher end rum and give it a try.
The step up from Captain Morgan to pretty much any halfway-decent rum on the planet is a big one. You'll thank yourself for taking that step. Whereas the Captains and Bacardis of the world pretty much need to be mixed, the better rums out there can (and often should) be drunk by themselves, either neat or on the rocks. It's usually a good indicator of a rum's quality if you can not only stomach the taste of the rum by itself, but also enjoy it.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good god, I wouldn't even ruin a coke with that stuff.

I would rather drink plastic bottle vodka than low shelf rum... atleast the former tastes of just plain ol' nasty alcohol; cheap rum tastes like plain ol' nasty alcohol mixed with a number of other obscene, indescribably terrible flavors and basically burns a trail down your esophagus through your entrails.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can find it, Ron del Barrilito is freakin tasty as ****. Lots of chocolate and cinnamon...good ****. Really good for a gold rum. I need to find some.
frown.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 on the El Dorado 15. I don't know why there's so much hate for 10 cane. If you're making daiquiri's its perfectly passable. Certainly better than Bacardi silver. Appleton isn't bad on the cheap, or mid range, either.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Good god, I wouldn't even ruin a coke with that stuff. I would rather drink plastic bottle vodka than low shelf rum... atleast the former tastes of just plain ol' nasty alcohol; cheap rum tastes like plain ol' nasty alcohol mixed with a number of other obscene, indescribably terrible flavors and basically burns a trail down your esophagus through your entrails.
I dunno, dude. That might be a bridge too far, lol. Plastic bottle vodka is probably the most disgusting thing on the planet. Possibly rivaled by plastic bottle tequila. In either case, you're basically drinking rubbing alcohol.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I dunno, dude. That might be a bridge too far, lol. Plastic bottle vodka is probably the most disgusting thing on the planet. Possibly rivaled by plastic bottle tequila. In either case, you're basically drinking rubbing alcohol.

Hey: don't knock plastic-bottle tequila. At least not until you've tried plastic-bottle tequila+triple sec, blended for fast-food joint use and pinched from storage.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clearly you have not been to places that celebrate carnaval. most medium ranged liquors produceed in the region are sold in plastic bottles for about a month. both abuelo or medellÃn can be found in plastci bottles. also you can get good mezcal and caña in plastic bottles.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have consumed quite a lot of plastic bottle vodka run through brita filters... Is it better than smirnoff? yes Is it worth the effort compared to the $5-10 for a glass bottle of something better? when you are no longer a college freshman...hell no

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an issue, in theory, with the proposal of vacuuming a bottle of booze to prevent oxidation. A vacuum would lower the vapor pressure which would then allow the more easily evaporating ethanol to fill in the void. So, if you did this several times after the bottle becomes 1/4 full, then you could have a liquor with potentially a significant decrease in alcohol.

In the past, I could do such an equation to figure out the loss of alcohol in a quarter-full, .750 liter bottle that contains a liquor of 50% alcohol and subjected to a negative pressure.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I have an issue, in theory, with the proposal of vacuuming a bottle of booze to prevent oxidation. A vacuum would lower the vapor pressure which would then allow the more easily evaporating ethanol to fill in the void. So, if you did this several times after the bottle becomes 1/4 full, then you could have a liquor with potentially a significant decrease in alcohol.

In the past, I could do such an equation to figure out the loss of alcohol in a quarter-full, .750 liter bottle that contains a liquor of 50% alcohol and subjected to a negative pressure.

Keep it in the freezer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads