Does alcohol ever go off? Also, recommend me some core spirits for a liquor cabinet?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by merkur, Sep 25, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

What would be your pick for a budget rum?

Pampero Anniversario for sipping. Really nice for around $35. Haven't had it in about 2 years but fuck me is it good. Guess I should pick up another bottle soon.

2. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Pampero Anniversario for sipping. Really nice for around $35. Haven't had it in about 2 years but fuck me is it good. Guess I should pick up another bottle soon.

35 usd is hardly a price for a budget rum...

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^It is for people on this board.

Try Kraken. $20 where I am, and not too shabby a spirit. If you want lower then that, I'm afraid that your options are probably limited to Admiral Nelson. And that would be ill advised.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

35 usd is hardly a price for a budget rum...

True, I suppose. I've bought many rums and other spirits that were much more than $35...

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I burned out on Captain Morgan years ago too, and I was born in 89 haha

I started drinking in '89, and I call that 'a few years ago'

6. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

^It is for people on this board.

Try Kraken. $20 where I am, and not too shabby a spirit. If you want lower then that, I'm afraid that your options are probably limited to Admiral Nelson. And that would be ill advised.

not really... you have a decent amount of rums that are very good for less than 20 usd. ed 5 abuelo 7, barbancourt, diplomatico ocmare.

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

True, I suppose. I've bought many rums and other spirits that were much more than $35...
    so have msot people probably but a budget rum would be soemthing like ocumare or ED 5

8. coop86

coop86 Senior member

Also, Sailor Jerry's is a nice alternative to Captain Morgan if you want to reminisce about HS/college drinking. Slightly better tasting and higher proof.

9. ama

ama Senior member

not really... you have a decent amount of rums that are very good for less than 20 usd. ed 5 abuelo 7, barbancourt, diplomatico ocmare.

Barbancourt Five Star is a good recommendation.

Kraken is spiced.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I still burn in envy about the Zacapa (XO?) you snagged. Could not find it in Cancun at all, and what there is stateside is under glass. [​IMG]

11. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I still burn in envy about the Zacapa (XO?) you snagged. Could not find it in Cancun at all, and what there is stateside is under glass. [​IMG]

la europea has store in cancun i think. but anyway you can get zacapa xo for 50 usd in the us.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Ed found a much more rare Zacapa Cask Strength which was bottled pre-Diageo only for duty free in Guatemala, I think. I also really, really want a bottle or three. Standing order Ed. [​IMG]

la europea has store in cancun i think. but anyway you can get zacapa xo for 50 usd in the us.

Zacapa XO is phenomenal and available for give or take $50.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

We went there twice and picked up a fair amount of supplies, but they were sold out of all Zacapa. Really liked the store, though.

Ed found a much more rare Zacapa Cask Strength which was bottled pre-Diageo only for duty free in Guatemala, I think. I also really, really want a bottle or three. Standing order Ed. [​IMG]

Zacapa XO is phenomenal and available for give or take $50.

Hmmm, it was closer to $100 at my local enabler. I found it on the interwebz for $50 but really, really, REALLY don't want to start that process going.

14. ama

ama Senior member

Hmmm, it was closer to $100 at my local enabler. I found it on the interwebz for $50 but really, really, REALLY don't want to start that process going.

As you can see though, sometimes it is much cheaper than shopping at the local. [​IMG]

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

As you can see though, sometimes it is much cheaper than shopping at the local. [​IMG]

yeah, the same is true with perfumes/colognes and now I have a herd of the damn stuff!

Actually, I have a herd of bourbon as well, so there's not much point to the above statement in the first place.