• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do we still need ESPN?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask this because with the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA & Golf networks it doesn't seem that this channel is needed. I don't watch a lot of college sports, but I guess you could make an arguement for ESPN U. I do watch a lot of baseball and while I don't like him personally, Peter Gammons going to MLB network was a huge power shift.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I ask this because with the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA & Golf networks it doesn't seem that this channel is needed. I don't watch a lot of college sports, but I guess you could make an arguement for ESPN U. I do watch a lot of baseball and while I don't like him personally, Peter Gammons going to MLB network was a huge power shift.

i really need espn.com its my crack.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ESPN has long made its living as the network for "other" sports and continues to do so. It shows billiards, skiing, lacrosse, swimming, track, World's Strongest Man, even sumo (at least, it used to). These are sports that get sporadic-at-best coverage on other national networks.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
ESPN has long made its living as the network for "other" sports and continues to do so. It shows billiards, skiing, lacrosse, swimming, track, World's Strongest Man, even sumo (at least, it used to). These are sports that get sporadic-at-best coverage on other national networks.

Is there really, I mean really an audience for World's Strongest Man or billiards. Maybe bowling....maybe.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I love the Canadian version. (TSN).

It`s great in the morning, when you want to catch up on everything from the previous night. In the student Union Building at my university, it was always on the main T.V. in the early day, and always had a crowd around it. The canuck hosts are so much better than the American ones... they're actually funny, and seem to have less restrictions on what they say.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

I remember watching a lot of Australian Rules Football when they first started. Looked like a great sport too.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I remember watching a lot of Australian Rules Football when they first started. Looked like a great sport too.

That, and PKA Karate.

I don't miss it, except for the occasional college football games that are only on ESPN3.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends and I have wasted entire afternoons watching Dart tournaments. It's amazing the skill in some sports I never considered before.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where else am I going to get my volleyball fix?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Is there really, I mean really an audience for World's Strongest Man or billiards. Maybe bowling....maybe.

Going by the brand's commercial success, I'd say 'yes.'

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've watched the world's strongest man, mostly for the camp factor; Jarno!

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I, for one, miss Peter Gammons. The baseball coverage has never been the same.

He's too damn biased towards Boston. Whenever a fight broke out he would always blame the other team for starting it or somehow being bush. Tim Kurkjian is much better IMO.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I've watched the world's strongest man, mostly for the camp factor; Jarno!

I catch that sometimes when I'm working out. I also used to watch Emperor's Cup sumo but haven't seen it in several years.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth be told, I do watch the strongest man comps. I am a sucker for farmer's walks, truck pulls, and the ever popular Hercules' Pillars.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.