Do we still need ESPN?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Slopho, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I ask this because with the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA & Golf networks it doesn't seem that this channel is needed. I don't watch a lot of college sports, but I guess you could make an arguement for ESPN U. I do watch a lot of baseball and while I don't like him personally, Peter Gammons going to MLB network was a huge power shift.

2. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I ask this because with the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA & Golf networks it doesn't seem that this channel is needed. I don't watch a lot of college sports, but I guess you could make an arguement for ESPN U. I do watch a lot of baseball and while I don't like him personally, Peter Gammons going to MLB network was a huge power shift.

i really need espn.com its my crack.

3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

ESPN has long made its living as the network for "other" sports and continues to do so. It shows billiards, skiing, lacrosse, swimming, track, World's Strongest Man, even sumo (at least, it used to). These are sports that get sporadic-at-best coverage on other national networks.

4. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

ESPN has long made its living as the network for "other" sports and continues to do so. It shows billiards, skiing, lacrosse, swimming, track, World's Strongest Man, even sumo (at least, it used to). These are sports that get sporadic-at-best coverage on other national networks.

Is there really, I mean really an audience for World's Strongest Man or billiards. Maybe bowling....maybe.

5. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Man, I love the Canadian version. (TSN).

It`s great in the morning, when you want to catch up on everything from the previous night. In the student Union Building at my university, it was always on the main T.V. in the early day, and always had a crowd around it. The canuck hosts are so much better than the American ones... they're actually funny, and seem to have less restrictions on what they say.

6. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I remember watching a lot of Australian Rules Football when they first started. Looked like a great sport too.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I remember watching a lot of Australian Rules Football when they first started. Looked like a great sport too.

That, and PKA Karate.

I don't miss it, except for the occasional college football games that are only on ESPN3.

8. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Friends and I have wasted entire afternoons watching Dart tournaments. It's amazing the skill in some sports I never considered before.

9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Where else am I going to get my volleyball fix?

10. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Is there really, I mean really an audience for World's Strongest Man or billiards. Maybe bowling....maybe.

Going by the brand's commercial success, I'd say 'yes.'

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I, for one, miss Peter Gammons. The baseball coverage has never been the same.

12. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I've watched the world's strongest man, mostly for the camp factor; Jarno!

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I, for one, miss Peter Gammons. The baseball coverage has never been the same.

He's too damn biased towards Boston. Whenever a fight broke out he would always blame the other team for starting it or somehow being bush. Tim Kurkjian is much better IMO.

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I've watched the world's strongest man, mostly for the camp factor; Jarno!

I catch that sometimes when I'm working out. I also used to watch Emperor's Cup sumo but haven't seen it in several years.

15. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Truth be told, I do watch the strongest man comps. I am a sucker for farmer's walks, truck pulls, and the ever popular Hercules' Pillars.