• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do any of you believe in God?

louisdavid

Reaction score
I believe in agnosticism, since no one could jump outside of space-time, whence we cannot affirm nor deny any relation with 'things outside'. That's what I believe, at any rate.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
Seriously. See what I don't get is, if God or 'the gods' let such ****** things happen, why don't they appear to us to apologize? Why keep hidden? If I'm just supposed to follow on blind faith, I'll end up dead and broken like John Locke from LOST. The simplest, Occam's Razor answer is, there is no God...

Haven't been able to follow this thread, but just skimmed a few posts. Thought I'd reply to two things in this one's good thoughts/questions.

First, God/gods let ****** things happen for a good reason, at least according to Augustine and Thomas Aquinas. The thought is that God permits evil in parts for the good of the whole. The best example is that God ultimately wills love, but there's no love without freedom and no freedom without the possibility of evil. So God permits evil for the sake, ultimately, of love.

Second, Occam was a Catholic, Franciscan monk. And the simplest answer to the question of the origin of all things is a single cause, a god. no?

Caesar Augustus

Reaction score
Is it ironic that the worst smelling bathroom I have ever been in was in a church?

emptym

Reaction score
Ugh. Cannot get sucked into this. too much to do! But here go some brief replies:
Originally Posted by L.R.
... a) We "believe" in God. We don't "believe" in the Sun, rather, we know it exists ...
Great post. Do we know the Sun revolves around the Earth or do we believe it?
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Interesting comments, and indeed the choice to be religious hinges on the unprovable nature of religion, it demands that one reason for faith by a moral imperative of sorts rather than any scientific rational - that God is to be believed not simply because he is "true" but because he is "right" (the belief that the best life is the religious one).
I think truth and the good are convertible. What can we really prove? From Parmenides to Descartes, from the Matrix to Inception, even our senses are not indubitable. There are logical or geometric proofs (including ones for God done by Aristotle and others), but only if one accepts their axioms.
Originally Posted by tagutcow
As was discussed in an earlier thread, there are two senses of the word "faith" in play here. One sense of "faith" is a belief in something that isn't 100% certain-- eg. "I have faith that after the mid-term elections, there will be a Republican majority in congress." The other sense of "faith" is in the sense of personal trusting, and in this sense, "faith in God" assumes the existence of a personal God...
Lets add a third, namely Thomas's thought that faith is an infused or graced virtue (good habit) that perfects the mind, a share of God's own knowledge.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I don't know if I've done this lately, but thank you "” emptym "” for your posts.
Thank you DR. Praise from you is high praise.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Thank you DR. Praise from you is high praise.

Yes. High praise indeed. HIGH praise.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Yes. High praise indeed. HIGH praise.

laugh.gif
My props to you, prop 19 props.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great post. Do we know the Sun revolves around the Earth or do we believe it?
Emptym, have you gone back a few centuries in time. Did Galileo Galilei and Nicolaus Copernicus give their lives to science for nothing?

Otherwise ... love you post as well.

Perhaps you'll admit my avatar is stellar ... well, perhaps not stellar ... but something.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
laugh.gif
My props to you, prop 19 props.

your humility knows no bounds, my alfred sargent wearing Jesuit laity friend!
laugh.gif

nickleanderson

Reaction score
i believe god you don't believe god just look at night sky see wonders who's creature is this only one that is "god".God have no figure.Are you want looking god do deep meditation you see only light that is god.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Emptym, have you gone back a few centuries in time. Did Galileo Galilei and Nicolaus Copernicus give their lives to science for nothing? Otherwise ... love you post as well. Perhaps you'll admit my avatar is stellar ... well, perhaps not stellar ... but something.
No sir, I don't think they did. But I do think that much of what we think we know, we believe. Thank you. It certainly is something.
Originally Posted by acidboy
your humility knows no bounds, my alfred sargent wearing Jesuit laity friend!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I wish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads