1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do any of you believe in God?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DBoon, Oct 16, 2010.

1. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

You don't think an individual can have a personal relationship and/or belief in God merely by reading the Bible and prayer? I guess I am being naive in thinking the Bible can be disconnected from "organized religion". [​IMG]
    Yes and no. Yes, since, as scarpe was saying, the Bible is a product of organized religion (as well as its producer). No in the sense that you can certainly have a personal relationship and belief in God directly, w/o even the Bible or prayer. But I do think the Bible and prayer nourish the relationship, as does full communion with the community of believers who have become sons and daughters of the Father, members of the body of Christ, temples of the Holy Spirit.
    Yes, I believe in God. I am a Christian. God sent his son to die on the cross for me, to take my punishment that I deserved, and through faith and trust in Christ, I have eternal life. Without Christ, you will be eternally separated from God in Hell. We all have sinned, made mistakes, but if we confess them to God and ask Him to forgive us, believe and trust in his Son, Jesus Christ, you will be saved. Read it in the Bible for yourself: Romans 3:23 Romans 6:23 Romans 5:8 Romans 10:8-9 There is no other way in which a person can be saved, turn from your sins and believe the Gospel. Amen
    This is true in a compact way, but it's so compact as to be very dangerous. Iow, those terms need explanations and qualifications. One such qualification is found in Colossians 1:24. Another good one is Romans 2:15.
    ...If George Lucas was born instead of whoever wrote the bible, we'd all be practicing some StarWars shit.
    Did you know that the Jedi knights were modeled in part after the Jesuits? It's tough to say what society might have been like if there had been no Bible, since so much of our culture is based on it, directly or indirectly.

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

Did you know that the Jedi knights were modeled in part after the Jesuits? It's tough to say what society might have been like if there had been no Bible, since so much of our culture is based on it, directly or indirectly.
    May the Force be with you.
    And also with you.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which of their weapons represented sophistry, and which represented casuistry?

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Seriously. Do they think crap like that actually makes them sound smart?

A lot of people don't seem to be able to distinguish between a belief in the transcendental and a belief in the specific tenets of a religion. The later is much easier to attack than the former. For the record I subscribe to neither but hey...

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

how I wish we have more Jesuit brethren in mace motherf'in windu's form. [​IMG]

6. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Did you know that the Jedi knights were modeled in part after the Jesuits?.

Don't you mean Buddhism? IIRC, Lucas was into Buddhism.

7. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

May the Force be with you.
    And also with you.

Thank you.

Which of their weapons represented sophistry, and which represented casuistry?
    Both are mind tricks.
    how I wish we have more Jesuit brethren in mace motherf'in windu's form. [​IMG]
    Are there any?
    Don't you mean Buddhism? IIRC, Lucas was into Buddhism.
    Nope.

8. mrpham

mrpham New Member

Nah, I'd be too lazy to attend church every Sunday

9. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

no. the notion of a god is ridiculous.

10. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

The notion that you have a clue about the actual practice of law is ridiculous,

OHHHHhhhhhh buurrrrrrrrrn.

not really. I apologize.

11. rjakapeanut

The notion that you have a clue about the actual practice of law is ridiculous,

OHHHHhhhhhh buurrrrrrrrrn.

not really. I apologize.

not that what you said was funny or made any sense at all, but here goes: can we please try to stay on topic? why does every topic have to flame out into a giant clusterfuck of nonsensical arguments.

12. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

not that what you said was funny or made any sense at all, but here goes: can we please try to stay on topic? why does every topic have to flame out into a giant clusterfuck of nonsensical arguments.

That is how styleforum works.

13. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

You mean like this one?

14. the shah

the shah Senior member

You mean like this one?

[​IMG]

15. rjakapeanut

You mean like this one?

that's not an argument.

16. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

that's not an argument.

Isn't it? Are you not arguing that god is ridiculous with that statement?

17. Sherman90

Sherman90 Senior member

I feel something transcendent in me. I suppose you might say that feeling crystallizes in an emotional sensitivity towards "divine" things, albeit not anthropomorphized or necessarily masculine.

What I admire most about authentic religiosity or faith (as opposed to rote attendance and regurgitation) is its implied insistence on improving your treatment of others. For me, the traces of transcendence in my chest/brain are a constant call to reform and compassion. The status quo irks me to no end. The only thing I hate is cruelty.

Likewise, others' beliefs don't concern me. I'm primarily concerned with how others treat each other and themselves. Some of the most "religious" people I know are professed atheists. They are like children who believe they are Batman or Robin Hood for a time.

As Hamlet once said: "Words, words, words."

18. rjakapeanut

Isn't it? Are you not arguing that god is ridiculous with that statement?

a simple claim isn't an argument.

19. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

why does every topic have to flame out into a giant clusterfuck of nonsensical arguments.

Because on SF, this is the dominant attitude

but here on styleforum? fuck yeah i'm whipping my dick out.

Also, rightly or wrongly, your entrance into threaks will now lead to a decent derail. Some of it your own fault, some of it not.

that's not an argument.

Congrats, you finally got something correct on SF. You should be proud.

20. rjakapeanut

everything i say is correct because i am a superior being

but seriously yes, i am proud.