• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diagonal shoulder-line stitch

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good day suit fans, I was browsing through an older Esquire mag and saw this photo of a diagonal shoulder seam on a Jil Sander suit from 2000. The caption points out that this shoulder line is "a styling cue found on custom-made clothing that runs diagonally accross the top of the shoulder rather than straight down the middle, giving it a more natural shape." I also noticed that Johnny Depp's suits in Finding Neverland had a really exaggerated version of it. Or course, that was the turn of the last century. Does anyone know anything more about this sartorial detail? Does it have a long history? Is it found only on custom-made clothes? Does it really help create a more natural shoulder? I'm curious. Regardless, I think this Jil Sander version is pretty cool.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is a hallmark of the "drape" silhouette.  Yes, it is generally found only on bespoke coats, and yes, done right it does result in a more natural shoulder.

The key factor that slants the shoulder seam rearward like that is a small "backneck" measurement.  The backneck is the distance, along seam joining the collar to the back, from the center backseam to the shoulder seam.  If that is short -- say, 3" on a size 42 coat, the shoulder seam will slant rearward like the in the photo.  As a result, there will be an excess fullness of cloth over the shoulder blades of the coat, giving your arms greater freedom of movement.

This cannot be done, or done right, with a built-up, padded shoulder.  And the whole effect won't serve any purpose at all if the front of the coat is not also draped; if the armscye is too big; and if the sleevehead is not full and pleated.  So while the small backneck is a necessary component of a true drape-cut natural shoulder suit, it is not sufficient.  Look out for coats with slanted shoulder seams that have none of these other attributes.  That's a gimmick.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, Manton. Would that mean this detail might be found more on Italian suits than British? I was thinking of requesting this detail on my next suit order from Chan. However, since they tend to work with a more built up shoulder, I wouldn't want to throw off any balance.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No, it's really an English thing, and then only some of the English tailors even try it. In Italy, the Neapolitans do it, but not the Romans or the Milanese, with a small number of exceptions.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
I have a 1930 Sulka dressing gown on which the shoulder seam terminates on my back about halfway between my shoulder and my armpit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan's default is definitely a more traditional British cut, if there even is such a thing -- a little wider, a little less sloped, a little more padded. I think that they can do anything you want probably, though unless you did a true bespoke (fittings, talking to the cutter directly, etc.), I doubt you could get a Kiton carbon copy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I actually didn't know it was a traditional thing, and it was the first thing I noticed when I got my first Jil Sander suit. It's done wonderfully in that case, I can't get enough of the JS shoulder. I hate natural shoulders but it just seems to work very nice in this case.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i must agree with brian sd, on jil sander suits, it gives a really natural look to your shoulder and there is absolutely no padding, which confirms manton's statement

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads