Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Diagonal shoulder-line stitch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good day suit fans, I was browsing through an older Esquire mag and saw this photo of a diagonal shoulder seam on a Jil Sander suit from 2000. The caption points out that this shoulder line is "a styling cue found on custom-made clothing that runs diagonally accross the top of the shoulder rather than straight down the middle, giving it a more natural shape." I also noticed that Johnny Depp's suits in Finding Neverland had a really exaggerated version of it. Or course, that was the turn of the last century. Does anyone know anything more about this sartorial detail? Does it have a long history? Is it found only on custom-made clothes? Does it really help create a more natural shoulder? I'm curious. Regardless, I think this Jil Sander version is pretty cool. [​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

This is a hallmark of the "drape" silhouette.  Yes, it is generally found only on bespoke coats, and yes, done right it does result in a more natural shoulder.

The key factor that slants the shoulder seam rearward like that is a small "backneck" measurement.  The backneck is the distance, along seam joining the collar to the back, from the center backseam to the shoulder seam.  If that is short -- say, 3" on a size 42 coat, the shoulder seam will slant rearward like the in the photo.  As a result, there will be an excess fullness of cloth over the shoulder blades of the coat, giving your arms greater freedom of movement.

This cannot be done, or done right, with a built-up, padded shoulder.  And the whole effect won't serve any purpose at all if the front of the coat is not also draped; if the armscye is too big; and if the sleevehead is not full and pleated.  So while the small backneck is a necessary component of a true drape-cut natural shoulder suit, it is not sufficient.  Look out for coats with slanted shoulder seams that have none of these other attributes.  That's a gimmick.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the insight, Manton. Would that mean this detail might be found more on Italian suits than British? I was thinking of requesting this detail on my next suit order from Chan. However, since they tend to work with a more built up shoulder, I wouldn't want to throw off any balance.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No, it's really an English thing, and then only some of the English tailors even try it. In Italy, the Neapolitans do it, but not the Romans or the Milanese, with a small number of exceptions.

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Does Chan only do built-up shoulder?

6. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

I have a 1930 Sulka dressing gown on which the shoulder seam terminates on my back about halfway between my shoulder and my armpit.

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Chan's default is definitely a more traditional British cut, if there even is such a thing -- a little wider, a little less sloped, a little more padded. I think that they can do anything you want probably, though unless you did a true bespoke (fittings, talking to the cutter directly, etc.), I doubt you could get a Kiton carbon copy.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I actually didn't know it was a traditional thing, and it was the first thing I noticed when I got my first Jil Sander suit. It's done wonderfully in that case, I can't get enough of the JS shoulder. I hate natural shoulders but it just seems to work very nice in this case.

9. hermes

hermes Senior member

i must agree with brian sd, on jil sander suits, it gives a really natural look to your shoulder and there is absolutely no padding, which confirms manton's statement