• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
I didn't read all 20+ pages of this monster thread, so it may already have been mentioned, but I strongly recommend Nom de Guerre.

The classic fits are a very democratic cut with a medium rise and fairly slim leg and have no back pocket stitching or other distracting details. The quality is excellent and they come in some very interesting shades of grey as well as the essential indigo. I have 2 pairs (dark grey and indigo) and they are hands down the best jeans I have owned. A bit pricey at ~$250, but well worth it.

I have the dark gray Classic NDG, and they are a great cut for the MC-inclined.

You should still wear them a bit slouched, though...

- B

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've owned a pair of NDG classic indigo for just under two months and think they're great as well. May need to get them hemmed slightly for full MC-approval though.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
titanic.jpeg

- B

Hilarious.

That's actually what I thought about before you had even posted that.

Is denim really one style fits all? It seems that obscure japanese selvedge (I like japanese denim - I have some straight leg Edwin's from years ago, that interstingly havent faded at all) is the be all and end all at the moment.

However, I've seen people wear different brands / cuts / washes with varrying style backgrounds succesfully over the years. I think experimenting and just trying on alot of different cuts, colours and styles works the best. Staying away from "chick denim" is probably a good idea too. I advise people to stick with cheap Levi's and just get the sizing right if they don't want to go mega denim. If they like it and want to go further, I tend to advise to Nudie's / Edwins, as they are readily available here in Brisbane.

Flusser has done really distressed denim and made it 'work' in the eyes of some. I've seen white / cream 501's work really well too.

The advice about business on top and party on the bottom is so true - foo's shacket was a great example. A few people have said tweed - I was thinking of getting a tan or charcoal herringbone tweed jacket, which I think would work well with non-distressed denim.

Also, +1 on the suede boots, driving mocs and monk shoes.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with my $35 Levis' 501s from JCPenney's ?

They look good on me
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
What's wrong with my $35 Levis' 501s from JCPenney's ?

They look good on me
smile.gif

There's a new 501 cut this season, with a slightly lower rise and slimmer legs, somewhat similar to the popular (and deservedly so) 514 cut.

Check 'em out.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This is pathetic coming from you. I'm not the one that throws a fit when someone else knows something I don't. It's sad actually. For all your dismissiveness toward me, what do you have to show for yourself? Perhaps it escapes my memory, but I've seen nothing to be jealous of. Maybe that's what distinguishes us. As off-base as your comment is, there are far worse influences on style than Mariano Rubinacci and Matt. Moreoever, only someone with a dull eye or an even duller mind would see a substantive similarity between us.
Why is it that everyone throw fits when it comes to arguments with you? What do you do to people? And I also see the weird man crush you've got on Matt. I think it's kinda cute though. Nothing to get worked up about
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Why is it that everyone throw fits when it comes to arguments with you? What do you do to people?

Generally, I inspire their sartorial passion. That, and I firmly believe the world is trying to put down the short man.

In the case of Gdl, it's just his unrequited sexual desire lashing out.

Originally Posted by haganah
And I also see the weird man crush you've got on Matt. I think it's kinda cute though. Nothing to get worked up about
smile.gif

It's the hair. You may recoil at first. Then it draws you in.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like where they sit as is. I have trouble understanding how jeans can have such prescriptive rules when they are inherently casual and thus should be wearable many different ways. Holdfast may not look fashionable or appealing to someone more knowledgeable about streetwear, but I don't think that should necessarily matter.

NM. Posted before I saw that this had already devolved into a slapfight. I was only joking but fear it might be taken as piling on.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an old man wearing jeans, you have to decide something:

Are they your "sweatpants"? Something to be worn when you can't be bothered, when you are lazy, when you don't care what people think? This is perfectly fine. If you are in this category, you obviously have no need for style feedback, you wear what's comfortable, what you like, end of story. Grab your Gap Xtreme wash from 1995, your elastic waistband, or even $500 Shoais, to you they are like RLPL sweats (which exist, btw, for rich people who can't be bothered).

Or, do you want them to be somewhat stylish? You seek feedback from others about how to make them look good? Then listen to some of the feedback here.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
As an old man wearing jeans, you have to decide something:

Are they your "sweatpants"?

Or, do you want them to be somewhat stylish?

To bolster Tarmac's point, this is much like deciding between heterosexuality and homosexuality, a decision with which some of you still wrestle...and I mean wrestle figuratively, unless you have photographs.

- B

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Holdfast I've seen a lot of your WAYWT posts and I think you're kind of intimidated by slim cut clothes, but you really, really need slimmer jeans. I think you're a Levis 511 not a 514 honestly.

OK, I went shopping again today.

Tried to find a pair of smaller Diesels in the outlet, no luck; will try the proper shop tomorrow.

Tried on lots of different Levi cuts:

501 in 30x30 - looked way worse than the current 32" 501s I have. Just BAD.
511 ("slim fit") - unable to find a 30. 28 was just impossible to get over my hips! Would be interested in seeing how this fits me in a 30, given my experience with the 513.
513 ("skinny leg") in 30x34 - I was amazed to fit into them. It was TIGHT, but not scarily so. It actually felt OK. And you know, it didn't look as obscene in the mirror as I thought it would be. The inseam was 34, so there was lots of stacking (that's the right word, yes?), but to my surprise, I almost liked it.
smile.gif

I couldn't find any 514 in the store (maybe a US/UK difference?)

Mission tomorrow with be to try a different set of shops, and try to find a 511 in 30x30, and also try to exchange the 30x30 Diesel Larkee for a 28x30. If I can't find anything nice, I might try London later in the week, and look for some of the other suggestions being offered. Thanks again!

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This the latest pair of jeans that I just bought. Double RL, straight leg. They sit on my waist not on my hips. (means bad?). I also feel that they are too roomy around my hips and thighs.

Should I size down 1 more, or these jeans are just not for me?

BTW, here is the tag reads: Style - 01b-SL "Straight Leg" cut. Longer rise cut to fit higher on the waist. Relaxed through the seat and thigh - Similar room in the knee and leg opening

0105009.jpg

0105010.jpg

0105011.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are too big in the waist, look how they are cinched by your belt.

They also look too long. I would hem them, for me this would present a dilemma as I hate hems on processed jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads