• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
HF, I've been working on this, too. For the rise on those jeans, the bottom two are definitely too high. You do need to drop them down. I suspect that was a big part of your tight crotch problem on the others you tried on.

Might I suggest you track down some Levis 514s, which have been good entry level slim jeans for me. You'll likely want to move up to others (RRL, etc), but they'll still serve as a good pair of beater jeans later on.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if the seam is digging into your crotch and you think it's because you have gargantuan scrotae, I hate to break it to you, it's far more likely that you are wearing them too high

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You LIE.

laugh.gif

OK, plan A: I only got the Diesels last week and I've only worn them round the house for a few hours and I can reattach the looped string tag thing, so I'm going to take them back to the store tomorrow and exchange them for a 28 waist and figure out how to wear them properly. I'll also try to find a few more brands to try on there.

If that doesn't work out, I'll head to Selfridges in London later in the week and check out a few different higher end brands there.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Holdfast I've seen a lot of your WAYWT posts and I think you're kind of intimidated by slim cut clothes, but you really, really need slimmer jeans. I think you're a Levis 511 not a 514 honestly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Because this is how they are meant to be worn - i.e. this is how the designers draw them and how the patterns are cut. Not that hard to understand, is it?

Your condescending tone is both unappreciated and conspicuous. But more to the point, your claim is dubious. Levi's 501s have been around for over a century in some form or another. Barring very atypical anatomical proportions, even a modern pair would look diaper-like from behind if you wore them at your hips.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Your condescending tone is both unappreciated and conspicuous. But more to the point, your claim is dubious. Levi's 501s have been around for over a century in some form or another. Barring very atypical anatomical proportions, even a modern pair would look diaper-like from behind if you wore them at your hips.

Levi 501 cuts change constantly, and comparing a 501 from 1933 to one from 1966 is almost meaningless. The name is more of an icon and doesn't really reflect any specific fit. Currently, the 501 has a lower rise than the 514.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
HF, I've been working on this, too. For the rise on those jeans, the bottom two are definitely too high. You do need to drop them down. I suspect that was a big part of your tight crotch problem on the others you tried on.

Might I suggest you track down some Levis 514s, which have been good entry level slim jeans for me. You'll likely want to move up to others (RRL, etc), but they'll still serve as a good pair of beater jeans later on.

I'm with Alan. I think you'll like the 514.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your condescending tone is both unappreciated and conspicuous.
Thank you
bigstar[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Levi 501 cuts change constantly, and comparing a 501 from 1933 to one from 1966 is almost meaningless. The name is more of an icon and doesn't really reflect any specific fit. Currently, the 501 has a lower rise than the 514.

I'm aware of this, which is why I said "some form or another." My own LVC 1947 501s certainly were not meant to be worn at the hips.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I'm aware of this, which is why I said "some form or another." My own LVC 1947 501s certainly were not meant to be worn at the hips.

Uhm, definitely depends on the person.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Uhm, definitely depends on the person.

True, which is partially why it's ridiculous to say that all jeans were designed to be worn at the hips.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most welcome.
Seriously though, one day, you should try to listen to people, rather than just listen to yourself talk. And by people, I don't mean just Mariano Rubinacci and iammatt - I mean other people too.

Nobody said "all jeans" - but the jeans discussed here (as are the overwhelming majority of modern denim) are designed to be worn at the hips (like everyone keeps telling you) - so the advice to pull them down is right on point.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Seriously though, one day, you should try to listen to people, rather than just listen to yourself talk. And by people, I don't mean just Mariano Rubinacci and iammatt - I mean other people too.

Nobody said "all jeans" - but the jeans discussed here (as are the overwhelming majority of modern denim) are designed to be worn at the hips (like everyone keeps telling you) - so the advice to pull them down is right on point.

+1
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics