Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

OK, I went shopping again today.

Tried to find a pair of smaller Diesels in the outlet, no luck; will try the proper shop tomorrow.

Tried on lots of different Levi cuts:

501 in 30x30 - looked way worse than the current 32" 501s I have. Just BAD.
    511 ("slim fit") - unable to find a 30. 28 was just impossible to get over my hips! Would be interested in seeing how this fits me in a 30, given my experience with the 513.
    513 ("skinny leg") in 30x34 - I was amazed to fit into them. It was TIGHT, but not scarily so. It actually felt OK. And you know, it didn't look as obscene in the mirror as I thought it would be. The inseam was 34, so there was lots of stacking (that's the right word, yes?), but to my surprise, I almost liked it. [​IMG]

I couldn't find any 514 in the store (maybe a US/UK difference?)

Mission tomorrow with be to try a different set of shops, and try to find a 511 in 30x30, and also try to exchange the 30x30 Diesel Larkee for a 28x30. If I can't find anything nice, I might try London later in the week, and look for some of the other suggestions being offered. Thanks again!

take pictures!

2. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

pull them down.
    Suggestion taken. Now the waist line sits an inch below my belly button. (see pic attached). I believe they look better. And they certainly fit me better.

They are too big in the waist, look how they are cinched by your belt.

They also look too long. I would hem them, for me this would present a dilemma as I hate hems on processed jeans.

How about now? By the way, I will have them hemmed should I decide to keep them. These are size 32x34.

To all the denim experts, are these jeans keepers? Please provide your commet. TIA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rioni

rioni Senior member

I think you could still size down atleast one but they look good. Especially for the price you paid for them [​IMG]

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

5. randallr

randallr Senior member

pull down more

Stop tell guys to pull their pants down.

6. rioni

rioni Senior member

Those have a pretty high rise, not sure how much more down they can go :/

pull down more

7. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

Those have a pretty high rise, not sure how much more down they can go :/

+1

And I don't know whether I can size down further. They are quite fit around the waist and the hip area, but they are still quite roomy at the thigh & the leg areas.

If they are good by SF standards, then I am going to keep them. They are not raw denim, but hand feel of the material is quite substantial (in a good way)

If I am going to have them hemmed, how much break should I keep, half break, full break, a tad more than full break?

They are sanforized, right?

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I own those jeans, if he can't pull them down mroe the rise is simply too high for him.

9. otc

otc Senior member

My different year RRLs (and raw) probably have almost the same rise

I just stood up and stuck a ruler on it and it was 3-4 inches below my belly button and not low at all...

That being said, with your torso cropped out, I have no idea how it is cutting your body so I cant tell if they are bad (though I am not one of our resident denim people)

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

take pictures!

Done. [​IMG]

I swapped the 29 Diesels for the 28. I think it looks better. They're definitely tighter and lower than anything I've worn before, but they're not uncomfortable. For now, I've just rolled the ends up, so they don't get in the way - should they be hemmed or should they just be left as is? Thoughts?

[​IMG]

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Day & night. MUCH better [​IMG]

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Looks better, it still looks like you are riding high. The denim is bunching in your crack. I'm guessing you just prefer the feel of trousers gathering above your waist.

As an experiment, try this. Remove the belt. Pull the pants an inch or so lower.

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

It's weird to see the reverse of my dad yelling at my brother "pull your damn pants up!"

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

As an experiment, try this. Remove the belt. Pull the pants an inch or so lower.

Wait a minute . . . are we still trying to help Holdfast get his jeans to fit?

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm wearing them round the house now with no belt. I'm going to try to avoid deliberately adjusting them at all and seeing where they end up naturally, though they're snug enough round the waist that they won't move down all that much I don't think. We'll see.