• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TH3515

Reaction score
I've heard it's pretty typical to size down in width for #38 swing last so that makes sense.
I wouldn't. I guess this will be different for every individual pair of feet. The Swing last does have a lot of toe room but offers only medium volume in the midfoot/instep. For example, I have SD pairs in #38 Swing and #55, both in the same size/width of 13B. On my feet the #38 feels about one width narrower. It's a super precise fit around the instep while the 55 is a lot more generous.

birinoah

Reaction score

Well crap... these look just amazing... I have an order in with Bakers for MP boots in Brown HH that they're holding to confirm sizing based on the Bounty Hunters I ordered. This picture got me very excited again, even though I've been second guessing my makeup decisions in the meantime - particularly toe style!

Here's my current ranking of the toe options available through Bakers (no medallion cap toe):

1. Plain unstructured toe: I wear business casual to work, and I think this sleeker toe option works best with that. I do worry that I'm trying to dress up a work boot to much, and missing out on a cool toe cap option. Unfortunately haven't seen many pictures of this makeup.
2. Structured cap toe: the most common makeup, I think it looks really great with the pronounced square toe, though a little work-booty for what I'm going for. But I mean, look at this picture. It's great. I would be very happy with this, which is why I still might do it.
3. Unstructured cap toe: I haven't seen any pictures of this option, but it sounds cool. You get the cap toe, but maybe a little less pronounced/square. Could work well with the true white's cap toe. Interesting option.
4. Plain structured toe: I just think the toe is too square for this.

What do you all think about the different toe options?

Netvine

Reaction score
Its hard to beat plain unstructured. I hear good things about unstructured cap toe.

Well crap... these look just amazing... I have an order in with Bakers for MP boots in Brown HH that they're holding to confirm sizing based on the Bounty Hunters I ordered. This picture got me very excited again, even though I've been second guessing my makeup decisions in the meantime - particularly toe style!

Here's my current ranking of the toe options available through Bakers (no medallion cap toe):

1. Plain unstructured toe: I wear business casual to work, and I think this sleeker toe option works best with that. I do worry that I'm trying to dress up a work boot to much, and missing out on a cool toe cap option. Unfortunately haven't seen many pictures of this makeup.
2. Structured cap toe: the most common makeup, I think it looks really great with the pronounced square toe, though a little work-booty for what I'm going for. But I mean, look at this picture. It's great. I would be very happy with this, which is why I still might do it.
3. Unstructured cap toe: I haven't seen any pictures of this option, but it sounds cool. You get the cap toe, but maybe a little less pronounced/square. Could work well with the true white's cap toe. Interesting option.
4. Plain structured toe: I just think the toe is too square for this.

What do you all think about the different toe options?

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Absolutely loving these brown dress SD's.

Took them exploring in Southern Ohio and found the long abandoned King's Hollow Tunnel which was built in the mid 1850's.

It's pretty impressive being made from huge timbers... This was once a booming mining area of Appalachia before the 20th century.

This rail line was active from 1856-1988.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Venetian Shoe Cream vs. Lincoln Wax
On the inner heel of my Waxed Flesh boots I applied a very liberal amount of each product with an applicator brush. Buffed it to a shine with a horse hair brush as per normal. Both products looked nearly identical to start and have been worn casually for a 10 day test period.

I am curious:

1.) Do you like how the Waxed Flesh looks Re-Waxed better than letting the natural patina stand?

2.) Which product do you think looks better?

3.) Would you do the entire boot?

Thanks for the feedback!

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Lincoln wax, it’s got a real nice shine to it. I’ve read a lot about people using Venetian and it doing a real nice job, but I like the wax better. Too bad wax doesn’t really condition. Maybe both would be nice - condition and shine? Did the wax and Venetian cream harden up over the ten days? Thanks for sharing this experiment

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @PACostag. I didn't mention the conditioning properties of VSC to keep my post neutral but I was def. thinking about that(glad you mentioned it). As you'd imagine, the VSC goes on much softer but dries up to create similar affect as the wax. It appears the VSC penetrates deeper & the Lincoln forms a shell on the surface.
So would you consider waxing the entire boot? I really enjoy the look as is but am quite tempted to give a light layer of product (vs. the quite heavy exp. application) with thorough buffing.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say scuff up the two areas, see how they respond, and go from there :)

I know so say “waxed flesh doesn’t need conditioning” but I don’t personally understand how simply reversing the exterior surface suddenly means it doesn’t need to be conditioned...

The petroleum part of VSC has always turned me off to the product, but the wax components of the products probably do the flesh surface good. I own a pair of Red Wing Merchants in spitfire and used Red Wings black boot cream on them for small repairs/refreshes to the waxed nap, but I don’t think boot cream worked as well as either of the VSC of the straight up wax. It’s a very “soft” wax that’s in their boot cream and barely makes a difference to the nap.

There’s a great post here somewhere in the bowels of reddit on a Viberg owner doing a “waxed flesh restoration” and he used VSC. His work looks great - I’ve reached out to him for more details, but crickets... maybe it’s just Viberg doing a promotion to boast Vibergs...

I’m super excited to get my waxed from Whites, but I know I won’t need to care for them for a while until the original layer of wax wears down.

Please keep us posted on what you do

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a great post here somewhere in the bowels of reddit on a Viberg owner doing a “waxed flesh restoration” and he used VSC.
I think this is to what you refer...

A good read, and it convinced me that VSC was the way to go... liberally applied...

discomute

Reaction score
Hey guys got a question

Is the arch support dependent upon the last?

I know semi dress have great arch support and main Street have none

Does that mean MP's also have none (on the Barrie last)?

Can I assume any customisation with the last for MP's or Semi Dress alter the arch support?

Q2- I notice legal eagle got pulled up at the metal detector one day. Has anyone else been through them and set them off /had to put their boots through the x-ray?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagles - so you think the VSC looks better than the Lincoln? Or do you not have an opinion
In the sense of returning the WF to factory fresh condition, I do prefer the VSC... I used the above method on my Viberg's and it really works. I have not used actual wax polish, but based on your pictures I prefer the VSC... being a liquid, it seems the VSC would be easier to apply and obtain uniformity.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got a question

Is the arch support dependent upon the last?

I know semi dress have great arch support and main Street have none

Does that mean MP's also have none (on the Barrie last)?

Can I assume any customisation with the last for MP's or Semi Dress alter the arch support?

Q2- I notice legal eagle got pulled up at the metal detector one day. Has anyone else been through them and set them off /had to put their boots through the x-ray?
Arch support is very much dependent on the last...
Although the arch support differs, all White's have some arch and likely more than pure fashion boots.
Customization with the last will impact arch support...
In my experience (with lasts I have tried) arch support from most to least is:695/690>4811>461>55>38>Barrie

My experience with the metal detector was at Federal Court where they do not mess around... at airports it has been about 50/50 when using TSA precheck and without TSA precheck you have to take your boots off anyhow, which can be a PITA...Like @Neognosis I wear lighter footwear when flying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads