• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mlwdp

Reaction score
If White’s/Wesco has taken your measurements in the past, why can’t you reference those measurements?

Baker's doesn't have the measurements that satisfy Wesco. They told me I have to do it through Wesco's style, which I have to do on my own. White's can't do my size in their Nomad/engineer boot so I have to go through Wesco. Wish I had a Wesco dealer near me, let alone a White's dealer like I did in NC.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baker's doesn't have the measurements that satisfy Wesco. They told me I have to do it through Wesco's style, which I have to do on my own. White's can't do my size in their Nomad/engineer boot so I have to go through Wesco. Wish I had a Wesco dealer near me, let alone a White's dealer like I did in NC.

Where in NC do they carry White's?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Sufu I posted my adventure to the store. It's in the Shoes that look better with age thread.

Ah right, I tried to stop there once and they were closed. So I walk next-door and had a sandwich at Allen and Son barbecue!

I am in DC, but my wife’s family is in Chapel Hill, so I hope to get there on some visit.

Dpr422

Reaction score
Just curious - I recently put an order in for a pair of Brown/CXL Otto's via Bakers. I have only seen a few pictures of these shoes, but wondering if any of you have seen them in person or own a pair. If yes, any opinions to share?

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I realize it's sacrilege to ask for RW comparisons but anyone who could photo or speak to the height of the upper on the back of the ankle on the SDs as it might compare to a round toe Beckman.

My delemia is deciding between a pair of SD's or BH's. I own a pair of RW Chukkas that were a real mother lover on the back of my achillies until broken in so I know anything much lower than the 5" Beckman height is probably lower than what will be comfortable with me.

Last edited:

Davey13

Reaction score
^^^ I'm curious also to the height of the SD. I am very close to ordering a pair of whites, and trying to decide if the 5" vs. the 6" height might be uncomfortable. Only reason I even ask is because trying to read this thread from the beginning, at around a hundred pages in someone mentions the height being a nuisance.

Would love to hear SD owners opinions of comfort vs the extra inch in the back...

TH3515

Reaction score
trying to decide if the 5" vs. the 6" height might be uncomfortable.
Rather the opposite. To my feet, 5" is the most comfortable height: Ankles well covered yet full freedom of movement. Top of shaft unnoticeable even with thin dress socks. My Bullhide SDs on the 38 last are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.
Additional height gives you more ankle support but doesn't increase comfort in my experience.
D86B4439-A0D0-460D-BFDD-C15653208AEB.jpeg

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather the opposite. To my feet, 5" is the most comfortable height: Ankles well covered yet full freedom of movement. Top of shaft unnoticeable even with thin dress socks. My Bullhide SDs on the 38 last are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.
Additional height gives you more ankle support but doesn't increase comfort in my experience. View attachment 1162894

+1

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The other thing to consider for comfort is that a 6” BH or Farmer-Rancher or the like will come with a gusseted tongue, whereas a 5” SD will be only partly gusseted. The extra fold of leather rubbing on your ankle from the gusseted tongue can be tough to break in.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The other thing to consider for comfort is that a 6” BH or Farmer-Rancher or the like will come with a gusseted tongue, whereas a 5” SD will be only partly gusseted. The extra fold of leather rubbing on your ankle from the gusseted tongue can be tough to break in.

TH3515 and linafelt are both spot on...

If you do not need the boots for some sort of manual labour or unusual ankle support, the 5" SD is the way to go. You gain nothing in comfort by going with the 6", you may get a little extra ankle support with the height and external heel counter on the 6" BH, but the effect is really de minimis, and offset by the gusseted tongue linafelt mentioned, which to me is less comfortable than the tongue on the SD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads