• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy **** is White's Horsehide nice.
Best leather they offer...
IMG-2727.JPG

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you've talked about this before, but just to be clear: the sole here is a "double leather sole," is that right?
That is correct... "Double Leather Sole"... in Baker's menu. It is found under "Sole:" and is a $50 upcharge. (Note that the order menu could be clarified if instead of "Sole:" it said "Outsole"... to avoid the following confusion:

Not to be confused with a "Double Midsole" which is an option in the "Midsole:" menu and is a $40 upcharge.

The difference as it was explained to me is that the (Out)Sole leather White's uses is tougher, thicker, and firmer than the midsole leather because it is designed to touch the ground. This makes the (Out)Sole leather more expensive than the midsole leather, hence the higher upcharge to double it.

Now Baker's order options can be a bit confusing... if you order a Midsole: Single, Sole: Leather, you don't get a single leather midsole plus leather sole, you just get the leather sole. I have ordered a Midsole: Double; Sole: Commando, which comes attached to its own half sole so you have like 3 layers of leather plus the rubber... I am wearing those today, and admittedly it is a bit of overkill.

I have never tried to order double midsole plus double leather (Out)Sole... I am not sure White's could sew something with that much leather... maybe Kyle or sambam could clarify...

So the Brown Horse above were ordered Midsole: Single, Sole: Double Leather.

(But note I still got two total layers of leather, both being the tough (Out)Sole leather - instead of the three layers (one midsole plus two (Out)Sole) logic would suggest... but I knew this going in... it seems as if when you order "Leather Sole" either single or double, it automatically deletes the midsole in the build... make sense? Kind of?)

These below in Black Horse were ordered Midsole: Double, Sole: Commando.

Hope it helps...
img_1921-jpg.133409

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is correct... "Double Leather Sole"... in Baker's menu. It is found under "Sole:" and is a $50 upcharge.
Not to be confused with a "Double Midsole" which is an option in the "Midsole:" menu and is a $40 upcharge.

The difference as it was explained to me is that the outsole leather White's uses is tougher, thicker, and firmer than the midsole leather because it is designed to touch the ground. This makes the sole leather more expensive than the midsole leather, hence the higher upcharge to double it.

Now Baker's order options can be a bit confusing... if you order a Midsole: Single, Sole: Leather, you don't get a single leather midsole plus leather sole, you just get the leather sole. I have ordered a Midsole: Double; Sole: Commando, which comes attached to its own half sole so you have like 3 layers of leather plus the rubber... I am wearing those today, and admittedly it is a bit of overkill.

I have never tried to order double midsole plus double leather sole... I am not sure White's could sew something with that much leather... maybe Kyle or sambam could clarify...

So the brown horse above was ordered Midsole: Single, Sole: Double Leather.

These in Black Horse were ordered Midsole: Double, Sole: Commando.

Hope it helps...
img_1921-jpg.133409

Great, thanks! Exactly the distinctions I was trying to parse..

gte872h

Reaction score
That is correct... "Double Leather Sole"... in Baker's menu. It is found under "Sole:" and is a $50 upcharge. (Note that the order menu could be clarified if instead of "Sole:" it said "Outsole"... to avoid the following confusion:

The difference as it was explained to me is that the (Out)Sole leather White's uses is tougher, thicker, and firmer than the midsole leather because it is designed to touch the ground. This makes the (Out)Sole leather more expensive than the midsole leather, hence the higher upcharge to double it.

I have never tried to order double midsole plus double leather (Out)Sole... I am not sure White's could sew something with that much leather... maybe Kyle or sambam could clarify...

So the Brown Horse above were ordered Midsole: Single, Sole: Double Leather.

(But note I still got two total layers of leather, both being the tough (Out)Sole leather - instead of the three layers (one midsole plus two (Out)Sole) logic would suggest... but I knew this going in... it seems as if when you order "Leather Sole" either single or double, it automatically deletes the midsole in the build... make sense? Kind of?)

These below in Black Horse were ordered Midsole: Double, Sole: Commando.

Hope it helps...
img_1921-jpg.133409

For anyone planning on ordering a double leather sole configuration, make sure to specify and confirm they use two outsole layers for the build. I ordered a single midsole and double leather sole but ended up with a standard midsole for my build. Here’s a picture from when my boots were new with a standard midsole and single outsole.

27D03C54-4B86-46F4-BA0F-FEB534C3A8CD.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone planning on ordering a double leather sole configuration, make sure to specify and confirm they use two outsole layers for the build. I ordered a single midsole and double leather sole but ended up with a standard midsole for my build. Here’s a picture from when my boots were new with a standard midsole and single outsole.

View attachment 1163179
Dang... you are right... you got a single leather midsole and a single leather outsole. Did they charge you for the double leather outsole? Very interesting... did you complain? Did you get an explanation?

TH3515

Reaction score
^ I am planning double leather for a possible "dress" boot in the near future and was under the impression that all "inner" sole layers consist of "midsole" type leather. What advantage would a second layer of outsole leather have if it never touches the ground?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I am planning double leather for a possible "dress" boot in the near future and was under the impression that all "inner" sole layers consist of "midsole" type leather. What advantage would a second layer of outsole leather have if it never touches the ground?
It will eventually touch the ground when the first layer wears through!

Seriously, being thicker and stiffer, and being a big guy, two layers of outsole leather are stiffer, support my feet better, and insulate from heat loss on the cold ground. You also have less feel for rocks and stones when walking. Plus for me the bottom layer seems to wear longer when backed by a second stiff outsole rather than a regular midsole. Did I mention they were stiffer?

Aesthetically they match better as the layers take the edge dressing the same way.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously, being thicker and stiffer, and being a big guy, two layers of outsole leather are stiffer, support my feet better, and insulate from heat loss on the cold ground. You also have less feel for rocks and stones when walking. Plus for me the bottom layer seems to wear longer when backed by a second stiff outsole rather than a regular midsole. Did I mention they were stiffer?

Aesthetically they match better as the layers take the edge dressing the same way.

Stiffer, but the same thickness..?

gte872h

Reaction score
Dang... you are right... you got a single leather midsole and a single leather outsole. Did they charge you for the double leather outsole? Very interesting... did you complain? Did you get an explanation?

It irked me when I first received them but I tried to forget about it since all the other details of the MTO build were correct. A similar thing happened with my Wesco MTO where they didn’t use packer upper stitching as I specified. All of my MTOs have had one thing to overlook after delivery. My Viberg MTO had everything built as I specified but one of the boots squeaks when I walk. The squeaking actually bothers me more than the other two.

TH3515

Reaction score

Thank you very much for the info. I didn't know this even was an option. If I read an earlier post correctly, it's just 10$ more than the standard "double leather sole" (meaning normal midsole plus oak leather outsole)?
I'm pretty big and heavy too, so this would probably make sense.
r

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member