• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a part of me that feels White's Stevens boot might be the meta boot for importing. Firstly, it's a great competitor to Viberg; it's cheaper and more customizable and I'm pretty sure it's the same last as the MP boots.

But the second critical part is that it's goodyearwelted instead of handwelted. You don't necessarily have to send it back to Baker / White's to get it resoled in the future.

Maybe there's room for a MP boot (with the all leather construction), but with a GYW instead of hand welt. Steven doesn't have all leather construction IIRC (it's oak filling and a shank?)
I think you have the Main Street and Stevens Mixed up. Stevens is Stichdown, Main Street is GYW. Both have leather midsoles and shanks.

wordfool

Reaction score

lasting_good

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New poster here looking to buy his first pair of welted boots on the White's Black Friday sale! Planning to order through Baker's since my feet are wonky and I want to make sure to get the right size. Just wanted a sanity check (validation) on the order and would love to see pictures if you own boots similar to these! Particularly interested in the "all brass eyes" since I couldn't find many Cinnamon WF with brass eyes online. Also would appreciate any pics of patinaed Cinnamon WF

• Boot: MP
  • Last: 55 (like the idea of good arch support)
  • Leather: Cinnamon WF
  • Height: 6"
  • Leather Liner: No Thanks
  • Logo: Yes
  • Toe Cap: Vintage 4 row
  • Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
  • Hardware: All Brass Eyes
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Sole: Commando Mini Lug
  • Heel: 1/4" lower (since I'm tall enough already)
  • Lace Design: Standard
  • Size: Custom measurements sent in to Baker's
(I'm an office worker looking for fashionable boots, don't intend to do a lot of hard work in these but would enjoy the waterproofness)

Last edited:

iambretton

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New poster here looking to buy his first pair of welted boots on the White's Black Friday sale! Planning to order through Baker's since my feet are wonky and I want to make sure to get the right size. Just wanted a sanity check (validation) on the order and would love to see pictures if you own boots similar to these! Particularly interested in the "all brass eyes" since I couldn't find many Cinnamon WF with brass eyes online. Also would appreciate any pics of patinaed Cinnamon WF

(I'm an office worker looking for fashionable boots, don't intend to do a lot of hard work in these but would enjoy the waterproofness)
Sounds like a nice build! My only concern would be the 55 last with a lower heel. It is my understanding that the reason the heel exists is to provide such arch support that you may be looking for. I am not certain how the arch support would be effected by the lower heel, but the last is designed to provide arch support and the heel is simply a consequence of that support. When I worked as a cobbler we always said the higher the heel, the higher the arch support. That being said, a quarter inch isn't much. Otherwise it sounds sweet! Cinnamon WF would be my choice if I were to go the route of WF.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I second what @iambretton said about heel height.
I would like to add that if you are an office worker you have found the right company, most of us here are office workers and I can tell you about myself, I can't imagine wearing anything but White's.

wordfool

Reaction score

Cinnamon WF is one of the best WF colors IMO, alongside Olive. I had a pair of MPs in black WF and sold them (more for the dislike of the Barrie last than the WF color). Currently have a pair of BHs in dark brown WF and they're just... plain dark brown. Not the most interesting color right now, but will hopefully patina into something more unique.

As for build, I'm not a huge fan of brass, but it'll probably look good on these especially if you go with the lighter, natural edge dressing. I'm curious about why you opted for the MP on a 55 last and not an SD or BH on the 55 last. The MP would look most unique on this last if you request the single-piece backstay (the MP-M1 backstay), which I had on my old MPs. It really makes them stand out from other boots that have standard heel counters. I presume you can still special-request it from Baker's.

As others have said, standard heel height is best on the 55 last to get the full effect of the arch support. A quarter inch ain't going to make you much taller, after all, but I guess it's a personal preference thing. I have White's boots with both standard-height heel and lowered block heels and TBH I can barely tell the difference. The arch support is still the same in the boot, but you just feel it slightly differently depending on heel height. There is an argument to be made that the last is designed for a specific heel height so best to stick with that, but I broke the rules and have no regrets and if you're used to boots with less of an overall rise then there is another potential argument to be made to stick with a slightly lower heel so as not to mess with your natural gait.

Some patina pics (not mine):

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for build, I'm not a huge fan of brass, but it'll probably look good on these especially if you go with the lighter, natural edge
What hardware do you prefer?

lasting_good

Reaction score
I like the slightly more sleek look of the MPs (long in the toe). And I really dislike the zigzag tongue flap of the BH (personal preference of course). The M1 backstay is a great idea, thanks!

lasting_good

Reaction score
As for build, I'm not a huge fan of brass, but it'll probably look good on these especially if you go with the lighter, natural edge dressing. I'm curious about why you opted for the MP on a 55 last and not an SD or BH on the 55 last. The MP would look most unique on this last if you request the single-piece backstay (the MP-M1 backstay), which I had on my old MPs. It really makes them stand out from other boots that have standard heel counters. I presume you can still special-request it from Baker's.

I like the slightly more sleek look of the MPs (long in the toe). And I really dislike the zigzag tongue flap of the BH (personal preference of course). The M1 backstay is a great idea, thanks!

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
If you like the sleeker look, I’d recommend having them built on the 5050 last, which had the sleeker MP toe with the arch support of the 55 last.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
Cinnamon WF is one of the best WF colors IMO, alongside Olive. I had a pair of MPs in black WF and sold them (more for the dislike of the Barrie last than the WF color). Currently have a pair of BHs in dark brown WF and they're just... plain dark brown. Not the most interesting color right now, but will hopefully patina into something more unique.

As others have said, standard heel height is best on the 55 last to get the full effect of the arch support. A quarter inch ain't going to make you much taller, after all, but I guess it's a personal preference thing. I have White's boots with both standard-height heel and lowered block heels and TBH I can barely tell the difference. The arch support is still the same in the boot, but you just feel it slightly differently depending on heel height. There is an argument to be made that the last is designed for a specific heel height so best to stick with that, but I broke the rules and have no regrets and if you're used to boots with less of an overall rise then there is another potential argument to be made to stick with a slightly lower heel so as not to mess with your natural gait.

Some patina pics (not mine):

How did you like the black WF? As far as I can tell, it’s surface dyed. My only worry is that it might look too ‘ratty’ with time. I guess rewaxing might help with that, though.

iamntbatman

Reaction score

By "zigzag tongue flap" are you talking about the kiltie? That's just laced into the boots and is totally removeable.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding heel height - I some SDs with 1/4" reduced heel and arch support still works great. Don't sweat it.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that Cinnamon WF is more of a rough looking material - so it's more of a "rugged" look than "fashionable" per se. Not that it's bad at all. But, to me, it's an odd vibe to pair with business casual, office - it's more of an outdoor type of leather. For a first pair of quality boots you're planning on wearing to the office, I think you should consider other leathers. And, as mentioned, don't sweat the 1/4" shorter heel - the arch ease works just fine. I have it in one of my pairs and it's not a problem at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads