• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Question for the guys here who have both 4811 and 55 last - do you size different for each last or take the same size for both?

I'm an 8E/8EE combo last in Whites 55 last (plenty of room in forefoot for my toes) and 8.5E in Nicks 55 last (great fit, still has room for toes). Will an 8.5E in the 4811 last be too narrow for me?

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Question for the guys here who have both 4811 and 55 last - do you size different for each last or take the same size for both?

I'm an 8E/8EE combo last in Whites 55 last (plenty of room in forefoot for my toes) and 8.5E in Nicks 55 last (great fit, still has room for toes). Will an 8.5E in the 4811 last be too narrow for me?

I order the same size in both of those lasts.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order the same size in both of those lasts.
Same here... could maybe go 1/2 size shorter in the 4811 due to the arch pulling in my toes, but I like toe room in my boots so I just leave it because it is easier to remember one size.

klank74

Reaction score
I think it’s time to clean my other pair of work boots? can anyone recommend a leather conditioner that will still protect, but won’t attract all kinds of dirt? I’ve been using Obenhaufs HDLP or Hubert’s shoe grease. Both condition and protect great, but they both seem to attract and hold onto dirt like crazy with the Obenhaufs being the worst.
ACA57E95-4780-435F-8B12-02BF68F22915.jpeg

Luscombe

Reaction score
So after seeing this, I had to change my black waxed flesh MPs to natural Maryam Stevens with a soft toe. Damn the cost. They’ll probably also be more suitable for wear at the time of their arrival, which I guess will be around May.
Yep, I saw that same photo and changed my Stevens order from brown HH to Maryam Natty HH. So stoked and waiting until May is just fine.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I
I think it’s time to clean my other pair of work boots? can anyone recommend a leather conditioner that will still protect, but won’t attract all kinds of dirt? I’ve been using Obenhaufs HDLP or Hubert’s shoe grease. Both condition and protect great, but they both seem to attract and hold onto dirt like crazy with the Obenhaufs being the worst. View attachment 1708882
I have to imagine any conditioner that is being used to matte down the nap of a RO will always attract dust. Does it ever feel dry to the touch? If I recall I think you mentioned regret on doing that to the RO, however with some wear the RO looks great IMO, maybe I'll have to do it to a pair of mine when they arrive :)

theofficialhung

Reaction score
@ThreeLions @Legal Eagles thanks for the feedback I'll probably stick with the 55 to avoid unwelcome sizing issues.

Does anybody know if it's possible to make an unstructured LTT boot? I like my soft toe bounty hunters and want a LTT version in olive waxed flesh.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Whites and apparently this is possible. Pretty excited since I love the comfort of unstructured and want to avoid the toe ridge that pops up in some LTT builds.

Last edited:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ThreeLions @Legal Eagles thanks for the feedback I'll probably stick with the 55 to avoid unwelcome sizing issues.

Does anybody know if it's possible to make an unstructured LTT boot? I like my soft toe bounty hunters and want a LTT version in olive waxed flesh.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Whites and apparently this is possible. Pretty excited since I love the comfort of unstructured and want to avoid the toe ridge that pops up in some LTT builds.

I've been told they nixed that as an option, but I'm sure they'd accommodate you if you really wanted it

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told they nixed that as an option, but I'm sure they'd accommodate you if you really wanted it
Was that in response to your unfortunate "toe ridge" incident?
1637788564904.png

FutureComesToday

Reaction score

Baker's told me Monday that White's won't do a soft toe LTT boot. I want this, and would prefer to buy from Baker's as they've been great for me in the past.

@Quack Attack

klank74

Reaction score
I

I have to imagine any conditioner that is being used to matte down the nap of a RO will always attract dust. Does it ever feel dry to the touch? If I recall I think you mentioned regret on doing that to the RO, however with some wear the RO looks great IMO, maybe I'll have to do it to a pair of mine when they arrive :)
The nap comes back up for the most part. Never really felt dry to the touch though. If it would get that sort of dry, hard feel to it like the waxed flesh leathers, that would be awesome, but I imagine that has something to do with Horween’s tanning process. I’ve used both the conditioners I mentioned for smooth leathers before and dirt would stick to them as well. Probably because of the wax that is in them. I’ve used Bick 4 on my work boots before and it worked great at conditioning and not attracting dirt, but it didn’t do much protection wise. I cone into contact with oil, grease, coolant and would still get stains on my boots. To be fair, I’ve gotten stains with the other 2 as well, but not as quickly. I guess these being black, anything would work.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Baker's told me Monday that White's won't do a soft toe LTT boot. I want this, and would prefer to buy from Baker's as they've been great for me in the past.

@Quack Attack
Sambam reports in post 12,157 that the celastic toe decreases the evidence of that seam. I got mine (with a soft toe), it was thought that the prevalence of the seam was due to choosing a soft toe in that style. I actually found this thread (and the post from sambam) as a result of the seam, to try and find out what was wrong with my boots!
Shortly thereafter, lots of pictures of boots WITH the celastic had just as prominent a ridge, as seen above in the picture @Legal Eagles is referencing, began to surface.
Mine are getting rebuilt due to the internal heel stitch spitting- I didn’t indicate what to do with the toe box.. we will see what happens. Comfort wise- I like em soft. 5D672E9D-9F7E-48DE-AB25-4E339AB5908C.jpeg
48A5BFF9-D7F9-49A6-9C7E-57F836F402B7.jpeg ,

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads