• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody know what color this is. Sturdy, a Japanese retailer in Yokohama with some nice makeups, calls it "browndom", but I can't find it under that name.

It's probably either "Red Dog Smooth" or "Brown Smooth"

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it's Red Dog. The Red Dog looks to be a brighter red to me.

Very similar, but the "browndom" has a darker, brownish and warmer tone. Could it be Sienna?

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guessing Brown Smooth.

Here's a comparison of the two:

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I think you're right! Thanks! "Browndom" is an awfully odd name. What do you think of that Smoke Jumper makeup. What does LTT mean?

I'm mulling over a leather jacket in "red brown" that looks very close to the brown smooth.

Last edited:

battmest

Reaction score
Bl@ster those standard browns are beautiful. The natural sole complements them very nicely. The photography doesn't hurt, either.

**** like this isn't making my eight-week wait any easier.... fffffffff

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice indeed! I am curious about the heel: I know it is lowered by 1/4", but it actually looks more low and less tapered than usual, which I like. Do you all think that's because it's just a plain leather sole, with no Vibram? That is, if you added a Vibram commando half sole, would they add another lift to the heel to compensate? If I could have the heel as pictured here with a half sole in the front, I'd be happy.

My new White's SD are in from Baker's. Went with the "classic brown" leather this time around, with tapered heel, and 1/4" lowered heel. Couldn't be happier with them. According to Baker's, the "classic brown" leather is dry-tanned a, which nd will take a polish nicely and patina with age similar to the dress brown. It will develop a crackly finish and patina fairly quickly.
Here's the full config:
Last Standard, Sole Leather, Size - Length 11, Hardware All Antique Eyes, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather Classic Brown, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Classic Brown, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap No Thanks, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base Standard
Here are a couple shots (click for high-res). I tried to color correct these as best I could, but in real life they are more of a deep brown and less saturated in color:

Addahn

Reaction score
Some of those leathers you mentioned aren't more durable, at least as far as footwear is concerned. I've ridden bikes for better than 3 decades and my antics while wearing 1K boots in both CXL and shell are well documented on this board.
For sure. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'durable'. Also it's all about application. I would get a reign in kangaroo not bison and I would get some gloves in calf or sheep not shark, ya know?
I just took issue with you saying that CXL has about everything beat as far as durability which is absolutely absurd. Don't get me wrong I dig on CXL, I just think its a poor boot leather if you are trying to make some really really hard wearing boots.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice indeed!  I am curious about the heel:  I know it is lowered by 1/4", but it actually looks more low and less tapered than usual, which I like.  Do you all think that's because it's just a plain leather sole, with no Vibram?  That is, if you added a Vibram commando half sole, would they add another lift to the heel to compensate?  If I could have the heel as pictured here with a half sole in the front, I'd be happy.

lowered 1/4" leather sole/ no vibram will be lower than the 1/4" leather sole/vibram by depending on the thickness of that vibram sole.

From my understanding, by default, yes they would add an extra layer of leather in the heel to compensate for the added height that the half-sole would add-all because this would affect the arch ease.

fuzzyearlobes

Reaction score
For sure. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'durable'. Also it's all about application. I would get a reign in kangaroo not bison and I would get some gloves in calf or sheep not shark, ya know?
I just took issue with you saying that CXL has about everything beat as far as durability which is absolutely absurd. Don't get me wrong I dig on CXL, I just think its a poor boot leather if you are trying to make some really really hard wearing boots.
i feel you. The CXL on my White's is fine for my application, but I would not get work boots with CXL. Other leathers resist scuffing and scratching much better than CXL. I dont think this means CXL is going to wear out any faster under typical usage. I just think for certain applcations its fine. Others, maybe not the best choice.

Last edited:

battmest

Reaction score
Those should have "SWAG" stenciled on the sides of those ugly *****.

Then they'd be cool. Cuz they got "swag."

Do people still say "fugly?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads