• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anrobit

Reaction score
My first pair of White's arrived today, and I couldn't be happier. Just like people said, it makes all my other boots seem meaningless now. I've got a good amount of break-in to do, but I can already tell that I'm absolutely in love with these. More photos to follow, but I'm headed into the woods for a winter hike to start breaking them in.

9" BH in Distressed Smooth lined in tan, Vibram 430, single midsole (natural), close trim, lowered block heel, antique hooks and eyes.

Look forward to seeing more pictures of those cathpah, and to seeing them in person

cathpah

Reaction score

^ These look very cool.

While I wait for pics from Tavoz (hint hint) to help me think about my black horsehide SD order (or the alternative, black CXL SJs), here's a question for you all:   with black boots, would you choose Natural sole edge, or Brown sole edge?  I keep going back and forth.  And I definitely want silver eyelets, if that makes a difference...

Natural all day long. The contrast is beautiful.

andy b.

Reaction score

My first pair of White's arrived today, and I couldn't be happier. Just like people said, it makes all my other boots seem meaningless now. I've got a good amount of break-in to do, but I can already tell that I'm absolutely in love with these. More photos to follow, but I'm headed into the woods for a winter hike to start breaking them in. 9" BH in Distressed Smooth lined in tan, Vibram 430, single midsole (natural), close trim, lowered block heel, antique hooks and eyes.
Definitely post more pics! I am really leaning towards the Distressed Smooth for my next pair.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ These look very cool.

While I wait for pics from Tavoz (hint hint) to help me think about my black horsehide SD order (or the alternative, black CXL SJs), here's a question for you all:   with black boots, would you choose Natural sole edge, or Brown sole edge?  I keep going back and forth.  And I definitely want silver eyelets, if that makes a difference...

Natural for sure. They'll patina up with time, but early on makes for a superb contrast with black. And don't overlook brass. ;)

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly!!!

Both black cxl:

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
Cathpah, those BHs are cool as spit! Congrats and thx for the extra photos- keep em coming as these evo
smile.gif

Did I miss it; single celastic toe box, right? Also, you go with leather lined or not? As an oil tanned leather this stuff should be crazy thick, no?
Yep, single celastic all the way. Just enough structure to keep it's shape, but not so much that it won't relax over time. I'd potentially go soft toe on a roughout boot, but I'm happy with my decision here.

I did go for leather lining, but purely because I somehow made a mistake when filling out the form on buildaboot. Not quite sure how, but I feared that it would be too thick with the lining, but now that they've arrived, I have zero regrets for the lining. Yep, leather is pretty damn thick, but I did so intentionally. I really messed up an ankle at the top of Katahdin last year, so I wanted something that would give me all the support in the world. I quite literally can't roll my ankle in these even if I tried.

I like these so much that I might even pay the ridiculous upcharge for a pair in shell at some point. These boots just love my feet, and vice versa.

In the mean time, I'm trying out a pair of 6" Nick's in dark olive CXL, next.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying to get Whiskey cordovan semi-dress boots on Christy sole, but haven't had much luck - mostly because Whiskey is a rare color...

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I think I may go for brown rather than natural on my SDs - brown dress with brass.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads