• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about a Northwest? Not enough of them around.
The issue is finding whiskey cordovan... I suspect Alden just buys it all. May have to source some from Italy or Japan if I can figure out how.

2eleven

Reaction score
One thing to consider about natural is that it will quickly turn a golden/orange/brown, so it won't look like the above photo for long. Whether you like what it changes into is personal preference, but I think natural on black boots looks best when brand new. The brown edge will keep its color better, and can be re-dyed easily as it wears. Something to consider.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Been trying to get Whiskey cordovan semi-dress boots on Christy sole, but haven't had much luck - mostly because Whiskey is a rare color...

Dear god, why would you do something as awful as that? A Christy sole is quite possibly the ugliest thing you could put on a pair of cordovan boots, especially something rare and beautiful as whiskey color. It's like putting a platinum Patek Philippe on a Velcro strap.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear god, why would you do something as awful as that? A Christy sole is quite possibly the ugliest thing you could put on a pair of cordovan boots, especially something rare and beautiful as whiskey color. It's like putting a platinum Patek Philippe on a Velcro strap.

Heh, I kind of like them and have plenty of other boots, so why not one with a Christy? Admittedly I admit it is sort of ridiculous and lately have been thinking about spending my money on exotic leather dress shoes instead.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do it. They're just White's, it's not like you're putting them on some Edward Greens or something.

andy b.

Reaction score

More photos can be seen here.

Pretty cool that they include 2 free bookmarks.  (I kid, I kid.)

Great pics! And I love how you went right out and wore them on a hike. That is what they're built for.
I am REALLY leaning towards this leather for my next pair.

Keep posting some wear pics after you've hiked around in them for a while. I want to see how they age.

You know, when you send boots back to White's for a rebuild, they give you a new set of bookmarks. I think in a few years when I send a pair back, I will keep the old ones and actually use them as such.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been trying to get Whiskey cordovan semi-dress boots on Christy sole, but haven't had much luck - mostly because Whiskey is a rare color...

Never heard of white's doing whisky. I think the only shell they do is #8.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They will make you a boot out of rat ass you provide the hide(s) :D

Yeah, basically. Hell, it would be easier to get boots made out of something like croc or stingray than whiskey cordovan given availability.

Rat's ass, though... hmmm., probably hard to get premium cuts of that.

hollowsleather

Reaction score
*unless they have an exclusivity contract with a Japanese dealer for rat ass boots. Certain makeups are definitely off limits for this reason.

Warpiper

Reaction score
I think that color scheme would be awesome! I ordered a two tone pair of semi dress for which I am currently waiting. I can't wait to see pictures of yours.

OlafG

Reaction score
It can't possibly be worth more than twice the price to get a pair of White's SD made up in shell cordovan? Don't get me wrong, I love shell cordovan, but I think it's more fair that they cost around 50% like Alden and not more than twice the price of a normal SD.

I would think two pairs of SD's in for example CXL would last longer than one in shell anyway.

cathpah

Reaction score
It can't possibly be worth more than twice the price to get a pair of White's SD made up in shell cordovan? Don't get me wrong, I love shell cordovan, but I think it's more fair that they cost around 50% like Alden and not more than twice the price of a normal SD.

I would think two pairs of SD's in for example CXL would last longer than one in shell anyway.
While I agree that their upcharge for shell is downright outrageous, I imagine part of it is the fact that they're ordering shell in such smaller quantities than Alden...but that's only a part of it. I'd have to assume that they're doing it mostly because they think they can, and that because they assume anyone tracking down their boots in shell has ample money to do so (something I don't support or agree with). I'm mighty tempted to order a pair in shell, but I find the upcharge hard to justify, both functionally (is it really twice the boot?) and philosphically (do I really want to support such an insane upcharge?).

As far as lasting longer in CXL, I'm not sure I follow/agree. Shell is remarkably resilient, and should last every bit as long as CXL if properly taken care of.

Edit: I just noticed that you said *two* pairs in CXL. That I can get behind. Unfortunately, shell has that innate ability to roll instead of crease, which is just so damn sexy.

I wonder if Nick's would make a boot in shell?

Last edited:

OlafG

Reaction score
My point was that you might have boots for a longer period of time with two pairs in CXL rather than one pair in shell, and it would most likely be cheaper.

I'm tempted too as I really do love shell cordovan, but, it's hard. I already have too many dark brown/red-ish boots anyway.

Edit: A bit trigger happy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads