• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just chatted with Kyle about Chamois a week or two ago. Didn't sound like anything was going to happen for the time being, but you could probably one-off build them if you can source the leather from Horween.

barbellhacks

Reaction score
They may be trying too hard to be all things and end up diluting their brand.

I remember feeling something like disgust when I first saw a shell MP several years ago. It seemed like an affront to White's heritage. And too Viberg-y

Not sure what happened, but shell MPs now seem absolutely brand-authentic...and the perfect incarnation of casual boot [editor's comments: this boot-whore Champion of the American Craftsman just bought the perfect incarnation of casual boot].

wordfool

Reaction score
It got me thinking that if White‘s really wants to compete in the fashion end of the market it perhaps needs to become more agile when it comes to leather options and offer more “flavor of the month” leathers like pull-up options and chamois (which seems to be the “new“ waxed flesh based on all the recent Viberg and Alden collaborations flying off the shelves).

Last edited:

Sledge42

Reaction score
I'm in the camp of "White's can do whatever it wants."

If White's wants to venture into some different markets- they sure as shoot have the brand recognition and namesake history behind them to compete in that market. The GYW folks are huge on "Well I wouldn't buy this because even though it is a stellar build- the company has only been in business for 3 years blah blah bull*hit blah*

I'm certain that White's (Being in business since 1853) is smart enough to know that if they get into the "Fashion Boot Market" they will have to be prepared for the SUPER DUPER picky folks that come with the demographic. All business decisions they need to make.

I'll just see what comes out and if it suits my fancy, I'll buy them. Because of the quality of boots I own by White's already, I wouldn't hesitate to be first in line for a newly released boot if it were something I liked!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the camp of "White's can do whatever it wants."

If White's wants to venture into some different markets- they sure as shoot have the brand recognition and namesake history behind them to compete in that market. The GYW folks are huge on "Well I wouldn't buy this because even though it is a stellar build- the company has only been in business for 3 years blah blah bull*hit blah*

I'm certain that White's (Being in business since 1853) is smart enough to know that if they get into the "Fashion Boot Market" they will have to be prepared for the SUPER DUPER picky folks that come with the demographic. All business decisions they need to make.

I'll just see what comes out and if it suits my fancy, I'll buy them. Because of the quality of boots I own by White's already, I wouldn't hesitate to be first in line for a newly released boot if it were something I liked!

I too support their decision. For their sake, I just hope it's the right decision as the marketplace is littered with the carcasses of failed and failing companies who tried to do too much and overextended themselves. I believe Jcrew is preparing their filing this weekend.

Sledge42

Reaction score
@Patek
Oof.. You can't compare a "Throw Away" retailer with a debt load of $1.7 billion to White's IMHO.

I obviously have no idea the financials of White's Boots, but I am doubting they are carrying a debt load even close to a JCrew, nor would they be leveraged out the wazoo.

wordfool

Reaction score
@Patek
Oof.. You can't compare a "Throw Away" retailer with a debt load of $1.7 billion to White's IMHO.

I obviously have no idea the financials of White's Boots, but I am doubting they are carrying a debt load even close to a JCrew, nor would they be leveraged out the wazoo.

I was curious about White's corporate owner (ABC Mart) so dug up the financials and discovered that it's uncannily similar in size to J-Crew at first glance. Revenues are about the same (around $2.5 billion annually), but total debt is substantially lower. Still, I bet ABC is hurting through this crisis as well since they are also essentially a consumer fashion retailer (mainly shoes vs clothes for J-Crew)

In the spirit of planning White's future, I wonder if ABC's ownership of both White's and Danner will ever result in a White's X Danner collaboration of any kind. Could be interesting. A Christy-soled boot with Semi-Dress pedigree?! A Euroweave MP boot?!
:hide:

Last edited:

Sledge42

Reaction score
In the spirit of planning White's future, I wonder if ABC's ownership of both White's and Danner will ever result in a White's X Danner collaboration of any kind. Could be interesting. A Christy-soled boot with Semi-Dress pedigree?! A Euroweave MP boot?!

You are hiding behind that wall out of fear of the Crepe Sole idea aren't you. :p :p

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Here's my boot build now:

Boot: Semi-Dress
Last: Standard
Leather: Navy CXL
Leather liner: None
Pull loops: No
No celastic toe box
Medallion Dress Toe Cap
Hardware: Antique eyes and hooks
Edge: Brown
Midsole: Single
Heel base: Cuban
Sole: Vibram 430 mini vib
Sole trim: Close trim

I was flirting with the idea of having the heel raised but I think I'll save that for another boot. I would love to get these with some contrast stitching too but based on past comments, it seems its not offered by Bakers.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Patek

That was this weekend's example. The marketplace is littered with companies that overexpanded and lost everything. HD is another current example (although they are still in business but are retrenching.)

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I was curious about White's corporate owner (ABC Mart) so dug up the financials and discovered that it's uncannily similar in size to J-Crew at first glance. Revenues are about the same (around $2.5 billion annually), but total debt is substantially lower. Still, I bet ABC is hurting through this crisis as well since they are also essentially a consumer fashion retailer (mainly shoes vs clothes for J-Crew)

I doubt it. I'm not sure about other markets, but there are countless ABC Marts in Korea, Taiwan, and its native Japan. As common in that part of the world as Footlocker is (was?) in the U.S.A. Here in Korea they're likely the top retailer for footwear, as the other big franchise (LesMore) competes for second place with all the name brand outlets. In any case, there was never a full lockdown here in Korea, and we're down to zero community transmission cases. I think the situation in Taiwan was even better. Japan has experienced a second wave of infections and regional lockdowns, but compared to Western retailers I think they'll be just fine. People in the "breadbasket" of ABC's business are out and about, shopping and spending money.

discomute

Reaction score
Ah man that's frustrating; what do you think you'll do if it never resolves?

Sorry for the late response, thought I had the covid, turned out to be the flu. Thanks to everyone for upping the level of chatter, I couldn't even watch Netflix as I kept getting motion sick in my fever.

Honestly it is at the stage I'm not worried. Its just one shoe, and if I do it up tighter than is comfortable it works. Or, if I use a newer pair of socks and keep them pulled up,it won't happen. If I do them looser than is comfortable,I can just pull them up every hour (generally.y option) I'm 100% sure if I invested in fancy socks I'd solve the issue. So I have options.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be worth trying tighter-fitting socks, assuming you are wearing size Large you could go with Medium instead. Look at Darn Tough, and plenty of other good brands like Lorpen, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Balega, Ballston, Drymax... just something that fits. I’ve also had better luck with 3/4 height socks because crew socks hit my pronounced calf but don’t cover it, so they tend to sag to the bottom of the calf.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmix0509