• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Do you guys think brown edge on black horsehide boots would look bad? I'm working on a build and was thinking the brown edge might go well with the antique or brass eyes/hooks.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think brown edge on black horsehide boots would look bad? I'm working on a build and was thinking the brown edge might go well with the antique or brass eyes/hooks.
I think it would look good. My black CXLs originally had a brown edge and I liked it a lot. I got natural when I resoled and I liked that too. After two years or so the natural looked brown anyway.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think you f'd up?

Well, I really wanted Dark Olive CXL but the closes they had was Olive WF. I ordered that but then bought a pair of Vibergs in Brown WF so I went back and changed those to natural CXL. I was also unsure of the height but the one pair of BH I have are 8" so I went with that on both. Unsure about soles, unsure about toe structure, unsure about toe cap (I did one with and one without), etc. I may get something that I hate. I guess I could always resell on here for $150 or so less.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Well, I really wanted Dark Olive CXL but the closes they had was Olive WF. I ordered that but then bought a pair of Vibergs in Brown WF so I went back and changed those to natural CXL. I was also unsure of the height but the one pair of BH I have are 8" so I went with that on both. Unsure about soles, unsure about toe structure, unsure about toe cap (I did one with and one without), etc. I may get something that I hate. I guess I could always resell on here for $150 or so less.
You sound like me last year when I first got into this. This place helped me when I was unsure and also helped me figure out what I like and don't like..

I know the boots are already in production, but what you can do is google or search reddit for boots in the same leathers you requested. More than likely you'll find a pair with a similar, if not exact, build as yours. Save the pictures to your phone and live with them. It will help give you an idea of what you like and don't.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like me last year when I first got into this. This place helped me when I was unsure and also helped me figure out what I like and don't like..

I know the boots are already in production, but what you can do is google or search reddit for boots in the same leathers you requested. More than likely you'll find a pair with a similar, if not exact, build as yours. Save the pictures to your phone and live with them. It will help give you an idea of what you like and don't.
Thanks, plenty of googling going on but people's Instagram pictures in perfect lighting makes it hard to tell. I have been on here for 10 years so I do understand the process and the trial an error. I just sold a pair of EG on eBay as 8 or so years ago I purchased six pairs of them and only recently came to acknowledge that the 82 last is just not right for my feet (I do love the 888 last though).

miggyramone

Reaction score
Thanks, plenty of googling going on but people's Instagram pictures in perfect lighting makes it hard to tell. I have been on here for 10 years so I do understand the process and the trial an error. I just sold a pair of EG on eBay as 8 or so years ago I purchased six pairs of them and only recently came to acknowledge that the 82 last is just not right for my feet (I do love the 888 last though).
Ah, apologies if you felt like I was talking down to you. Not the case at all. I know the feeling. Sometimes though, a picture is better than in person. For me, I love every 38 swing boot LE posts. 38 Swing also fits me well but I hate the shape and look of the last on me. It took me 4 pairs of 38 Swing SD's to figure that out.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, apologies if you felt like I was talking down to you. Not the case at all. I know the feeling. Sometimes though, a picture is better than in person. For me, I love every 38 swing boot LE posts. 38 Swing also fits me well but I hate the shape and look of the last on me. It took me 4 pairs of 38 Swing SD's to figure that out.

Sorry if my response sounded like I was being defensive or something. On my phone, chasing my toddler and buying way too much stuff on line--some of which did not work out. Now I have three pairs of boots on order...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, I love every 38 swing boot LE posts. 38 Swing also fits me well but I hate the shape and look of the last on me. It took me 4 pairs of 38 Swing SD's to figure that out.
I will be the first to admit they are not sleek, and they are not for everyone, but after 40 years of boots that never fit quite right, or rubbed my little toe, or were barely "good enough" for my duck feet, the 38 Swing was a revelation, and I never looked back... it was comfort over looks for me from that point forward... additionally, I am now to old and curmudgeonly to be "stylish"!

miggyramone

Reaction score
I will be the first to admit they are not sleek, and they are not for everyone, but after 40 years of boots that never fit quite right, or rubbed my little toe, or were barely "good enough" for my duck feet, the 38 Swing was a revelation, and I never looked back... it was comfort over looks for me from that point forward... additionally, I am now to old and curmudgeonly to be "stylish"!
It's a great last and definitely looks great on longer feet. I just hate how wide they look on my EEE feet. They did help me figure out what I need and don't need in a last, so I am thankful for my time with the 38 swing. I do wish I learned that lesson before I bought 4 pairs, but hey, you can't win them all.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
That Baker's sale was ludicrously tempting and I had a pair or three in mind I would've really liked...but I had some unexpected hardships come up, so no more boots for me for the year at least. Someday...

wordfool

Reaction score
Anyone have much experience with reverse chamois leathers? Having seen that new White's service-style boot on the 5050 last it got me thinking it would look great in a reverse chamois, much like all the plain-toe Vibergs and Alden-specials out there. Reverse also strikes me as a perfect combo of roughout-meets-WF -- deep dyed, not too nappy, not too waxy/oily, but very weatherproof. I wonder if White's has any plans to start offering Horween's reverse any time soon.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have much experience with reverse chamois leathers? Having seen that new White's service-style boot on the 5050 last it got me thinking it would look great in a reverse chamois, much like all the plain-toe Vibergs and Alden-specials out there. Reverse also strikes me as a perfect combo of roughout-meets-WF -- deep dyed, not too nappy, not too waxy/oily, but very weatherproof. I wonder if White's has any plans to start offering Horween's reverse any time soon.
That would be great. Reverse chamois is my favorite leather. Low maintenance with a rich texture and deep color.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrlenzi