• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they may just be a little too similar.
What can I do to convince you otherwise?
WTs and Captoes are about as different as they could be ... medallion adds more versatility to the gmto boot I think. I would say you need both.

IMG_5933.JPG

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to be your 12th man, but I already own these Allen Edmond Dalton Cordovans and I think they may just be a little too similar.

i61NpmT.jpg

hAh2Tur.jpg

I’m with @nishant , these two boots are pretty freaking different. Not to mention, C&J brown shell.

74A24EDC-1AD4-4C74-8D5D-F7369D9AE7B4.jpeg

Oh yeah, did I mention and they’re brown C&J shell.
85E4A271-1F13-4FC5-A5F2-6EF9D2A7DD14.jpeg

Jeff2D2

Reaction score

Well you made me pull out my boots, and they actually are a lot more burgundy than brown. I remembered them being more brown. Back on the fence...

LVB00lh.jpg

And I agree that cap toes and wingtips can be quite different. But in my opinion the implementation of the broguing and medallions in these two boots make them have a very similar feel. As someone that owns too many shoes/boots, I certainly appreciate the distinction. But for the average person I'm trying to impress, the difference is very subtle. :satisfied:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope I’m not out of line here; but for me I buy my shoes because I really like shoes. The fact that “some” people are impressed is just an occasional by product.

Honestly, most people don’t even notice. And, honestly it’s not why I bought them in the first place. But, to be truthful the way I buy shoes means I probably have a problem though :bounce2:

Jeff2D2

Reaction score
I hope I’m not out of line here; but for me I buy my shoes because I really like shoes. The fact that “some” people are impressed is just an occasional by product.

Honestly, most people don’t even notice. And, honestly it’s not why I bought them in the first place. But, to be truthful the way I buy shoes means I probably have a problem though :bounce2:

That was really just meant as a joke. To your point, very rarely do people notice someone's footwear. I absolutely buy shoes for myself, and the feeling I get when I look down at a nice pair of shoes. I only said that to make the point that outside of enthusiasts, the difference in design on these two boots could be considered subtle.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was really just meant as a joke. To your point, very rarely do people notice someone's footwear. I absolutely buy shoes for myself, and the feeling I get when I look down at a nice pair of shoes. I only said that to make the point that outside of enthusiasts, the difference in design on these two boots could be considered subtle.

Haven't you guys heard... "dont you already have that one?" From the wife or significant other? The differences can be hard to notice for the non-shoe enthusiast (or junky!).

On a more serious note, any recommendations on how those Dundees fit? I have the C&J Marlows (made for RL) on the shortwing and PTB. I find those seem to run what feels to me like slightly longer and ever so narrower, compared to similar size in the Alden Barrie last (adjusted for sizing difference - e.g.10.5 Barrie vs 11 marlow), for example. I have been lurking here but cautious to take a gamble on a $900+ MTO. Any guidance from someone here with experience?

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't you guys heard... "dont you already have that one?" From the wife or significant other? The differences can be hard to notice for the non-shoe enthusiast (or junky!).

On a more serious note, any recommendations on how those Dundees fit? I have the C&J Marlows (made for RL) on the shortwing and PTB. I find those seem to run what feels to me like slightly longer and ever so narrower, compared to similar size in the Alden Barrie last (adjusted for sizing difference - e.g.10.5 Barrie vs 11 marlow), for example. I have been lurking here but cautious to take a gamble on a $900+ MTO. Any guidance from someone here with experience?

After looking into multiple online experiences, I believe the consensus is to go with your 325 size or Barrie minus 0.5 in UK size.

A similar Alden makeup in Color 8 is one of my absolute favorites.

IMG_2565.JPG

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After looking into multiple online experiences, I believe the consensus is to go with your 325 size or Barrie minus 0.5 in UK size.

A similar Alden makeup in Color 8 is one of my absolute favorites.

View attachment 1156537

That’s my experience is as well. I’m 9E Barrie, UK8.5 on 325.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As far as price is concerned, I feel £850 with VAT is as good as it will get. I believe C&J quoted the price for this GMTO before their annual price increase. I was tempted to get in on the dundee, but ended up getting the now stock whisky Harlech ( prefer lighter shell in general, plus I participated in the brown Lindrick SF GMTO which should be delivered in May). Harlechs are now £780 w/ VAT (vs £730 in Feb), so my guess is GMTO prices have also gone up £50ish. Given how long it takes to get these GMTOs going, and relatively lower demand for the Dundee vs Lindrick or Galway, it may be another year before the next serious GMTO gets going. By then these could be £950 with VAT. If anyone's on the fence, I think this a great time to get in. Just my 2 cents.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah 99% of the time it’s just for me :)

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Dundee is on the 335 last which is the same as the Skye II. Having both I’d have to say that Dundee feels slightly more voluminous. I think they’re a tad more spacious vertically. I got mine in 9.5E and I probably could have gotten 9E. But I’d stick to your normal 325/335 last size jic.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
Well you made me pull out my boots, and they actually are a lot more burgundy than brown. I remembered them being more brown. Back on the fence...

LVB00lh.jpg

And I agree that cap toes and wingtips can be quite different. But in my opinion the implementation of the broguing and medallions in these two boots make them have a very similar feel. As someone that owns too many shoes/boots, I certainly appreciate the distinction. But for the average person I'm trying to impress, the difference is very subtle. :satisfied:

Don't get me wrong, AE makes fine shoes, and I have no regrets about the couple of pairs I've picked up from them, but I think you'll find that C&J is just a whole different class. If I were you (or in your shoes, at least) and didn't want both pairs of boots, I would pick up the Dundees and consider just selling the AEs here or on eBay. You won't regret it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads