• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. There is something wrong with it. The legs look odd to me is the major issue I have with it.

My point on the Mobler is that I have never seen teak with that kind of grain pattern that is seen on the top. It looks like oak to me.
Yes, I agree on the Hooker: legs and side-cuts and bottom deco are bizarre.

Also agree on that Domino: it doesn't look like teak-grain to me either, it seems "wider"-figured, like oak as you say. But I'm no wood-grain expert. SkinnyGoomba might be able to advise you.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm also on the quest for a desk. I came across these two desks, but I think there's something wrong with both:

The first is a "Domino Mobler teak desk" except I don't think the top is teak

View attachment 1214576

View attachment 1214577

Hooker mainline, but I've never seen legs like that:

View attachment 1214578

I keep thinking about getting a new desk as well. I've been using a LC6 table as a desk for the last 10 years (purchased for that purpose) and I love it but it's a struggle to keep it neat without drawers.

I've been trying to find a high quality wooden or metal file cabinet/printer stand/cabinet (with or without wheels) to provide some storage but I haven't been able to find anything good so far

I like the storage on the right side of the Kardiel protractor but I'm not crazy about the diagonal legs/floating stand on the left

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's flat sawn, not sure if it's teak but there is a very good chance that it is considering how much teak furniture was produced by Denmark in that time period.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
spending money on fine art photography is a stupid waste of money, right? $5K for a photograph is crazy . . . right?

Asking for a friend

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends. Does your friend own bicycle toe shoes? If so, I’d suggest that he cap himself at about $4,000 and get some non-bicycle toe shoes. If your friend doesn’t own bicycle toe shoes, then, sure, $5,000 is fine.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spending money on fine art photography is a stupid waste of money, right? $5K for a photograph is crazy . . . right?
Context is everything....

If it is a zalb916 photograph of bicycle shoes, forget it, even for $0.02.
If it is a signed Atget photograph of bicycle shoes, you might seriously consider it.
There is plenty of black/white/grey/even color in between those two extremes....

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bicycle toe shoes.
You're so right, my sincere apologies.

Previous advice revised to read:
"Context is everything....

If it is a zalb916 photograph of cycling bicycle toe shoes, forget it, even for $0.02.
If it is a signed Henri Cartier-Bresson photograph of a cyclist wearing cycling bicycle toe shoes, while sitting sur place for hours calmly reading the newspaper on a bicycle, you might seriously consider it.
There is plenty of black/white/grey/even color in between those two extremes...."

Now, of course, if said Lionel Hutz's friend wears non-cycling bicycle toe shoes, then zalb916 is entirely right, with some very minor corrections: $3,999 max for the photo, $4,001 min for an entirely new shoe-robe, and +/- $2,000 for some really amazing gin....

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A wise friend, who curated two major galleries and hires out as a private art consultant for more than I could afford to pay her, told me that photography is where she starts most "emerging collectors" as it is generally a far better value proposition than painting or sculpture and -- for most people -- it's also easier to find pieces you genuinely respond to.

That said, I have yet to go to a VC's house down on the Peninsula that doesn't have a Hiroshi Sugimoto seascape in it so, yeah, it can get overexposed -- figuratively speaking.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next project...picked up one of these French lounge chairs with footrest that folds under. I like the fabric but it's a little worn so planning to recover with this Paul Smith for Maharam fabric.

View attachment 1227667 View attachment 1227668
Definite yes on that fabric; perfect color/pattern/vivacity for the furniture imo.
And wonderfully not as "Paul Smith" as so much Paul Smith stuff.
Excellent choice.

Stripes matched-up and only length-wise, not cross-wise like the back pillow on the upper right chair; that orientation looks really awful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads