• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I second the rec for Kvadrat, that’s about as good as it gets in woolen upholstery fabric, particularly for MC furniture.

Reupholstering those seats is literally the simplest project of its type that you could take on. All you really need is a staple gun and some spring clamps.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thanks eBros. There is actually a place not far from here that sells the fabric.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third vote for Kvadrat / Maharam.

I would recommend "Tonus" specifically. We have had that on a Visser sofa and Paulin "Orange Slice" for ~10 years, and it still looks great. It is soft, comfortable, breathes very well, wears like iron, doesn't fade (yet, also not in direct sunlight).

If you have a licensed architect/designer/etc friend, you should be able to get a 10% trade discount from Maharam, but you won't need much yardage for chair seats only.

Bear in mind that on thinly padded chair seats like that, any wool fabric is going to compress and wear at the tight edges, and will show evidence of that. So, I would not necessarily reject leather for those seats at all, either.

Either material, yes, as imatlas wrote above, you could easily do the replacement yourself:
1) cut the new cloth shapes from the existing geometry (if in good condition you can even leave the existing fabric and padding in place);
2) locate and mark;
3) stretch and staple just as you would canvas on a stretcher frame:
start at the middle of one side, then on the opposite side at 180°, then 90°, then 180° again, and keep streching/stapling away from the mid-points until you reach the corners.

Like this: Stretching canvas/fabric onto a frame.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The first video in that link was part of an 8 weeks on-line course offered by MoMA on the NY abstract expressionists, which I just finished two days ago. Free (unless you want a diploma) and highly recommended, if you have an interest in this kind of thing. And it doesn't have to take 8 weeks - you can easily do a week's material in a day.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The first video in that link was part of an 8 weeks on-line course offered by MoMA on the NY abstract expressionists, which I just finished two days ago. Free (unless you want a diploma) and highly recommended, if you have an interest in this kind of thing. And it doesn't have to take 8 weeks - you can easily do a week's material in a day.
Yes, that MOMA program is good.

I have a friend, a very good painter, who does similar courses at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, but more involving the technical aspects of painting itself, Reanaiissance to modern. Really good stuff.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While we are talking about recommendations, how about mattresses? A good friend of mine distributes furniture so I use to buy directly from her, would generally get for ~70% off MSRP and she had a very good selection of higher end traditional spring mattress (with euro / pillow top). However, with the proliferation of online mattress companies, the market has gone "too competitive" (no wonder when you are used to 70% gross margin) and they stopped selling mattresses so I now need to get one like any normal person...

Anyway, my understanding of the online market is that there's a lot of good beds out there, but you cannot rely on any of the review sites as they are all driven by which companies give you the largest referral bonus. So it makes shopping a bit of a mess. We are looking at higher end hybrid mattresses so would appreciate any advice / recommendations, Also not wedded to buying online, but it's my understanding that the value you get is vastly superior than with any mattress / furniture store.

A little late on this but I bought a fully latex mattress from Sleep EZ https://www.sleepez.com and couldn’t be happier. Prices are extremely reasonable and the mattresses come with a cover you can unzip and change the layers out. When I first got mine it was a little hard and they were able to mail me a new Softer middle layer to swap out for free of charge. Feels perfect now.

Personally I prefer full latex over a hybrid. They last much longer as there are no springs to break down or inexpensive memory foam to wear out. Latex is the most durable mattress material available. It’s worth the investment if you like the feel.

brokencycle

Reaction score
A little late on this but I bought a fully latex mattress from Sleep EZ https://www.sleepez.com and couldn’t be happier. Prices are extremely reasonable and the mattresses come with a cover you can unzip and change the layers out. When I first got mine it was a little hard and they were able to mail me a new Softer middle layer to swap out for free of charge. Feels perfect now.

Personally I prefer full latex over a hybrid. They last much longer as there are no springs to break down or inexpensive memory foam to wear out. Latex is the most durable mattress material available. It’s worth the investment if you like the feel.

There is way too much configurability on that site. They'd probably do better if they just managed each layer for you based on preferences.

MarketTarget

Reaction score
I'll soon be moving to a house with a pool, which is surrounded by a fairly large patio. Looking or recommendations to furnish the area....outdoor chaises, lounge chairs, maybe a bar height table and chairs.

I have friends who tell me to stick with teak, and I googled:

nusantara_teak_kono_1_highres.jpg

This is made by a Canadian company Nusantara Teak. Anyone ever hear of them, or know another source for well made outdoor furniture besides the usual suspects?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is way too much configurability on that site. They'd probably do better if they just managed each layer for you based on preferences.

They have that during the order process on the site. You enter your height, weight and sleeping preferences. It then makes a recommendation for you and your done. IMO it was a good blend of customization and keeping it simple for the buyer.

The real plus for me was knowing that if I didn’t like the feel I could just swap a layer out for free.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hallingdal is the correct response to every upholstery question.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'm also on the quest for a desk. I came across these two desks, but I think there's something wrong with both:

The first is a "Domino Mobler teak desk" except I don't think the top is teak

Hooker mainline, but I've never seen legs like that:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Domino Mobler this one (style)?:
Domino Mobler Teak Desk (Denmark, 1950's)

I cannot tell if the wood is indeed teak or not from your photos, but the desk looks nice, even if I generally do not like those "let's intimate them with big, fat lawyer-tomes" open fronts on desks.

The Hooker...sorry, but it really does nothing at all for me, in fact it feels disjointed as hell.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Is the Domino Mobler this one (style)?:
Domino Mobler Teak Desk (Denmark, 1950's)

I cannot tell if the wood is indeed teak or not from your photos, but the desk looks nice, even if I generally do not like those "let's intimate them with big, fat lawyer-tomes" open fronts on desks.

The Hooker...sorry, but it really does nothing at all for me, in fact it feels disjointed as hell.

I agree. There is something wrong with it. The legs look odd to me is the major issue I have with it.

My point on the Mobler is that I have never seen teak with that kind of grain pattern that is seen on the top. It looks like oak to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads