• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contest: Help me name my custom clothing brand!

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
ZchaÃ
00a9.png

I just took the end of Michael and added a Z. Sounds ambiguous enough to be European.

Tampan

Reaction score
I like the idea of using your name. If your surname is impractical (Michael Tailor, Michael Polyester, Michael Womens), you could try:

Streetname Tailors

If your street has a nice sounding name. My tailor's shop is named for the street he started out on. This English alternative to his Chinese surname may have been a factor, I don't know. Or else, the name of your first pet. Even Petname Streetname Tailors. Kinda raunchy.

chronic

Reaction score
How about Michaels, with "s" at the end? "Michael" doesn't flow as well, i.e. "Oh, this is a Michael suit." "This is a Michaels suit" has a better ring to it.

Alternatively, you could use your Appreciation name, aka first name of your pet and last name of the street you grew up on. Mine is "Moe Grange"
laugh.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just use your last name. Anything else comes off sounding like a cheap mall brand. I'm struggling to think of an upscale menswear designer that doesn't just use a name. Make up a name like they did for "Ted Baker" if you have to.

Look at some of the Canadian clothing mfr names like Samuelsohn, Coppeley, not super easy to spell (I think I just screwed both of them up) but memorable nonetheless.

Whether your name is easy or a little hard to pronounce or spell doesn't matter, Ermenegildo Zegna is pretty tough when you first see it too. But a name commands respect, and if people here it enough times they will think "hmmm... he must be someone in the world of fashion."

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Just use your last name. Anything else comes off sounding like a cheap mall brand. I'm struggling to think of an upscale menswear designer that doesn't just use a name. Make up a name like they did for "Ted Baker" if you have to.

Look at some of the Canadian clothing mfr names like Samuelsohn, Coppeley, not super easy to spell (I think I just screwed both of them up) but memorable nonetheless.

Whether your name is easy or a little hard to pronounce or spell doesn't matter, Ermenegildo Zegna is pretty tough when you first see it too. But a name commands respect, and if people here it enough times they will think "hmmm... he must be someone in the world of fashion."

Jack Victor also Canadien. I like that name. Kind of cool modern masculine.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael & Michaels - Two of the same name is pretentious in the "yes, we really had the balls to name our company Michael and.... Michaels" sort of way.

Athelred - Anglo Saxon for something I can't remember. Google it. It looks important.

Justin Seer - Powerful name, powerful. I'm serious. Trust me, this is the best.

Michael: The Clothier - because everybody knows the ":" is dramatic, and drama is powerful, and everybody wants to be powerful... and something.

custom production - It sounds cool. Make sure you write it in lower case letters, keep it hip. And you can say it five times fast. People will never forget. Also, make sure to put 'tailoring' under it, you don't want to be too vague. Just vague enough that people are like... cool name. Wait, suits, what?

phaedrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raz
Saba clothing

Chess custam wear

Star clothing

Marl/ Marl's mens wear

Good Luck for your business

Saba clothing already exists as a label in Australia.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Some suggestions

6. "Affordable luxury" isn't a mantra, it's a cliche, and usually a lie. Anyway, nobody wants to be reminded that they're being cheap.

This is on point...true luxury was never meant to be affordable. If everyone can have it, it's no longer luxury.

Michael1981

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses. I find the styleforum community one which is always open to helping and supporting other members.

A client of mine actually came up with the name that I will be using for the storefront. It will be called 5th on King - Mens Custom Clothiers.

If there are any styleforum members here in Toronto who are interested in checking out the new storefront don't hesitate to let me know.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael1981
Thanks for all the great responses. I find the styleforum community one which is always open to helping and supporting other members.

A client of mine actually came up with the name that I will be using for the storefront. It will be called 5th on King - Mens Custom Clothiers.

Yay !! I will send you my measurements shortly
devil.gif

Originally Posted by gdl203
How about... "5th on King - Mens Custom Clothiers" ?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael1981
If there are any styleforum members here in Toronto who are interested in checking out the new storefront don't hesitate to let me know.

I'd definitely be interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads