• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Computer for music production

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Hi, so someone suggested if I'm going to use the new windows, that I get 4 gigs of ram. I looked on New Egg and it seems like Patriot offers the best price, but when I clicked on it, it offered all these AMD products so I'm guessing it's not compatible?

DDR2 like the Mushkin you link is what many (all?) Core 2 motherboards support. Look at the specs of your motherboard, and that should tell you what kind of memory to buy. Often the reviews of motherboards on Anandtech and the Newegg pages have pretty good suggestions.

A 10K RPM drive will be noisy and hot (which causes more noise because the fans need to run faster), but fast, so take that into consideration.

If I were you I'd spend a little bit more and get a preconfigured quiet system like this one:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...ml?id=NR6hUJFS

--Andre

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
DDR2 like the Mushkin you link is what many (all?) Core 2 motherboards support. Look at the specs of your motherboard, and that should tell you what kind of memory to buy. Often the reviews of motherboards on Anandtech and the Newegg pages have pretty good suggestions.

A 10K RPM drive will be noisy and hot (which causes more noise because the fans need to run faster), but fast, so take that into consideration.

If I were you I'd spend a little bit more and get a preconfigured quiet system like this one:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...ml?id=NR6hUJFS

--Andre

Noisy and hot are OK if you're not recording in the same room as the hard drive. If you are, then it's a no-go.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Complete and utter derail...

Ken, can you put that song up again? I'd like to download it.

A.

Sorry I missed this. I try not to pass up an opportunity to plug myself.

Though, I can't seem to find those songs at the moment. I'll have to locate them and get them up on my new server.

Anyways, here's some other stuff I've been working on lately:

tasteslikeskeletons
northpolio
hardiment

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Hi, so someone suggested if I'm going to use the new windows, that I get 4 gigs of ram. I looked on New Egg and it seems like Patriot offers the best price, but when I clicked on it, it offered all these AMD products so I'm guessing it's not compatible?

Again, I would definitely not use Vista on an audio machine. Not yet, anyways. There hasn't been enough time for drivers to be tested and bugs to be worked out. If you're set on it, fine, but be prepared for some headaches.

There have been great records recorded on far less than dual-core, 4Gig machines.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will 4 gigabytes of ram guarantee no stupid waiting time?
Unless you're using XP 64-bit, 4GB of ram is a complete waste of time since XP only allows the use of about 3GB. So, if you're running dual channel, then get 2x1Gb chips and 2x512Mb chips. I suspect that 2Gb is going to be enough though. For ram prices, check out this link: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...03731&t=499021 Generally, look at these postings on slickdeals.net before you buy.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Unless you're using XP 64-bit, 4GB of ram is a complete waste of time since XP only allows the use of about 3GB. So, if you're running dual channel, then get 2x1Gb chips and 2x512Mb chips. I suspect that 2Gb is going to be enough though. For ram prices, check out this link: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...03731&t=499021

Generally, look at these postings on slickdeals.net before you buy.

Going the 3GB route doesn't get around the inability for Windows to address memory above 2gb natively. In Windows XP Pro, if he uses 1000mb to address the extra 2GB in 4GB, he is left with around 3 GB of ram. If he uses 500mb to address the extra 1GB in 3GB, he is left with 2.5GB. Which is better? I guess it depends on what you want. Yes, using more than 2gb of ram in Windows XP is not efficient, but it doesn't mean is a total waste.

Alternatively, he could use Linux or a 64bit Windows and address all 4GB natively.

I have a 4GB laptop on the way from Lenovo, but I will use Linux and natively support all 4gb. Then I can just run Windows in VMWare and assign it 2GB... that should cover my needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads