• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color for Men Case Study: Some Issues in Applying the System to Bluemagic

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look better in the winter colors, but having read some of your posts, I think that being a Princeton(?, you are there, right?) intellectual and looking/dressing the part is somewhat more important to you than having your complexion perfectly complemented by the color of your clothes. If you want a balance, I'd second the suggestion to try tans with cooler/less saturated undertones. Dunno if it's not trad enough for your tastes, but A.P.C. makes a nice (very slim) trench that might fit the bill.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12-02-2008-1.jpg

11-28-2008-3.jpg

Pretty obvious, you'd look better in a grey trench. As said there are some grey "tans" that would work, but it'd be sub-optimal.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trench is OK--because the traditional trench coat is tan.

The "true winter" colors look quite good on you.

The darker browns will probably work.

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Bluemagic, I recently got "color for men" and began reading it. Based on your pictures, I think you look great in the "winter colors".

I'm also a "winter", though I feel like the book labels all asian americans as "winter"...even though the author left it open that asian can be of any season, I find it hard to picture asian being any other season based on her descriptions of the winter colors.

I'm still deciding if I should buy-in to what she says...one thing that is hard is the difficulty in distinguish shades (eg. warm grey vs. mid grey). I wish there was a more recent edition of the book or a website where we can rate if individuals are of a certain season

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the color wheel but as an Asian myself, I never tend to wear any colors too close to my skin. I don't know why, I just dislike the way it looks. I avoid tans/browns and usually stick to monochromatic colors. I just feel too washed out if I wear too much at the same time that's similar to my skin color.

But that's just me.

nbutter

Reaction score
another vote for you looking better in the winter colors.

however it's a different "look" (more film student, less poli sci). you may or not want that. meanwhile there is nothing wrong with the first pics.

you just do look better in the second ; )

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I don't know anything about the color wheel but as an Asian myself, I never tend to wear any colors too close to my skin. I don't know why, I just dislike the way it looks. I avoid tans/browns and usually stick to monochromatic colors. I just feel too washed out if I wear too much at the same time that's similar to my skin color.

But that's just me.

I think that is the gist of what Jackson talks about.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Those are really well composed photographs.
However (on my screen anyway) they've all got a sort of murky greenish tinge, so I can't really comment on your colors.​

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BM, you look much better in winter cloths.

Picture 1: the tan trenchcoat is okay but your pants (due to the picture angle) provided some contract to offset some of the muteness.

Picture 2: your face is blended into your outfit. pretty good if your intention is to not stand out.

Matching color and complexion for men is extremely important, more than fit and silhouette.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sunscreenboy
Bluemagic, I recently got "color for men" and began reading it. Based on your pictures, I think you look great in the "winter colors".

I'm also a "winter", though I feel like the book labels all asian americans as "winter"...even though the author left it open that asian can be of any season, I find it hard to picture asian being any other season based on her descriptions of the winter colors.

I'm still deciding if I should buy-in to what she says...one thing that is hard is the difficulty in distinguish shades (eg. warm grey vs. mid grey). I wish there was a more recent edition of the book or a website where we can rate if individuals are of a certain season

According to a small article in Men's Ex, there's Pinkish undertone or Golden undertone for Asian complexions, each suitable for different shade of colors.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do believe in color theory in a sense. But I don't think it can be judged from these sort of pictures - the color balance is off, and who knows how they end up looking on different monitors anyways. Color theory is about subtle tonal differences and those are hard to judge even in good pics.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I do believe in color theory in a sense. But I don't think it can be judged from these sort of pictures - the color balance is off, and who knows how they end up looking on different monitors anyways. Color theory is about subtle tonal differences and those are hard to judge even in good pics.

Disagree. I am a colorblind and have trouble telling between certain shades of red/green, red/brown, blue/purple, pink/purple, yellow/green, etc. But I never have any problem matching colors; it is the contrast between the colors thats more important. A difference in color balance is not going to throw the contrast between colors off.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think alot of it has to do with lighting in these pictures.

Though i will say you look better in the winter colors.

Exactly what I was thinking on both counts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads