1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Color for Men Case Study: Some Issues in Applying the System to Bluemagic

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bluemagic, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Lel

Lel Senior member

I don't know anything about the color wheel but as an Asian myself, I never tend to wear any colors too close to my skin. I don't know why, I just dislike the way it looks. I avoid tans/browns and usually stick to monochromatic colors. I just feel too washed out if I wear too much at the same time that's similar to my skin color.

But that's just me.

2. nbutter

nbutter Senior member

another vote for you looking better in the winter colors.

however it's a different "look" (more film student, less poli sci). you may or not want that. meanwhile there is nothing wrong with the first pics.

you just do look better in the second ; )

3. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I don't know anything about the color wheel but as an Asian myself, I never tend to wear any colors too close to my skin. I don't know why, I just dislike the way it looks. I avoid tans/browns and usually stick to monochromatic colors. I just feel too washed out if I wear too much at the same time that's similar to my skin color.

But that's just me.

I think that is the gist of what Jackson talks about.

4. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

Those are really well composed photographs.
    However (on my screen anyway) they've all got a sort of murky greenish tinge, so I can't really comment on your colors.​

5. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

BM, you look much better in winter cloths.

Picture 1: the tan trenchcoat is okay but your pants (due to the picture angle) provided some contract to offset some of the muteness.

Picture 2: your face is blended into your outfit. pretty good if your intention is to not stand out.

Matching color and complexion for men is extremely important, more than fit and silhouette.

6. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Bluemagic, I recently got "color for men" and began reading it. Based on your pictures, I think you look great in the "winter colors".

I'm also a "winter", though I feel like the book labels all asian americans as "winter"...even though the author left it open that asian can be of any season, I find it hard to picture asian being any other season based on her descriptions of the winter colors.

I'm still deciding if I should buy-in to what she says...one thing that is hard is the difficulty in distinguish shades (eg. warm grey vs. mid grey). I wish there was a more recent edition of the book or a website where we can rate if individuals are of a certain season

According to a small article in Men's Ex, there's Pinkish undertone or Golden undertone for Asian complexions, each suitable for different shade of colors.

7. lermontov

lermontov Senior member

I think that the winter photo looks best too

8. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do believe in color theory in a sense. But I don't think it can be judged from these sort of pictures - the color balance is off, and who knows how they end up looking on different monitors anyways. Color theory is about subtle tonal differences and those are hard to judge even in good pics.

9. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

I do believe in color theory in a sense. But I don't think it can be judged from these sort of pictures - the color balance is off, and who knows how they end up looking on different monitors anyways. Color theory is about subtle tonal differences and those are hard to judge even in good pics.

Disagree. I am a colorblind and have trouble telling between certain shades of red/green, red/brown, blue/purple, pink/purple, yellow/green, etc. But I never have any problem matching colors; it is the contrast between the colors thats more important. A difference in color balance is not going to throw the contrast between colors off.

10. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    i think alot of it has to do with lighting in these pictures.

Though i will say you look better in the winter colors.

Exactly what I was thinking on both counts.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Perhaps you could change your face color.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Hopefully, not to the extreme that Michael Jackson did.

13. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

Yes, he is right. Best get a new head! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But isn't it more simple to get the right clothes???