• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Derby Advice

Tommym3

Reaction score
So I bought these black derbies on sale a while back from To Boot, and I find I’m not wearing them very much. Any advice on best things to pair with them? Certainly I can wear them with my gray suits or gray dress pants, but I always prefer dark brown over black. Also, black is formal color and derby is a less formal shoe, so perhaps I just made a mistake buying this shoe in this color; ie, they probably won’t look good with casual pants or jeans.
E39CF5B5-E435-4CA4-8703-F019887418DE.png

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would look fine with any tailored grey or blue trousers, suit or separates.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
So I bought these black derbies on sale a while back from To Boot, and I find I’m not wearing them very much. Any advice on best things to pair with them? Certainly I can wear them with my gray suits or gray dress pants, but I always prefer dark brown over black. Also, black is formal color and derby is a less formal shoe, so perhaps I just made a mistake buying this shoe in this color; ie, they probably won’t look good with casual pants or jeans.

For me, the key to making these shoes work in an outfit is to wear something smart or semi-smart in the color black on top...like a black knit polo, or a black turtleneck sweater. Then no matter what pants you are wearing it makes sense to go with a black belt - and these shoes suddenly seem like a great option.

Couple of examples found on websites that might provide some ideas:

Black Derby 1.jpg

Black Derby 2.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People need to get over this hand wringing over “derbies aren’t as formal as oxfords” business. Ninety nine percent of the public will neither know nor care about this arcane ‘rule’.

I don’t own a single pair of oxfords and probably never will due to having high insteps. I don’t feel any less formal wearing derbies when I’m suited up, it’s not like you’re wearing chuck taylors with a suit.

I have one pair of black captoe derbies which don’t get worn much but they’re my most formal shoe aside from what I wear with tixedos. Weddings, funerals, job interviews etc they go with grey and navy suits. The more casual pics posted above look decent too. Yours might not get much wear but they are a necessary part of a well dressed man’s wardrobe. Through the ages James Bond has almost always worn black derbies when suited up in the films.

Tommym3

Reaction score
For me, the key to making these shoes work in an outfit is to wear something smart or semi-smart in the color black on top...like a black knit polo, or a black turtleneck sweater. Then no matter what pants you are wearing it makes sense to go with a black belt - and these shoes suddenly seem like a great option.

Couple of examples found on websites that might provide some ideas:

View attachment 2041447

View attachment 2041449
Now this is useful. Thank you!

Tommym3

Reaction score
People need to get over this hand wringing over “derbies aren’t as formal as oxfords” business. Ninety nine percent of the public will neither know nor care about this arcane ‘rule’.

I don’t own a single pair of oxfords and probably never will due to having high insteps. I don’t feel any less formal wearing derbies when I’m suited up, it’s not like you’re wearing chuck taylors with a suit.

I have one pair of black captoe derbies which don’t get worn much but they’re my most formal shoe aside from what I wear with tixedos. Weddings, funerals, job interviews etc they go with grey and navy suits. The more casual pics posted above look decent too. Yours might not get much wear but they are a necessary part of a well dressed man’s wardrobe. Through the ages James Bond has almost always worn black derbies when suited up in the films.
Well, I wasn’t really “hand wringing“ over it, just finding that these shoes aren’t as versatile and not getting much use.

Tommym3

Reaction score
OK not so much you but that theme keeps popping up on here where derbies are considered soooooo much less formal than oxfords which is largely bollocks IMO!
I agree with your premise- the particular derbies can work anywhere a pair of oxfords will work. I was just having a hard time getting good use out of them and wondered if I had made a mistake. Every time I start to put them in (blue or charcoal suit or dress pants) I end up wearing the dark browns instead. There is something about the black that looks boring/office clerk.
EDIT and thank you very much for your suggestions!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the last matters just as much as the lacing system. An elegant last like the C&J Highbury or AE Delray will be just fine with a suit, amd as you mentioned 99% of people will not consider you a peasant for not wearing oxfords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads