• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

brianoh

Reaction score

What kinda discount do staff get? I'm just curious.

I really like some stuff from CM, like their peccary gloves from last winter, and their Millerain fishtail also from last winter. But I have to say I've been looking at J. Crew more and more lately, for a couple reasons.

First, CM thought it was a good idea to release a whole bunch of 300-400 cashmere sweaters for the Fall/Winter season before merino/lambswool. Whereas J. Crew has a really nice "rustic merino" sweater with suedge elbow patches, which I got 2 of.

I've also found CM to be a little too plain/boring lately. But that could just be because I'm pretty stocked with my basics, so all I'm looking for is a sparing amount of stuff that are a little unusual. It's probably just my changing tastes and requirements, and nothing to do with them. Who knows.

RL/CM corporate gets 60% off non-sale items and 50% off sale items. I use my buddy's discount pretty often and bought a pair of the RRL chinos for 50 dollars a few months ago. Sick.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RL/CM corporate gets 60% off non-sale items and 50% off sale items. I use my buddy's discount pretty often and bought a pair of the RRL chinos for 50 dollars a few months ago. Sick.

60% off non sale items every beginning of the month no? and 50% off sale.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you look at RL, the stuff is more workwear/heritage. CM stuff is modern and minimalist although it does have a small selection of workwear/heritage stuff.

For PRL? I think workwear/heritage is more RRL or Denim & Supply, not Polo Ralph Lauren and certainly not Purple or Blue Label.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
worked at cm years ago but I think regular staff get 50% off regular price stuff, might be a new thing now with a limit of 1 item per month, and then always 30% off sale stuff. Also maybe only 30% on 3rd party. student card gets 20% anyway and such regular sales so not really worth it IMO to get the job just for discount.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

worked at cm years ago but I think regular staff get 50% off regular price stuff, might be a new thing now with a limit of 1 item per month, and then always 30% off sale stuff. Also maybe only 30% on 3rd party. student card gets 20% anyway and such regular sales so not really worth it IMO to get the job just for discount.

Except you can't stack sale code stuff with your student discount, as that's also a code. If the item's new price is reduced, then yeah, you can get the student discount on top of that.

The corporate discounts sound pretty great though.

Last edited:

meowmix1891

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with CM topcoat sizing? Are they tts or do they run small? I do not have experience with buying topcoats nor do I have experience with club monaco fits so I kinda have two variables to worry about.

Usually I am either a 42L or 44r in suit coat size. The problem area for me are the shoulders and arms. With the 42L, the chest fits nicely but the shoulders feel cramped and so they look bulgy. The 44r fits nicely in the shoulder but the chest is too loose.

I measured the shoulders of a nice slim fit coat that is 44r and the shoulders are 19.25 inches. Should I buy a 42 or 44 topcoat? I dont plan to wear with suits, but I do intend to use with lambswool sweaters.

Last edited:

89andy

Reaction score
Just looking for more opinion on the connor fit chinos.realize some people saI'd they are balls tight. But I'm of the type Where I feel the Davis are a bit too baggy. If anyone wears wings horns chinos If they couldrelate? They seem like they are cut similarly.

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Tried on a few sport coats today and the sizing is way different from the other CM sport coats I own from previous seasons. Sales guy told me they changed their model and not everything is shorter and slimmer. Anyone have similar experience? Sucks because old CM fit me great off the rack.

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
I don't have experience with jackets from CM's past seasons, but I have to wear one in Medium this season. I'm normally an S in shirts and sweaters and jackets everywhere except at H&M and CM.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried on a few sport coats today and the sizing is way different from the other CM sport coats I own from previous seasons. Sales guy told me they changed their model and not everything is shorter and slimmer. Anyone have similar experience? Sucks because old CM fit me great off the rack.

Agreed...CM size 40S Grant cut SCs from last couple of years fit me nicely, but this year's versions are simply too tight for me.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with CM topcoat sizing? Are they tts or do they run small? I do not have experience with buying topcoats nor do I have experience with club monaco fits so I kinda have two variables to worry about.

Usually I am either a 42L or 44r in suit coat size. The problem area for me are the shoulders and arms. With the 42L, the chest fits nicely but the shoulders feel cramped and so they look bulgy. The 44r fits nicely in the shoulder but the chest is too loose.

I measured the shoulders of a nice slim fit coat that is 44r and the shoulders are 19.25 inches. Should I buy a 42 or 44 topcoat? I dont plan to wear with suits, but I do intend to use with lambswool sweaters.

They run large.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing in there today at Eaton Centre and found this really awesome sweater made of Donegal tweed. It says Kilcarra for Club Monaco, $200 CAN. I grabbed it right away because I was on the lookout for a nice chunky sweater.

I don't see it online though, which is weird.

yesssir

Reaction score

I was browsing in there today at Eaton Centre and found this really awesome sweater made of Donegal tweed. It says Kilcarra for Club Monaco, $200 CAN. I grabbed it right away because I was on the lookout for a nice chunky sweater.

Is this it http://www.clubmonaco.com/product/i....12280933.12454392&ab=ln_men_apparel_sweaters ? I saw this in store the other day and it's pretty nice. I was going to wait for it to go on sale but it looks like it's selling out at retail.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$200 for a sweater? Damn don't you have a mortgage!?!

I'm going to start buying dress pants from them next year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads