1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by the_state, Oct 25, 2010.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

I visit the Eaton Centre location quite a lot, they do seem to have pretty much everything there. And as someone else said, their sale section is pretty huge, so you often find great deals there. The Bloor one is also pretty neat.

I really like how much third party stuff they have, as quite often it goes on pretty good sale.

2. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I'm not sure, to be honest. I have yet to purchase a pair for myself. Furthermore, I'm a 7.5.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  3. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

That said, as much as I love Club Monaco they do a lot of things that make me scratch my head.

Case in point:

[​IMG]

4. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

5. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Well, it's cashmere.

Pricey, but it's probably only available in one or two locations, anyway.

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

anyone remember the blue cashmere onesie? I think it was recently on clearance. Guess the market for that piece was smaller than they expected.

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I was referring to Club Monaco carrying a $2,000 coat in the first place. Though I guess carrying that coat makes their own offerings in the $400 - $600 range appear "cheap" and also helps position themselves as a more upmarket brand as they previously were perceived to be.

9. althanis

althanis Senior member

They had a cashmere baseball jacket for $1,100 or so, currently on sale for $800. They also had a big black shearling coat last winter that was well over $1,000 if I remember correctly. But yeah, cashmere onsie, what were they thinking.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have one or two pieces that are so pricey. Remember, they're right next door to lots of true luxury brands, so people are willing to spend that kinda dough.

I'm still rueing that grabbing the Barbour Commander jacket that briefly went down to about $250 before disappearing.

10. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

I bought that last year lol. I wanna say it was around $120? Doesn't even have a trap door, so wouldn't recommend, TBH.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  11. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Yeah, it's a bit strange, especially when some of the other brands they carry go for less. Pretty sure their Lardini coats didn't even go for that much.

12. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

Was at Club Monoco (Houston Galleria) location over the long weekend. Their current location is a new one and the mens section is really tucked away in the back (3/4 of the store is devoted to women clothing). Was able to find a dark navy Barbour Ashby waxed jacket in the sales rack marked down alot with an additional 40% off. It came out to around $80 with all the discounts.

Pretty cool find and for whatever reason not too many men go to this particular location, due to the arrangement and configuration it's occupies a corner location.

On the plus side, pretty much most things hit the sales rack so I'll check it out now every so often.

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Sweet find!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  14. bibbert2

bibbert2 Member

The Canadian web store has some Lock and co summer hats at a good price - c$175 with the current promo for a Madeira hat that retails for c$360 elsewhere.

15. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

No mention of Viberg on the Canadian Club Monaco website. Seems like a USA-only deal. [​IMG]

I popped into the Eaton Centre Club Monaco store on my way to the University of Toronto on Thursday. The men's selection is smaller, but it does carry Red Wings, Allen Edmonds, Anonymous Ism and other third-party brands. They even had a Lotuff duffel travel bag.

I'm giving their outerwear some serious consideration. Their wool/cashmere topcoat caught my eye; I was surprised to find it using Loro Piana fabric. I didn't have enough time to check out their other, slightly more affordable topcoats.

30% off sounds tempting, but I'm debating on playing the waiting game to see if they'll hit 40% off. I wonder how popular their outerwear is....

16. althanis

althanis Senior member

I thought the topcoat was pretty neat too. It's almost a duplicate of the J Crew Ludlow topcoat (but then again, it's just a style), except that one has 5% cashmere while the CM one has 10% cashmere and is from Loro Piana. CM stuff goes on pretty good sale sometimes, just risk missing your size. I've put it on my Wishlist, and if it drops low enough I'll grab another.

17. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Who else got in on the super-duper night-before-night-before Black Friday sale? On Wednesday night they allowed combining the current 35% off $400 with the recent 40% off clearance sale. I picked up some nice made in USA suits for a steal.

18. althanis

althanis Senior member

lol I saw that right before I went to bed. Luckily there wasn't anything I wanted that was on sale, so I was able to not purchase anything.

I saw a navy wool sportcoat, but by the time I saw the stackable sale it was out of my size, not that I needed a 4th navy sportcoat.

A few things that are full price right now I'm keeping an eye on, so let's see what happens by Boxing Day.

19. angelescrest

angelescrest Senior member

I'm trying to purchase either the CM camel Wool Topcoat, but I am comparing it with the J. Crew Ludlow Peak Lapel Topcoat in Camel. A couple questions for anyone who has seen this.

Is the color as deep (slightly more orange/red) as the J. Crew version? Or is it more pale and washed out (which I would rather not get) like in the photos off their website?

How is the sizing? With Suitsupply I wear a 40R but with J.Crew I wear a 41 R Ludlow.

20. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

Any Wednesday night orders with the stacked codes get shipping confirmation?