• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Thanks, Elio. That shows that Newman's suit is brown, not gray, and the tie maroon, not black. Here's a still clearer shot from BAMF.

I like the ensemble less well at that resolution. The tan in the tie medallions is too matchy with the tan in the shirt ground. iGent rules would say to go for a maroon grenadine or silk knit here--I probably would myself. What would you all reach for?

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK

Question: Can you give examples of the successful use of light colored ties (light brown, blue, beige etc.)?

Examples (pics) a must; extracting principles, advice, dos and don'ts good too.

Extra challenge: doing this against a blue shirt and darker blazer. Examples should speak to SC contexts so no wedding and other more formal rigs please.

I'll try to post pics later when I have time to search.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Recent one from @Mr. Six in the 10/5 thread. Exposure is a bit too bright for the tie, I think.

Again, focusing on ties that are tan, beige, light blue (light greens and light browns that are darker than tan seem easier to use)

LinenMoses

Reaction score
I'll post an outfit picture later this week since I'm still at work. I recently picked up a tie from Franceso Serraiocco which I'm a big fan of, Creme cashmere with blue and brown stripes which I have yet to experiment with. I think it would look lovely with a mid brown jacket, maybe slub linen, and a light blue shirt with a tall button collar.

http://www.fsgarments.com/shop/ties/cremestripecashmere

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, knit ties seem much to casual for a 3 piece, something about the texture and presentation. I wouldn't wear knit ties unless the situation was casual.
I think it depends on both the knit and the three piece, though probably true more often than not. But I think a black knit goes with most of the more formal/conservative three pieces

2c49344ef3846f4ade66bd713a225389.jpg

Cravatte_Noire (I recall that being a double breasted vest, but I might be mistaken)

Alternatively, many knits probably work with more casual three pieces. I imagine any number of knits would work with this:
2e81e146b8f93541948ad423d8943fa5.jpg

Braddock

Last edited:

LinenMoses

Reaction score
I think it depends on both the knit and the three piece, though probably true more often than not. But I think a black knit goes with most of the more formal/conservative three pieces.
Agreed. Slimmer knit ties (which still seems the be the trend) wouldn't work in a formal situation. I love knit ties but anything that looks slim just looks ridiculous to me, especially because all of my jackets have wider lapels, either notch or peak. Slim ties with wide lapelled jackets just look off.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think these are generally successful examples of lighter ties. The factor that seems most important to me is ensuring that the shirt is still lighter than the tie. The least successful of these IMO is the one with the red-striped shirt because it comes across as too dark for the tie. But I still like it.

Blue shirt

Blue shirt

White shirt

Blue shirt

Red/white stripe shirt

Same tie in #4 and #5

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking about lighter ties, in view of summer outfits. I'll try and find some online but off the top of my head, I remember PJohnson has put together quite a few pleasing combinations.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a few recent lighter tie fits of mine, some of which will end up in the 10/5 thread as soon as I take a few more shots. Not sure if the chive vanda really counts as light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads