• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Classic Americana" streetwear

Goblin

Reaction score
There are many discussions about various aspects of the "classic Americana" aesthetic in streetwear, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread. I'm very interested in classic Americana in style as well as the greater pop culture, so I'm starting a thread in hopes of getting an overview.

When I say "classic Americana," I mean workwear (Western or traditional blue collar), militaria, and classic athletic pieces, along with modern pieces inspired by those lineages, whether they subvert the aesthetic or play it straight. Carhartt, Dickies, Red Wings, Converse, M65s, Western shirts, work jackets, henleys, sweatshirts, thermals, t-shirts, chambray, etc. Brooks Brothers is certainly classic Americana, but not really what I'm thinking of.

I have particularly selfish motives because I'd like to start posting some clothing- and style-related posts on my Americana-related blog. This stuff is also the basis of my own wardrobe, but most of my items are by traditional makers (Dickies, Carhartt, Converse, mainstream basics) as opposed to "stealth wealth" Americana.

My own take on Americana style is anti-fashion by virtue of being cheap and minimal, and although I still have some punk rock influence (tattoos, Doc Martens rather than Red Wings or Clarks), I pretty much play it straight. My Nudies are my only current stealth item.

So, do these influences show up in your personal style? What brands and pieces do you like, and why? Do you have a personal vision of the aesthetic, and do you subvert it, stealthbeast it, integrate it with outside elements, etc.?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worn military and workwear styles since college. Growing up with grunge, I actually used to get a lot of stuff from secondhand and milsurp stores, but age and an income has made me gravitate a lot more towards the designer and diffusion versions of the same. I just find the materials and construction typically better, and most importantly, I find it more and more difficult to find vintage stuff outside of LA and NYC that fit my slim self well.

I suppose that this is all old hat by now, but my favorite brand in this category are Engineered Garments. I've been picking up lots of military inspired stuff by Nice Collective as well. And I'll troll around looking for designer stuff from 2000-2001, when military was really popular (Miu Miu made some killer outerwear that year.) I also wear lots of Converse and Filson accessories and products.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear some flannels/work/western shirts, a pair of vintage Levi cords, and some milsurp pieces. That's about it.

There are definitely a few members here that pull this look off, to one degree or another. Off the top of my head, I'd check out Superbobo and xchen's WAYWT pics.

Studio27

Reaction score
I remember somewhere in the shoes thread on superdenim GregNYC was talking about indy's looking classic workwear and I agreed with that. He phrased it something to the effect of, "indys are the kind of shoes a blue collar worker would wear when going out at night."

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I suppose that this is all old hat by now
Not old hat to me.
smile.gif
The reason I started this thread was to get people's takes into one thread, and you're one of the main "Americana" guys whose posts I enjoy reading.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I obviously am inspired by alot of "americana", both the workwear/military kind and "trad" (as in BB). Its hard to say what has drawn me towards the look, but history definitly is a part of it. I love garments that are made with function as opposed to looks. As a sort of "anti design". The chore coat is my favourite example, so simple and utilitarian.

My main brand is Carhartt, which I think is great, both quality/price and fit, but I like a lot of vintage stuff aswell. My taste (in part because of money issues) definitly is toward the "real deal" as opposed to designer stuff, but I pretty open for anything aslong as it fit the look I love. Lately I have (under the influence of EG and similar japanese brands) gotten more interested in outdoors/hunting clothes aswell.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Goblin, when I had my "classic Americana" period it was mostly vintage items like old work jackets from 60s, western shirts from 50s-70s. Shirt jacs from 50s-60s. Vintage varsity sweaters/jackets etc. Most of it acquired fairly cheap from vintage stores and ebay. You're into rockabilly so I'm sure you can guess where I was coming from.

The Ultimate resource I've found for Americana with a rocknroll edge is the book "My Freedamn" vol 5 & 6, which has TONS of great ideas for those interested in edgy Americana. Each book is $60 but well worth it as every page is full color high quality photos of gear, and each book is HUGE.

personally I'm not into brands that do a high street version of a low street style. So designer "punk, grunge, workwear" etc all lame to me because it seems contradictory to the original "subculture's" roots. That's one reason why I dig Bobo's use of "real deal" vs designer, it's authentic. I'm sure I have items that contradict my own belief there, but I'm a walking contradiction so it's ok.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Japanese Magazines Lightning and Free & Easy are great bibles for Classic American Workwear. They'll devote an entire issue to the likes of Steve McQueen or James Dean. I'm a big fan of workwear, more so the details than silhouette. I'm still in a comfort zone with leaner silhouettes so I'm finding the boxier silhouette of authentic pieces or a brand like EG to not suit my taste right now. If you need to track down the above mentioned titles Kinokuniya in NYC or LA will ship.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
american streetwear/workwear is documented quite well in Japanese magazines as rye mentioned. Huge magazine has nice photo shoots styled in the manner of 60s Americana, along with other periods like vintage college campus style, etc.

along with papoose i think cheep and selegna also do the classic American streetwear look well

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Huge is one of my favorite mag's right now. The styling and photography is really very good. A close second is Mens Non-No, mostly for the street shoot comparisons Paris, London, NYC & Tokyo. I don't get out of LA very much compared to when I lived in New York so these mag's keep me in the loop.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's Non no is good for the street snapshots you're right, although i feel most of the outfits they choose would get hated on online fashion boards. A lot of them focus on the wearer's style as a whole rather than things like fit (often times you might see stuff that looks anti fit, even in a regular streetwear outfit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads