• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea boots – a little embarrassing?!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Monsieur de Givenchy - if you can afford bespoke Kiton, then you can afford a stylist or a good style consultant to help you personally. If the reason that you're starting so many similar threads there is simply because you have some creeping uneasiness that perhaps money can't buy you style, then you'd be right about that. It can't. Some folks here have provided you some pointers (even though I think more than a few of us aren't convinced you are 'for real') and you can educate yourself. But in the end you've got to be happy with yourself and if it isn't a stylist that you need then perhaps it's a counsellor or a psychiatrist. I'm not saying this to be rude by the way - I currently see a counsellor and I have seen psychiatrists in the past - I say it as a something that, from my own experience, more people would benefit from if psychological issues didn't have such a silly stigma attached to them. Anyone who was happier with themselves would be more likely to be able to deal with the far more superficial problem of style.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
@Monsieur de Givenchy - if you can afford bespoke Kiton, then you can afford a stylist or a good style consultant to help you personally. If the reason that you're starting so many similar threads there is simply because you have some creeping uneasiness that perhaps money can't buy you style, then you'd be right about that. It can't. Some folks here have provided you some pointers (even though I think more than a few of us aren't convinced you are 'for real') and you can educate yourself. But in the end you've got to be happy with yourself and if it isn't a stylist that you need then perhaps it's a counsellor or a psychiatrist. I'm not saying this to be rude by the way - I currently see a counsellor and I have seen psychiatrists in the past - I say it as a something that, from my own experience, more people would benefit from if psychological issues didn't have such a silly stigma attached to them. Anyone who was happier with themselves would be more likely to be able to deal with the far more superficial problem of style.

I must say that I agree with the many people who have objected to you on this forum.

You are the reason Internet forums are unintelligent, unproductive, unfriendly.

Maybe it's true that money can't buy you style. But for you, that's irrelevant. it's not style you should be aiming for. It's basic good manners. What they used to call "breeding". Good luck.

I shall now send my messages directly to @dieworkwear.

AgentGary

Reaction score
Monsieur de Rottweiler is contradicting himself. He has bespoke Kiton, Armani and Paul Stuart suits but won't pay retail for brand new shoes? His C&J, John Lobb are all sourced from eBay according to his other threads. So maybe his "bespoke" suits are also sourced from eBay?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say that I agree with the many people who have objected to you on this forum.

If you look at the Messages-to-Reaction score ratio you get a pretty good idea of how constructive someone is and how much they are objected to. A higher positive score (higher Reaction score than number of Messages) would indicate that someone is generally valued, and the reverse, vice-versa. Take a look. I'm quite confident that I make a reasonable contribution to this forum.

I specifically posted helpful advice to you based on what has benefitted me. You can choose not to take it, of course, but please don't try to pretend that it was either unfriendly or insulting. I specifically addressed that potential concern in my post. But it looks like you were waiting to for a reason to pretend to be insulted.

Edit: And now I see you have deleted your post.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the **** is happening here?

One of 2 things:

1. The simulation we live in has an algorithm for internet discussions. The algorithm does not differentiate between anodyne and contentious subjects, so the end result is almost always an argument.

B. Most communication is nonverbal. Removing nonverbal communication can lead to both intent and inference misunderstandings. Because speaker intent and listener inference vary wildly from individual to individual-we all communicate according to our own theory of mind-we get misunderstanding and arguments.

4. Does it matter? Could we even distinguish between these?

I hope you enjoy some Arby's on this beautiful Sunday while simultaneously going to hell.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monsieur de Rottweiler is contradicting himself. He has bespoke Kiton, Armani and Paul Stuart suits but won't pay retail for brand new shoes? His C&J, John Lobb are all sourced from eBay according to his other threads. So maybe his "bespoke" suits are also sourced from eBay?

Maybe, I don't know. But in general, people should realise that there's nothing special about buying someone else's bespoke. It doesn't make it bespoke for you. It can work out, if measurements are provided that allow you to tell whether the suit is going to fit you or be near enough to be tailored to fit - I have a couple of off-Savile Row suits from the early 60s that fit that bill. They were made for someone else, but the measurements work for me almost exactly (I had the trouser waists taken in a little, that's all). I happen to love that early 60s style. But I wouldn't go around claiming they were bespoke. Vintage, yes.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I remember of the post, I can suggest what worked for me.

1 - Read the Die, Workwear blog. Derek's writings are not prescriptive and let you develop an eye for what you enjoy wearing and creating a cohesive outfit.

2 - Read Permanent Style. I enjoy Simon's writings where he suggests a spectrum of "Flashy vs. Fuddy".

3 - Follow social media accounts that follow your aesthetic. Here are some that I follow:

All of them have cohesive style and give me ideas on how to pair outfits. It helps that they may own a particular suit or SC I own.

I'd ignore the safari jackets as a replacement for the sports coat.

Embrace the failures as well. It took me 8 years to understand things, and I'm still learning every year. I've seen others pick things up within months of venturing into CM.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the Messages-to-Reaction score ratio you get a pretty good idea of how constructive someone is and how much they are objected to. A higher positive score (higher Reaction score than number of Messages) would indicate that someone is generally valued, and the reverse, vice-versa. Take a look. I'm quite confident that I make a reasonable contribution to this forum.
I disagree on the constructiveness conclusion based on likes. There is no quality metric to the post/like ratio.

I can post photos in threads all day to farm likes. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm constructive or non-objectionable.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I disagree on the constructiveness conclusion based on likes. There is no quality metric to the post/like ratio.

I can post photos in threads all day to farm likes. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm constructive or non-objectionable.

I believe the like system also didn't exist back in the early days (?) so older posters get screwed slightly. It's easy to crack a few jokes and post fits but at least your likes will indicate you're not a bad guy and they might even promote you to make more positive posts.

I think it's just an awkward misunderstanding and @FlyingMonkey is absolutely correct. Sometimes the problem isn't directly correlated to the subject, in this case clothes, but it's a little farther away. I'm not saying this is the case for @Monsieur de Givenchy but it's useful to have multiple options to think about.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read your post before you took it down.
My two cents. Dressing well is a skill like anything else in life (e.g. cooking, playing a musical instrument). Clearly some people are naturally better at picking out an outfit than others, and clearly some people have natural gifts (height, physique, facial features) that enable them to look better than others wearing the same clothes. But again, like other endeavors in life, anyone can get better at dressing well. However I think it requires some practice and some willingness to receive constructive feedback.

You mentioned trying to pair a black sportcoat with brown trousers and tan shoes, if I remembered correctly. That would be very difficult to pull off well. Like trying to make a risotto before you learn how to make a marinara sauce. Can you look good in a super-boring outfit of a navy sportcoat/pale blue shirt/mid-grey trouser/dark brown derbies? If not, why is that? Is it a problem of fit? Styling? Get really good at the basics first and then get more adventurous. I don't personally post a lot of photos of myself here but if you are willing to do so, I think you'd get some helpful feedback.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the like system also didn't exist back in the early days (?) so older posters get screwed slightly. It's easy to crack a few jokes and post fits but at least your likes will indicate you're not a bad guy and they might even promote you to make more positive posts.

I think it's just an awkward misunderstanding and @FlyingMonkey is absolutely correct. Sometimes the problem isn't directly correlated to the subject, in this case clothes, but it's a little farther away. I'm not saying this is the case for @Monsieur de Givenchy but it's useful to have multiple options to think about.
I think the only thing I can mention that likes might indicate is how agreeable someone is.

If I understood you correctly, and basing it off FlyingMonkey's reply to Monsieur, I do know that my own genuine neuroticism, anxiety, and OCD has gotten in the way of dressing well and finding what I truly like.

Pacing back and forth and taking 50 photos of one fit and then obsessing about it to the point of being unable to do anything else that day is something I've done.

I enjoy clothing, but it can be used as a distraction or for escapism in a bad way.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people think that mentioning psychological issues is an accusation - and that's partly because men in particular have generally grown up thinking that this is weak and unmasculine, not to mention something that makes you some kind of weirdo.

I have psychological issues, in fact I have Type 1 Bipolar Disorder (yes, I am really f*cked up!). I brought the subject up because, although it might be controversial here, many of us would benefit from rather more attention to our inner selves than we pay to our outer appearance, and I just got a sense from the now deleted post, and indeed from other things posted, that there was more going on than just style problems.

I apologise if anyone thinks that this was inappropriate.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it always that people that accuse or whine about bad manners, come into these things with the stubbornness of a toddler? Being direct doesn’t automatically mean bad manners - it’s just being candid which a lot of people could benefit from.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur