• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Tuxedo Help

agent86a

Reaction score
I am a grad student who needs a very inexpensive tuxedo for occasional music gigs. This isn't for black-tie galas (at least not yet) but I want to look as good as I can for the money. I realize there will be nothing in my price range (ca. $150-$200) that meets the approval of most on this board, but I would like feedback on the "least awful" option. It would need to be single-breasted, and I am not a fan of the shawl lapel, but other than that am open to ideas.

I have had no luck on B/S forum, ebay or thrift stores thus far, which were the first places I looked.

Other Ideas so far:
-Mantoni tux from overstock.com. Looks reasonable for the price that is being asked. Any experiences with these?
-Something off ebay? So far, haven't seen anything that looks better than the mantoni option.
-Jos Bank. Not as cheap as other options--is it really that much better?
-Locally purchased cheap tux from crappy store such as Burlington Coat Factory. Would be a polyester blend and of questionable quality, but they are cheap at around $100-$120.

I am a 40R if anybody has something in their closet they are dying to get rid of cheaply!

Thanks for the input!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same dilemma as you. I want a peak lapel, and those are hard to come by. My tailor can order a 100% wool for $300, but I'm not sure if it's worth it since it's in a wedding catalogue filled with ugly "tuxes".

pbc

Reaction score
For an inexpensive serviceable black tie outfit there are some options. See this post in response to someone's options for a formal dinner. How about new wool one-button jacket with pants for $50? It is notch lapels but for that price you can afford a nice shirt, which I wouldn't skimp on, and the accessories and maybe enough left over for a dinner or date at the symphony to try it out. (I haven't seen these items in person, but for this price it is worth consideration.) The other options at JCPenney (wool 1B jacket and pants for $110) are probably some of the best at that price point, baring an awesome find at a thrift store or inheriting your grandfather's dinner jacket.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck.
-pbc

agent86a

Reaction score
Thanks for the valuable input pbc. Unfortunately, the JC Penney tux (which is cheap enough for me not to worry about the quality much) is sold out in my size.

I'll keep looking around and let you know what I find.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...earSuits!17233 <- this might be too much, but you can sometimes get them a little cheaper with offers and codes etc. I got one for ~ £175 last year. It seems pretty decent to me for the price. Edit: Sorry just saw USD price, too much. Still if you can find an offer to bring the price down some more, well I think that's the cheapest you are going to get a decent looking new one. I do often see tuxedos in thrift stores for next to nothing though.

caligula455

Reaction score
if you have a little time, watch the JAB Signature 1B peak lapel. it will go as low as $230 if you catch the right sale. you are then in the game of getting matching grosgrain or faille accessories but its probably the best option in the price range and 100% "correct". don't forget that getting it tailored to fit well can be more important that the construction.

try ebay for cheap vintage studs.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Wow! $200 all in for the jacket and flat front pants. That's probably the best deal the OP will find on a classic 1 button peak lapel. Center vent but that can be closed.

I ordered it because I am in the same situation as the OP. It's the best deal I could find. $215 after tax and free shipping. You can't beat that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads