1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ceviche?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by shoreman1782, May 10, 2006.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

PETE- DIDN'T YOU MEAN TO SAY 40oz.
    And I meant to say "Keg." Or "Mauro's refrigerator."

2. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Try tossing in some avocado chunks when you make it. They add a creaminess that balances with the lime and makes it just really good in general.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

How do you pronounce Ceviche?

Se-vitch
    Ka-vitch
    Se-veetch
    Ka-veetch
    Se-veeshe
    Ka-veeshe

Any of those?

4. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

It's a Spanish word. Depending on where you are, it'll sound mostly like

Suh-BEE-chay

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

It's a Spanish word. Depending on where you are, it'll sound mostly like

Suh-BEE-chay

i can't begin to tell you how annoying that post is. the english pronunciation is se (as in "sell me your car" vee (as in "i just bought a vee-dub.") che (as in "let's play checkers."

the spanish pronunciation varies by country. in spain and mexico the 'v' is pronounced like a 'b'. in much of south america, they pronunce the 'v' as it is pronounced in english.

6. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Sorry that regional pronunciations annoy you to no end. Day-to-day living must be pretty hard for you.

7. matadorpoeta

Sorry that regional pronunciations annoy you to no end. Day-to-day living must be pretty hard for you.

tell me in what region they pronounce it like you wrote. no one says "suh". no one pronounces che as "chey" except gringos who don't know better.

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

Not to nitpick but I'd love to know how "ce" in spanish would ever be pronounced as "suh." That's just not a dialect I'm familiar with.

Matador's pronunciation is exactly how it's said here in CR and the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.

9. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Because in my head, "suh" is the sound that I wrote that's probably the same as "seh" or "se" or "say" or however you want to. If you want to bust out the international phonetic alphabet to remove all doubts, go ahead.

But yay pointless internet fight.

10. matadorpoeta

Because in my head, "suh" is the sound that I wrote that's probably the same as "seh" or "se" or "say" or however you want to. If you want to bust out the international phonetic alphabet to remove all doubts, go ahead.

But yay pointless internet fight.

it's not a fight, and kwilkinson did not ask a pointless question. he wants to know how to pronounce a word, and if you don't see there is world of difference between seh, suh, and say, you should not be answering pronunciation questions on the internets. peace out.

11. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

lol

A great one I had recently was shrimp, cilantro, avocado and lime with some very finely minced onions. I think the person making it used some red pepper flakes too. The shrimp was cut in a rough dice; they seemed to "cook" up faster than fish does when made in this manner.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

quick question: we have a local dish here in Manila that is almost the same as ceviche. From what I've seen, the vinegar is replaced after "washing" the fish the first time in vinegar. Is this also being done there?

13. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I had some ceviche last night entirely because of this thread and found it to be extra delicious.

14. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Peruvian ceviche is excellent. There is a place called Lima's Taste in the West (?) Village in New York City which has stellar ceviche (and other Peruvian dishes as well). Highly recommended.

Do be careful not to eat ceviche in Peru as a tourist, however.

15. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

I think we should have a ceviche club with official buttons and stuff.

16. whodini

whodini Senior member

17. sybaritical

sybaritical Senior member

I have a killer Ceviche recipe that I've served on many occasions that marinates white fish and raw tiger prawns for 3 days in lime, spring onion and orange juice ( find the orange juice sweetend the taste considerably)

Don't know if it's regional or not but served up over lettuce and avocado with hot sauce it's incredible . Will dig it out later and post it up.

18. migo

migo Senior member

There are a few places in DC that do it well. There is one place that I can't quite remember, Jaleo perhaps?

In any case, it's quite easy to make at home as long as you get fresh, good quality seafood. It's only a matter of the right amount of acid to cook the fish.

I had ceviche for the first time at Rosa Mexicana....I thought it was wonderful...like the OP said, heavy on the lime, but not bad. It's an excellent summer dish, I think.

19. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I had it at this nice place in downtown gainesville this evening since i saw this thread the past few days. It was ok. I didn't love it. I think it could've used more seasoning. The lime kind of overpowered the rest. Also, i just don't think i'm a huge fan of that kind of texture.

20. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

The best cheviche I've ever had was on the shores of lake Titicaca and it was made of pike. It was a huge amount for 3 dollars. The second best one I've had was a conch ceviche on the coast of Ecuador.