• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know that website well? Maybe they add extra 30%-40% to the original BC price

No, I stumbled across it as I was looking for a shawl collar cardigan from Drumohr to add to that I purchased recently. The price for the shawl cardigan is similar, so I think that the price increase (if any) is not overdone. But even at €500 that sweater would be overpriced. Having said this, again, I think that it's a crime to add synthetic fibres to noble natural ones: nobody needs that, the less our environment.

Last edited:

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
is cashmere a bad fabric for overshirts?
as long as it's a cashmere cloth and not knitted, like @Johnny80 recommended, whether that's worsted, flannel, or other weaves

I'd not pick a knitted overshirt in cashmere, just go with a cardigan in this case

Do you have something from Bottegiani? How do you judge their quality, about material and craftsmanship?
just checked, and Bottegiani seemingly shut down its MTO program, and increased the range of yarn suppliers, they added Todd & Duncan and Biagioli - previous year it was just Loro Piana's Corsehair and Cariaggi

Maybe I'm too trditionalist and conservative. I would like to have the QR code on a secondary label, together with the composition.
JoE is part of the Aura consortium, along with pretty much everyone else in the fashion industry (Richemont, LVMH, Prada, OTB et al), they are all putting their items on the Aura blockchain - just fyi

Johnny80

Reaction score
No, I stumbled across it as I was looking for a shawl collar cardigan from Drumohr to add to that I purchased recently. The price for the shawl cardigan is similar, so I think that the price increase (if any) is not overdone. But even at €500 that sweater would be overpriced. Having said this, again, I think that it's crime to add synthetic fibres to noble natural ones: nobody needs that, the less our environment.
At an retail price of €500 i would say its not overpriced by BC standards...and i bet BC has sales
But yes, at that retail price over $1200 you can clearly find something else, better, more refined and better made

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Johnny80

Reaction score
Maybe I'm too trditionalist and conservative. I would like to have the QR code on a secondary label, together with the composition.
Yes, while i understand the simplicity more clean main label, from practicality stand point looking to the future it is important for the showrooms since when the garments are on hangers or folded your customer just come scan and see everything and anything right from that mini qr code without even opening the knit. But again, for now this is just basic with some basic info, but in 10 years i think this will be the right thing to do. No more dozens of pages on the second label for everything in every language

Last edited:

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Do you have something from Bottegiani? How do you judge their quality, about material and craftsmanship?
I have a sweatshirt-style knit from them, 100% cashmere, and LP yarn.

Bottegiani is very nice, you can feel the yarn quality is solid, and tightly woven with fairly good finishing. It's actually very similar to Malo IMO although all my Malo knits are somewhat thinner and softer (but also more fragile).
395033669_288943680763539_1574502206766058601_n.jpg
395484592_1777547656037764_4738420848479834022_n.jpg

Last edited:

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Yes, while i understand the simplicity more clean main label, from practicality stand point looking to the future it is important for the showrooms since when the garments are on hangers or folded your customer just come scan and see everything and anything right from that mini qr code without even opening the knit. But again, for now this is just basic with some basic info, but in 10 years i think this will be the right thing to do. No more dozens of pages on the second label for everything in every language

I second this, I think it would be nice to see all other relevant info as well, such as fiber micron, gauge, cashmere source, when the garment was made, and maybe even the name of the weaver.

Now it's either these info is not available or it's listed on website but you forget these details after a while, especially if you start to build a wardrobe with multiple knits from multiple brands.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I wonder if their info about size and i quote them
"If the size you are interested in is not available, contact us, we will make it especially for you"
means that you can still go MTM ?
where is that on their website ?
No, I stumbled across it as I was looking for a shawl collar cardigan from Drumohr to add to that I purchased recently. The price for the shawl cardigan is similar, so I think that the price increase (if any) is not overdone. But even at €500 that sweater would be overpriced. Having said this, again, I think that it's crime to add synthetic fibres to noble natural ones: nobody needs that, the less our environment.

do you want me to check at the local boutique, where I bought mine, for different colors ?

Last edited:

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
I wonder if their info about size and i quote them
"If the size you are interested in is not available, contact us, we will make it especially for you"
means that you can still go MTM ?

I think they just mean if you need a standard size 48 but it's sold out, they can make it, sort of like a backorder. I doubt it's personal MTO and adjustments

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
where is that on their website ?

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... I think that it's crime to add synthetic fibres to noble natural ones: nobody needs that, the less our environment.

Though always much preferring all-natural (Giggidy), I no longer see the point in being overly puritanical here.

The very biology of our bodies is now thoroughly permeated by micro-plastics from our constant interaction with it, leeching into food&drink, and environmental pollution. As we ourselves are now already part-plastic, arguably it is more authentic for that to be represented by a % in our clothing :devil:

At least for outerwear, a well executed blend can also really improve durability and water resistance (I certainly dislike synthetics as base layers/directly on skin).

I would have missed out on a good few excellently designed+crafted garments if I'd adhered to this all-natural dogma. And what about your linings? How natural is that Viscose/Cupro??

Though for Bruno Coochie, considering how they sell themselves and their obscene prices, truly inexcusable.

Last edited:

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
I feel like the maintain downside of owning 100% cashmere is that it can be too warm indoors.
The blends can be nice b/c you get both worlds, but I'm not too knowledgeable about cashmeres.
Thanks for the suggestion - I was not aware of Bottegiani.

I like to think of Cashmere as a neutral garment for warmth, it regulates body temperature naturally, so the fabric lets you breathe during warm weather and protects you during cold weather.

There is a misconception that you feel hot by only wearing cashmere, it's indeed warm but meant to be as a layer and not act as the warmest garment as some people expect. (except for some cashmere scarves, I find them very very warm, maybe due to the very different texture in the weave). I actually think you can get warmer with a synthetic fiber sweater if you would wear it as a standalone, but that warm feeling is due to bad body temperature regulation so it traps all the heat but after a while, it does not let you breathe and you feel very sweaty and moisty. With that said, cashmere provides a good balance, not too hot with a moist feeling, but not cold either in winter.

cl smooth

Reaction score
does anyone make a good relaxed/oversize cashmere jumper? Every time I try one on it feels so slim/tight. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads