• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me have a thick Borrelli cashmere sweater.
Me suspect it made by Loro Piana.
It dry cashmere.
It never pill at all.
It beautiful and great cashmere item.
A landmark cashmere piece.
It bullet proof
i once had a borrelli luxvtg line geelong crew neck

pill, but knit really really tight

Knurt

Reaction score
So, where does Sunspel source its cashmere? For sweaters, they are telling us: «Cashmere is always a beautifully soft fabric, but this cashmere is even more special. The yarn is spun at one of Scotland's oldest spinners and washed in the pure water of Loch Leven, before being knitted on vintage machines at a looser tension than usual. The result is Scottish cashmere knitwear with a refined softness, great durability and a remarkable lightness.»

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, where does Sunspel source its cashmere? For sweaters, they are telling us: «Cashmere is always a beautifully soft fabric, but this cashmere is even more special. The yarn is spun at one of Scotland's oldest spinners and washed in the pure water of Loch Leven, before being knitted on vintage machines at a looser tension than usual. The result is Scottish cashmere knitwear with a refined softness, great durability and a remarkable lightness.»

Likely Todd & Duncan.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The yarn, and also the cloth? This is possibly good quality?

Maybe some confusion about the supply chain.

There are people who raise goats, and they sell their animal hairs at big auction lots to spinners. Todd & Duncan is a yarn spinner. Typically, this material (sometimes yarns, sometimes threads) is sold to mills, which weave fabric. This fabric is then sold to factories, who make garments.

For knitwear, the yarn is sold to a knitting mill, which will use it directly to make a garment. There's not a middle process where the spinner sells to a weaver, and then weaver to a factory.

The best measure for quality is the label inside the garment you're buying. I don't think there's much of a point in backsourcing things like this. IMO, a lot of people assume that factories are pumping out the same garment to the same specs, just endlessly to different brands. This is not always so, and sometimes factories need to be flexible to meet various clients' needs. It doesn't always tell you much to know who produced a sweater or who supplied the yarn. Someone could buy Todd & Duncan yarn (which is generally well regarded) and then knit with a lot of slack to save costs (and then the sweater stretches out). Or they do a poor job of washing the garment, and then it pills easily down the road.

I don't have any experience with Sunspel's cashmere sweaters but they are a generally well-regarded brand and I would be surprised if they made bad sweaters.

Knurt

Reaction score
Thank you! I sort of know this when told, but tend to jump to easy thinking. I do, however, wonder who knitted this cashmere, for the Sunspel text implies it was done in Scotland - and as far as I can understand you not by T & D. Anyway, all of this has made me, the man with the most poweful cloth shaver, curious.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I sort of know this when told, but tend to jump to easy thinking. I do, however, wonder who knitted this cashmere, for the Sunspel text implies it was done in Scotland - and as far as I can understand you not by T & D. Anyway, all of this has made me, the man with the most poweful cloth shaver, curious.

Sunspel own their factory I believe. They almost certainly make the cashmere sweaters there.

Knurt

Reaction score
Sunspel own their factory I believe. They almost certainly make the cashmere sweaters there.

Interesting. I have a merino sweater from Sunspel that started pilling almost immediately. Made in the same factory?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sunspel's cashmere sweaters are made in Hawick, Scotland. Its factory is based in Nottingham, where they make t-shirts.

This is Sunspel's factory below.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have a merino sweater from Sunspel that started pilling almost immediately. Made in the same factory?

Knurt

Reaction score

Knurt

Reaction score
This link should work:

no mention of woollen cloth as far as my quick look could see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads