• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me have a thick Borrelli cashmere sweater.
Me suspect it made by Loro Piana.
It dry cashmere.
It never pill at all.
It beautiful and great cashmere item.
A landmark cashmere piece.
It bullet proof
i once had a borrelli luxvtg line geelong crew neck

pill, but knit really really tight

Knurt

Reaction score
So, where does Sunspel source its cashmere? For sweaters, they are telling us: «Cashmere is always a beautifully soft fabric, but this cashmere is even more special. The yarn is spun at one of Scotland's oldest spinners and washed in the pure water of Loch Leven, before being knitted on vintage machines at a looser tension than usual. The result is Scottish cashmere knitwear with a refined softness, great durability and a remarkable lightness.»

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, where does Sunspel source its cashmere? For sweaters, they are telling us: «Cashmere is always a beautifully soft fabric, but this cashmere is even more special. The yarn is spun at one of Scotland's oldest spinners and washed in the pure water of Loch Leven, before being knitted on vintage machines at a looser tension than usual. The result is Scottish cashmere knitwear with a refined softness, great durability and a remarkable lightness.»
Likely Todd & Duncan.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The yarn, and also the cloth? This is possibly good quality?
Maybe some confusion about the supply chain.

There are people who raise goats, and they sell their animal hairs at big auction lots to spinners. Todd & Duncan is a yarn spinner. Typically, this material (sometimes yarns, sometimes threads) is sold to mills, which weave fabric. This fabric is then sold to factories, who make garments.

For knitwear, the yarn is sold to a knitting mill, which will use it directly to make a garment. There's not a middle process where the spinner sells to a weaver, and then weaver to a factory.

The best measure for quality is the label inside the garment you're buying. I don't think there's much of a point in backsourcing things like this. IMO, a lot of people assume that factories are pumping out the same garment to the same specs, just endlessly to different brands. This is not always so, and sometimes factories need to be flexible to meet various clients' needs. It doesn't always tell you much to know who produced a sweater or who supplied the yarn. Someone could buy Todd & Duncan yarn (which is generally well regarded) and then knit with a lot of slack to save costs (and then the sweater stretches out). Or they do a poor job of washing the garment, and then it pills easily down the road.

I don't have any experience with Sunspel's cashmere sweaters but they are a generally well-regarded brand and I would be surprised if they made bad sweaters.

Knurt

Reaction score
Thank you! I sort of know this when told, but tend to jump to easy thinking. I do, however, wonder who knitted this cashmere, for the Sunspel text implies it was done in Scotland - and as far as I can understand you not by T & D. Anyway, all of this has made me, the man with the most poweful cloth shaver, curious.

reidd

Reaction score
Thank you! I sort of know this when told, but tend to jump to easy thinking. I do, however, wonder who knitted this cashmere, for the Sunspel text implies it was done in Scotland - and as far as I can understand you not by T & D. Anyway, all of this has made me, the man with the most poweful cloth shaver, curious.
Sunspel own their factory I believe. They almost certainly make the cashmere sweaters there.

Knurt

Reaction score
Sunspel own their factory I believe. They almost certainly make the cashmere sweaters there.
Interesting. I have a merino sweater from Sunspel that started pilling almost immediately. Made in the same factory?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sunspel's cashmere sweaters are made in Hawick, Scotland. Its factory is based in Nottingham, where they make t-shirts.

This is Sunspel's factory below.

Knurt

Reaction score
Sunspel's cashmere sweaters are made in Hawick, Scotland. Its factory is based in Nottingham, where they make t-shirts.

This is Sunspel's factory below.

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • cr2596

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Crafty Cumbrian