• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

hysteria

Reaction score
S for normal fit (65kgs would not be issue, I have room left at waist), M for oversized/relaxed fit. I also think it depends how you wanna layer it or whether you want to wear it as standalone piece. Always an option to ask in the Cavour thread for advice, Kevin (the co-owner) answers quickly!

Not sure what kind of pattern you are looking for, but Gran Sasso has some nice subtle patterns in knits. Pini parma has nice cable knits. Not in cashmere per se though.

Yes PIni has some nice knits. Their merinos are on the expensive end - I do wonder if they are superior to SM's merinos.

I bougth this one from SM this year, which is a beautiful rendition of the typical "smaller" scale cable knit pattern: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/cream---chunky-cable-turtleneck--51002-cky-cbl-fw22-642

I get lots of compliments b/c of the pattern/texture. However, it's ok...the merino could be better.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Yes PIni has some nice knits. Their merinos are on the expensive end - I do wonder if they are superior to SM's merinos.

I bougth this one from SM this year, which is a beautiful rendition of the typical "smaller" scale cable knit pattern: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/cream---chunky-cable-turtleneck--51002-cky-cbl-fw22-642

I get lots of compliments b/c of the pattern/texture. However, it's ok...the merino could be better.

IMHO , yes, Pini Parma knits are better. Both construction wise and yarn wise.

I have PP cable knit crewneck and SM cable tennis sport V-neck. Both in white/ecru and the SM one is rather loosely knitted and even a little bit see-through if not for the very crisp white colour. Not much wear and thus not much pilling but I do see some loose threads here and there, though nothing major. On hand, if you stretch both garments, the PP one does recover better its shape. PP is also softer, but I honestly think that's totally normal as PP one is a merino 90/cashmere 10 mix while SM is just plain merino wool. Fit of both are great, but SM is often inconsistent in that aspect.

hysteria

Reaction score
IMHO , yes, Pini Parma knits are better. Both construction wise and yarn wise.

I have PP cable knit crewneck and SM cable tennis sport V-neck. Both in white/ecru and the SM one is rather loosely knitted and even a little bit see-through if not for the very crisp white colour. Not much wear and thus not much pilling but I do see some loose threads here and there, though nothing major. On hand, if you stretch both garments, the PP one does recover better its shape. PP is also softer, but I honestly think that's totally normal as PP one is a merino 90/cashmere 10 mix while SM is just plain merino wool. Fit of both are great, but SM is often inconsistent in that aspect.

I do find that some texture def adds some depth to the turtlenecks. Otherwise it can get a bit boring and look the same. Even the standard cableknit looks a bit bland now b/c it's so common.
I will take a closer look at PP's turtlenecks and will prob end up ordering one of the Cavour ones.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
I do find that some texture def adds some depth to the turtlenecks. Otherwise it can get a bit boring and look the same. Even the standard cableknit looks a bit bland now b/c it's so common.
I will take a closer look at PP's turtlenecks and will prob end up ordering one of the Cavour ones.

Personally, I try to find the whole aesthetic matching to make a basic piece 'pop'. It's about finding the right colours, layering technique, pairing and fit. What is a very plain and boring turtleneck can be really flattering if paired well (see IOLO) ,a simple crewneck can look chic (see LP/ BC aesthetic), and the ever-old fashioned V-neck can look awesome again with the right fit (see Rubato) etc.. But I definitely agree that some more fun colours or patterns on the streets can really be refreshing to see!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New addition, a turtleneck jumper in wool (80%) and cashmere (20%) from Della Ciana in a nice and refreshing green.

20230214_104731.jpg
20230214_104900.jpg
20230214_104939.jpg
20230214_104915.jpg
20230214_105044.jpg

It's a EU 48 size, 51 cm pit to pit, trim fit.

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
New in, William Lockie Gordon geelong cardigan in Lapis.

View attachment 1884873 View attachment 1884874 View attachment 1884875 View attachment 1884876

It's a EU 48 size, 53 cm pit to pit. The sleeve length might be somehow skimpy, but I learnt to stretched it a bit with some ironing work.

Dear @DorianGreen,

I just wanted to ask you on this, but I totally forgot!

Is it a matter of long arms, or the cardigan has really short sleeves? One needs to consider that it has also turn-back cuffs just like the WL Oxton.

Could you please take a measurement either from its upper (sleeve-head to sleeve cuff) or from its lower side (arm-hole to sleeve-cuff) with the cuff turned-back and inform us?

Finally, I suspect that these Cardigans are somehow long; since you'll be in the hassle, could you please measure this as well & let us know: below the collar-placket or total length, your choice.

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Dimitris

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @DorianGreen,

Is it a matter of long arms, or the cardigan has really short sleeves? One needs to consider that it has also turn-back cuffs just like the WL Oxton.

Could you please take a measurement either from its upper (sleeve-head to sleeve cuff) or from its lower side (arm-hole to sleeve-cuff) with the cuff turned-back and inform us?

Finally, I suspect that these Cardigans are somehow long; since you'll be in the hassle, could you please measure this as well & let us know: below the collar-placket or total length, your choice.

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Dimitris

I'll be pleased to do it. As I said in my latest post, I have pretty long arms.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @DorianGreen,

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Dimitris

So, here we go: 70 cm body length (on the back, including the collar), 52 cm sleeve total length on the under side from pit to end, 46 cm with turned back (at the joining point) cuff.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New in is a 4-ply crewneck from Eric Bompard in camel color bought on sale with -30% discount. This brand is relatively unknown here on the forum, but it's the reference brand for cashmere knits in France. The brand is widely dubbed as the "king of cashmere" in France, but to be fair, there are only a handful brands in this niche active there, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yarn is supplied by Erdos (the Chinese monopolist in cashmere) and in fact, Erdos reportedly owns 20% stake in Eric Bompard. I'm personally a believer in corporate favoritism, so the yarn supply could be of privileged quality for Eric Bompard.

I also love how the camel is toned down a bit and it really goes well with casual jeans too and not only chino's. View attachment 1888465 View attachment 1888467 View attachment 1888469 View attachment 1888471

Had overlooked this post. Very nice colour and, from what I see, nice gauge and weight. Is it made in France? How would you judge the quality, yarn, style, construction, fit, in comparison with other brands?

hysteria

Reaction score
Filling the gap about shawl collar cardigans. Curiously had dismissed this style long time, only recently it has grown on me.

View attachment 1903481 View attachment 1903483 View attachment 1903485 View attachment 1903487

It's a McGeorge Talisker cardigan in a wool/cashmere (90/10%) mix in a nice subdued yellow shade called Ananas . EU48 size, 53 cm pit to pit.

Shawl collar cardigans are a staple for me. Looks good with v-necks underneath, dress shirts. Can be casual or formal. Very cozy. This is a beautiful colour.

I have never heard of McGeorge. Feel free to share more about the brand and how you find the quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads