• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cars!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to own a S4, it is a bit underpowered from the factory, it really needs chip, intake, exhaust, and its turbos are REALLY small, which contributes to no lag, but it doesn't really feel like a turbo car to me.

MB makes the best automatic transmissions in the world, and with that particular car, their ****** does a better job of putting power to the ground than most manuals... I think it would be a fun car with a manual but I think you would have very serious traction problems with 513 lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm with a manual ******.
current S4 is normally aspirated V8 and is fantastic

TheRookie

Reaction score
I used to own a S4, it is a bit underpowered from the factory, it really needs chip, intake, exhaust, and its turbos are REALLY small, which contributes to no lag, but it doesn't really feel like a turbo car to me.

MB makes the best automatic transmissions in the world, and with that particular car, their ****** does a better job of putting power to the ground than most manuals... I think it would be a fun car with a manual but I think you would have very serious traction problems with 513 lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm with a manual ******.
What about the new MB SL65 - 604 hp and 738 lb-ft with an automatic ******? Yikes...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Auto ******** have the potential to have higher power handling than manual ********. MB has done a good job engineering their transmissions to handle a high amount of power, transmissions from the factory typically don't have that level of power handling, so AMG did a good job with development.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That SL65 is pretty incredible on paper. But, when flipping through a recent car mag that reviewed it, I couldn't help but positively covet the Ferrari that was priced less than the MB and was faster. I suppose the SL65 is more of a stealth car, for someone who wants (nearly) the most expensive sports car on the block but doesn't want to look overly ostentatious.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Ferrari 430 isn't faster than the MB, the MB traps 6 mph higher in the 1/4, the only reason it isn't faster in the 1/4 stock is because of traction issues, put some better tires on it and it will be a much faster car than the 430, that doesn't make the 430 any less of a car, I've test driven one and it's utterly badass, as is the MB.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That SL65 is pretty incredible on paper.

I was in a souped up SL in the summer (not an SL65 but with comparable numbers) and the acceleration was just stupid. The greatest part is you know it could keep going.  To back-up what Drizz was saying I saw the SL65 reviewd on BBC's Top Gear and they had a professional tug-of-war team win a contest with the MB, the car just couldn't get traction. It was pretty amazing to see a dozen or so men win against a car with 600+ pound feet of torque.

A.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Put some 17s with Nitto or BFG drag radials on that car and it would be deep in the 11s with that 126 mph trap...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MB Killer:
Ferrari%20Enzo%204.jpg
SL65 my gluteus maximus. Jon.

TheRookie

Reaction score
Auto ******** have the potential to have higher power handling than manual ********.
I can see that. My father in law has a 33 Ford Hot Rod that has 600+ hp and what I believe is a 3 speed automatic.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love when you get into conversations about supremely high-end/high horsepower cars. The spaces in which you can enjoy, no less explore the limits, of these cars is extremely limited. And let's not even start considering posessing the skill necessary to push a 500hp+ sports car... That being said, my vote for uber-fast and sexy modern sports car goes to: The Spyker C8 The Koenigsegg CC8S

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kabert: It's a high 11 sec car from the factory, mine has some slight modifications, so it's a bit faster. I don't pay much attention to 0-60 times because they're so traction dependent, but somewhere in the 4 second range sounds right. Just for reference, most "street" class cars on slicks (full chassis, independent rear suspension or stock rear end (for a non IRS car), windows, headlights, etc... that run in the 9s and 10s will exceed 60 mph before they finish the 60', giving them 0-60 times in the 1.5-1.8 second range. image, the enzo isn't even in the same class of car, the SLR would be a better comparison with the Enzo... Aaron: I wouldn't say that
smile.gif
I have a couple high hp cars that I've been able to use quite effectively on the freeway at least, it isn't too particularly difficult to go 150+ on a major highway, at least not at night. Before going back to b-school I was in the import performance business (owned a import/export company) and was heavily involved in drag and road course racing... 600+ rwhp is usable with the right tires and right suspension setup, and some people bring far more to the street. As for skill, yes it's quite easy to kill yourself with a high powered car, even one that's pretty stock like my 996T... A couple pictures of one of my toys... 93 Supra T66 Single Turbo (~700 rwhp)
supradrive2.jpg
sparkplugcover.jpg
I have a couple other street and race cars besides the three I've mentioned as well.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drizz, what else do you drive?

Also, I've always wondered, what do you tell the insurance company -- that you drive a 1993 Supra Turbo? I guess one of the insurance co. questions isn't "is it modded out to Fast & Furious levels."

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kabert,

I currently own 6 cars, 4 of which are more or less garaged:

2 93 Supras (both single turbo conversion, the blue one used to be more of a daily driver, now both sit unless I am in the mood for real power, 700 and 1000 rwhp respectively)

69 Corvette Stingray (under construction, big block project)

92 300zx turbo (HKS GT2530s and supporting mods) 5 spd, T-Top, a pretty fun car to drive, I bought this off my friend for a fairly low price, but it mostly sits, not as fun to drive as the Porsche.

The two cars that I drive daily are:

2000 Honda Accord EX: bone stock other than stereo

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo: lightly modified, air filter, fpr, ECU, but pretty fun car nonetheless. This car is just for weekend use really.

As for the second part of your question, yes I don't insure the modifications on the car, just the car itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads